It's raining...again

aging_rocker

Poster Extraordinaire
Thanks for your thoughts and prayers.

Although we personally haven't been affected, many thousands have had their homes, businesses and lives devastated.

My work colleague who volunteers for Urban Search & Rescue is out on 'welfare checking' duties. He sent me a message late last night, he's operating about 20 miles from where I live (it got that close...)

He said "We have been doing welfare checks in the area. Lots of landslips & fallen trees along the roads, some washed-out bridges and lots of signs of very high flood waters. Will be continuing further south tomorrow."

All the emergency responders are true heroes. A couple of firefighters have sadly lost their lives.
The number of confirmed deaths is rising, and many are still unaccounted for. My friends have still had no contact with their elderly relatives in Gisborne.

Communications, power and water supplies are severely compromised for many.

1676577645782.png

aging_rocker

Poster Extraordinaire
Another update - my friends have finally managed to get word that their elderly relatives in Gisborne are safe!

Unfortunately the news isn't improving:
Gisborne residents have been asked to stop using water immediately as the region's water plant has failed, in what has been described as a "major crisis".
The situation is described as critical.

Here's a local news report from yesterday:

Monoprice99

Tele-Meister
Thanks for your thoughts and prayers.

Although we personally haven't been affected, many thousands have had their homes, businesses and lives devastated.

My work colleague who volunteers for Urban Search & Rescue is out on 'welfare checking' duties. He sent me a message late last night, he's operating about 20 miles from where I live (it got that close...)

He said "We have been doing welfare checks in the area. Lots of landslips & fallen trees along the roads, some washed-out bridges and lots of signs of very high flood waters. Will be continuing further south tomorrow."

All the emergency responders are true heroes. A couple of firefighters have sadly lost their lives.
The number of confirmed deaths is rising, and many are still unaccounted for. My friends have still had no contact with their elderly relatives in Gisborne.

Communications, power and water supplies are severely compromised for many.

View attachment 1085915
As bad as FL is for Hurricanes for flood water, higher winds, etc., at least there are no mountains for mudslides from heavier rains.