It's not that we're old; today's music really does suck.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by 3-Chord-Genius, Feb 7, 2019.

1. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

2. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

Well, you're still old...

Anyway, depends just what "music of the previous generation" (which generation?) you're talkin about...
    From that link...
    "A golden age of popular music lasted from the 1960s to the 1990s, academics claimed."
    So, this would include 80s hair band stuff, and the whole grunge period.. But disclude the age of rock n' roll.

There's some great contemporary music out there. And a lot of real crappy stuff.
    "The same as it ever was"

Last edited: Feb 7, 2019
  3. FenderLover

FenderLover Friend of Leo's

...but not wrong.

Shuster likes this.
  4. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire

I saw that article and thought the same thing

but look, it's kinda common sense because the whole hip hop universe was about reciting stuff, not memorable melodies

it's kind of sad, to think an entire generation has so few melodies it can call its own

what will they sing when they're old?

5. geobookman

geobookman TDPRI Member

There is a lot of bad music from previous times too. So much garbage from the 60s and 70s that didn’t stand the test of time.

I think it is mostly that radio music and popularly consumed music kind of sucks right now. There are a lot of lesser known bands circulating that make great music currently. The Avett Brothers, Shakey Graves, Turnpiek Troubadours, Neko Case, Gillian Welch, Ryan Bingham, and so on. There are weird primitive guitarists like Daniel Bachman and Marisa Anderson that seem even more interesting than John Fahey. Right now mass media culture doesn’t love rock and roll like it did in the 60s and 70s, but good music is still made.

6. blowtorch

...but not right. :)

7. FenderLover

I was speaking of the 'popular' stuff...

8. blowtorch

Like this? #7 in July '67

9. Boblets

Boblets Friend of Leo's

Yummy yummy yummy, I have love in my tummy.

Nickadermis, joealso, Flakey and 5 others like this.
  10. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I’m actually just glad I got old.
    I’m not glad about being old, but I’m glad I made it.
    I have a gig in 45 minutes, too.:)
    Lifes good, and now that I am old, the only music in my life is the music I make.
    That was the idea, for me, all along.
    Young people almost always like music created by, and for other other young people.
    I seriously doubt that will ever change.
    It makes perfect sense.
    I’ll never rail against the way things are now, I accept it.
    Love your music!

TigerG, Nickadermis, rand z and 16 others like this.
  11. FenderLover

nope.

12. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

There's always been good old music, and dross. And good new music and dross.

The hitmaking machine was around in the 50s just as much as now. For every Elvis there was 100 Elwoods.

Yes, to make in MSM would be hard for Dylan or the Sex Pistols - or maybe not.

13. FenderLover

Todays popular stuff is hipity hopity, rapity, new country that didn't exist 'in the day'. Not the same as it ever was.

14. bsman

bsman Tele-Afflicted

There has always been a lot of terrible, crappy pop music. I think the difference was that from the 50s through the 90s there was also a lot of music that was truly superlative. I think that epic, amazing music that will pass the test of time is much rarer these days...

15. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

yup, i am so buried in my own music that i don't really pay attention much..we all have the same notes to work with..work em and enjoy...with x amt of time on planet earth left..sure am going to create music .. i do respect all original music..not my call to judge..we all like what we like

teletimetx and brookdalebill like this.
  16. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

Interesting article. It makes sense that their study focused on hits, and I think it is quite possible that most of today's hits won't stand the test of time as well
    as hits from that earlier era. But it's also true that there are tons of horrible hits, from all eras, that definitely do not stand up to time. Especially novelty
    hits like "The Streak" or "Kung Fu Fighting".

Music has become much more democratized with so much more available to anyone who can click a mouse. One would think that anything that manages to stand
    out enough to become a hit must be really good, but I guess not. As in all eras it's still true that some of the very best music never becomes a hit.

I listen to Pandora. You pick an artist or song and then it feeds you songs that are somewhat similar. I really like Sir Sly so I made a Sir Sly channel. Just about
    everything I listen to on that channel is really good, in my opinion, and much of it is very recognizable to me as hits that I hear on our local alternative rock station.
    So I do think there's hope out there.

Hip hop has become like bee bop, in my opinion. It has evolved very rapidly, and only the true aficionado who has followed its evolution can really appreciate where it
    has ended up. Hence, lots of folks prefer "old school" hip hop and rap over the very specialized stuff that is considered hot right now. Progressive rock for the most
    part did the same thing-- most of it evolved into what became an evolutionary dead end. A lot of metal did the same thing. Luckily, someone always comes along and
    finds the best bits from any dying genre and revitalizes it into something new that can be appreciated by more than a niche audience.

Harry Styron likes this.
  17. Peregrino69

Peregrino69 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

@geobookman, you're definitely right. I'd say that 90% of any music ever produced hasn't stood the test of time.

There are also likely to be many more people producing music than ever before. Autotune and quantization ensure that neither the singer nor the players need to be anything more than mediocre, there are multiple options for digital self-publishing. That creates an information overload... nobody has the means to follow up everything anymore.

To get noticed you need to use all kinds of gimmicks; just take Lady Gaga as an example. She's a damn good singer and a very talented pianist who won a jazz competition at her mid-teens. She became a phenomenon only after the meat dress and similar stuff. Now she's pretty much a household name, and while she still uses sexy outfits and keeps changing them mid-concert (which female pop singer doesn't...) the outrageous is no longer needed.

Unfortunately that also means that ever smaller percentage of the best new music will never get out there to the masses. Which means the musician needs to have a full time job to support themsel(f?ves?), which obviously means less time to create music... which again means less possibility to get noticed.

Wildcard_35 and Ex-riverman like this.
  18. Peregrino69

Peregrino69 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I'd say that in all its horrible hilariousness has stood the test... it's been regularly re-recorded since its unfortunate inception :D

Wildcard_35, 68tele and SheldonP like this.
  19. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

The 70's were a great time for popular music!!!

20. FenderLover

Good music today isn't popular, that's the problem. I can't watch an awards show now. I don't know who any of those people are because I can't listen to any of it.

R. Stratenstein and Macrogats like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.