It's not that we're old; today's music really does suck.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by 3-Chord-Genius, Feb 7, 2019.

1. TheMindful

TheMindful Tele-Meister

I mean I get that. Wayne Krantz has made similar statements about not really listening to music besides making it, and I've been there myself on numerous stretches. But this last year or so has been chock full of new influence-sources than I've experienced in a good long while and I'm really enjoying that. I've cherry picked from various artists my entire life but I don't feel that doing so has caused me to ever sound like an imitator.

Les H likes this.
  2. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Justin Beiber is music the youth absorbed and wanted more of. Was Beiber a talent in the right place at the right time, or something designed by formula? In some ways you have to have a little of both to make ‘hits’. What you think talent or music is or isn’t is irrelevant. If you’re upset over this, I hear you, but it doesn’t matter. Beiber won over a newer generation, became a joke, might pass to obscurity, and it still doesn’t matter. Who’s next? The internet isn’t the problem, it’s more about an industry making money. This commodification started a long time ago, yet people are still surprised.

Bottom line is one can’t go back to the 60s or 70s models (as if they were perfect!). One can’t get rid of the ‘internets’. All music, all media will increasingly be accessible. The upshot to accessibility is that since all good music will never die, and there will always be music heads and true musicians, one can always find something that sits well with the ears. It’s not perfect, the current system. Oh, and one might feel their chosen ‘best’ should rise to the ‘top’ of this food chain. This is not how it ever worked. We’d never agree what’s ‘best’ is obstacle one.

teleman1 likes this.
  3. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I dig this

ring mod, Krantz might give it a listen, after all, "it's no fun not to like pop"

I'm a classic country guy, but these two videos sure do capture the sound of what life is like now

ymmv

TheMindful likes this.
  4. TheMindful

TheMindful Tele-Meister

That Krantz Carlock Lefevbre album is currently in my car. Great album, unbelievable musicians. Evidence of someone sustaining a successful, established music career well outside of the mainstream, and also pushing the artform of guitar/rock trios/music/improvisation.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2019
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.