It's official: the Eighties are back.

ChubbyFingers

Tele-Holic
That’s right. I remember that. :(

Immense amount of talent taken too young.

Per OP, however, I just have to say it doesn’t make the chorus tones in their songs (or the actual songs) sound any better to me 30+ years later. :oops:

Finely tooled pop songs, not to be taken too seriously or with any expectation of a long shelf life.

Maybe it's bad taste on my part, but I liked this song then and I still like it now. What's wrong with it? Wish I had that Ric and that long thin coat.

ChubbyFingers

Tele-Holic
For me personally the 80s were all about study : O-levels in 82, A-levels in 84, 4-year degree finals in 88.

Lots of fun in between though.

Music? British heavy metal revival in the first half, more progressive in the second half once all those pretty boy LA hair bands started to appear.

Yes I saw Bon Jovi. Supporting UFO in 82 or 83. They were crap.

Worst of the 80s? Without a doubt Duran Duran. Simon le Bon couldn't hold a note.

mexicanyella

Friend of Leo's
I still like it when I hear Mr. Mister on the radio. I liked them back in their days of regular rotation and to me “Broken Wings” and “Kyrie” hold up today. My 18-year-old son and I were driving to the grocery store last night in his Prius, listening to a bland hits-oriented corporate crap station and “Kyrie” came on. I said “Cool, haven’t heard this in a long time,” and he said “Oh, Mr. Mister?” and reached over and turned it up. I was kind of surprised he knew who they were. I don’t remember any of the other songs from that album, but I remember liking the whole cassette back in the day and wearing it out.

Another one I liked from around that time, though I don’t connect with the video:

I always liked how it comes out of the first opening chorus into the first verse (1:05-1:18) and the solo (2:55). Talk about some 80s rack-saturated tone...

mexicanyella

Friend of Leo's
One other thought: I used to dislike Tom Cochrane’s song “Life is a Highway,” until I saw “Cars” and kinda dug Rascal Flats’ cover of it. Now I like both versions. RF’s version has those slick Gary LeVox vocals and seamless production but the rawer, earlier original appeals to me now.

1300 E Valencia

Friend of Leo's
Best Tone Evah! :lol:
I looked up Billboard charts for February 1982, when my kid was born. I was in a band then, and to my everlasting shame, I still know every one of those tunes! Every one of which had a Boss CE-2 on it! :eek:

EllroyJames

Poster Extraordinaire
Bring it on again.

mullet.png

naveed211

Friend of Leo's
Don’t mind the chorus pedal, that sounded more 80s than anything on there.

Otherwise all I can hear is that wretched squashed to sh*t overdrive tone a lot of those young technical players are going for (blame Polyphia). Instead of too much gain, now it sounds like everyone has two Dyna Comps on full.

micpoc

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
Yvette is bringing back the eighties "Bad Quack" guitar sound.
Probably my favorite example of this so-called "bad" quack; JW-O starts veering into Richard Thompson territory on the ending solo...

Last edited:

Daddy Hojo

Friend of Leo's
If you doubt the 80s are back, listen to “Bad Decisions” by the Strokes, or “Blinding Lights” by The Weeknd.

mexicanyella

Friend of Leo's
Probably my favorite example of this so-called "bad" quack; JW-O starts veering into Richard Thompson territory on the ending solo...

Wow, that solo tone is pretty compressed, but the zingy treble saves it to my ear; it’s a pretty extreme sort of “artificial effect tone,” but an interesting one in a wide-open, spacious arrangement like this (kind of like Robert Plant’s “In the Mood” and “Big Log.”

Another example of this kind of tone, in amongst some dirtier (but also really compressed and “racked out”...Kim Mitchell did some pretty cool guitar playing with complimentary tones back then (‘84-ish).