It's official...Rock & Roll is dead

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Jackson Jackson, Nov 21, 2008.

1. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

I'm just saying that complaining about the late night television programming and MTV is pointless. They will always include the worst and sometimes the best of popular culture. They have never been the pinnacle of high art, and I'm not sure that many of us did look to those shows to show us the best in upcoming national acts.
    And if you're gonna be sick about it, then you need to get out of the house more.
    The quality of MTV or late night TV says nothing about the state of rock and roll. It does, however, say a lot about the people who watch those shows and the kinds of things they want to see.

2. casterway

casterway Friend of Leo's

Not dead as long as this guy is kicking...

3. Jimo

Jimo Tele-Afflicted

NO way

[ At the end of the show, we realized that they were a cover band for a band we'd never heard of: Black Label Society.
    .......................................................................................................
    you never heard of Black Label Society??:eek:

4. fretbuzzard

fretbuzzard Former Member

So rock 'n' roll is no longer mainstream. Pity the mainstream and keep on rockin' and rollin'!

5. basher

basher Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Letterman has had the likes of the Black Keys and the Hives on his show as well. I defy anyone to declare rock dead after watch the Hives play "Hate to Say I Told You So."

6. Durtdog

Durtdog Poster Extraordinaire

Rock and Roll is dead?

Dang, and I was really starting to like it.

7. endzone

endzone Friend of Leo's

Letterman is just trying to do something different for the entertainment segement. Chill out...it's not like there's only going to be tribute bands on there forever. Overall, he gets some pretty good talent on there, with a good mix. Of course, I could do without the rap and hip-hop, but....

I've seen all the tribute bands on there this week and so far, the only one that was decent was the Prince band. That G n R band was horrible. I was embarrased for them.

8. Canuckcaster

Canuckcaster Poster Extraordinaire

Hey Tarnish, Sorry if I offended you. If you were able to learn guitar without playing anyone else's riffs or licks then I am impressed. Good for you.

9. Tim Armstrong

Tim Armstrong Super Moderator Ad Free Member

Letterman is about being FUNNY, in a smart-alec way, and I'm thinking they're featuring all these tribute bands BECAUSE it's ridiculous!

As for rock'n'roll being dead, well, as a mainstream popular music it might smell kinda funny, but in the bars we play folks still get up and dance to it!

Tim

10. TelZilla

TelZilla Friend of Leo's

...same as it ever was...

11. manfesto

manfesto Tele-Meister

A girl from a local punk/experimental band I think phrased it best (though for all I know she quoted it from somewhere else).

"Punk isn't dead. It just married into a middle class family and is crashing on the couch."

All that said, maybe it's because I selectively watch episodes of late night television when I hear that a band will be on, but in recent years I've seen The Hold Steady (far and away one of the best Springsteen-esque rock acts out there today), Billy Bragg, Bloc Party, Bad Religion, The Black Keys, Explosions in the Sky, and a lot of other quite awesome acts on late night. Don't let a few bad acts put you off - these late night shows have done quite a good job exposing small but awesome rock acts to the masses and showcasing their fair share of awesome bands.

//I am jealous of the UK, though, in that they have the show "Later: With Jools Holland" - from what I can surmise of its YouTube clips, it's a showcase for awesome bands of all sorts

And of course, Rock will never die so long as there are kids out there picking up records (big or obscure), thinking "this is amazing, I want to do this", and buying guitars and starting bands. You don't have to be a big band to rock your fans!

The only thing that ever changes is which generation of rockers is being nostalgic for which era they consider to be "true" rock :)

12. Eric Karonen

Eric Karonen RIP

It sure as hell ain't in my house!!

13. Tarnisher

Tarnisher Friend of Leo's

Nope. Should I have done? I went home and googled them and found out they're Ozzy Osbourne's ex-guitarist's band. I like some older Ozzy, and I had fun at the show, but it's just not my scene. I will say this, though- the guy nailed the guitar tone.

Canuckaster, no offence taken. I just like answering rhetorical questions in the negative. :twisted:

I still can't really play like anyone else. I used to feel bad about it, like I just didn't have the chops, but I finally came to accept that playing my way works for me. Writing original music and performing other people's compositions are two different skills, and I certainly respect those who do either well. I'm just a little more interested in those who create.

14. OaklandA

OaklandA Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

:lol:

You have no idea how many times I'm going to use this over the next week or so.

15. beach bob

beach bob Friend of Leo's

I too saw that Letterman tease and thought, WTF???

But anytime I'm worried about the supposedly rotting corpse of rock and roll, I'll crank up some
    • Drive By Truckers
    • Los Lobos
    • Glossary
    • Will Hoge
    • Reckless Kelly
    • My Morning Jacket
    • The Hold Steady
    • Daddy
    and all seems right with the world again ;)

16. rextasy

rextasy Tele-Afflicted

Someone still watches Letterman? And expects to see interesting musical acts?!!

17. Mike Bruce

Mike Bruce Friend of Leo's

I've been digging Joscho Stephan, Bela Fleck, Don Ross...oh yeah, that's not rock. Led Zeppelin, Roy Buchanan, Rory Gallagher, Danny Gatton.

"Rock is dead they say...long live rock" or whatever else floats your boat. I won't mourn its passing, just its stinking corpse.

Mike Bruce

18. born2tele

born2tele TDPRI Member

19. FirstBassman

FirstBassman Friend of Leo's

You missed the point. It was supposed to be bad. That's Dave's sense of humor.
    As others have said, there was also a ventriloquist week. And a couple of others that I can't remember.

Giant doorknob. Late Show sponges. Throwing produce and TVs off the top of a building, etc.

That's Dave's sense of humor.

20. furrfurrfurr

furrfurrfurr Friend of Leo's

+1

I actually thought it's been kinda fun. The only real great performance so far has been Purple Reign.

Mr Brownstone was positively awful.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.