It's not just Florida men.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by imwjl, Jul 16, 2019.

1. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

A friend described this as needing more chlorine in the gene pool.

https://www.duluthnewstribune.com/n...d-trip-to-Isle-Royale-on-personal-watercraft?

You just don't mess with Lake Superior. I've seen it and Lake Michigan nasty like an angry ocean. It's colder than most cold ocean swimming places I've been. Except for a few places much of the UP and N. MN are more sparse than many realize.

That guy was lucky the great lakes have a lot of ship traffic. Even the Isle Royal ferry is a nothing to mess with 100 ft boat with multiple marine engines. I've crossed Michigan on the Badger and have been surprised by how much mother nature getting testy influences a 400+ ft ship designed to carry rail cars.

william tele and jannodude like this.
  2. Wrong-Note Rod

Wrong-Note Rod Poster Extraordinaire

theres an old Gordon Lightfoot song about some poor ship that breaks up on Lake Superior. I havent seen the lake but I know many people who have, and they say it might as well be a sea, its so big, and the weather around it is terrible and volatile.

Even so, I well imagine some moron in Florida tried to jetski to someplace and got in trouble.

Torren61 likes this.
  3. unixfish

unixfish Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

That is frightening - out on a LARGE lake in the fog with a personal watercraft. This had disaster written all over it from the get go.

Torren61 and jannodude like this.
  4. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

That's not a Florida story. A Florida man would have tried to "ski" riding the backs of alligators on Lake Okeechobee, holding a beer in one hand and some meth in the other while his friends cheered him on!

5. dkmw

dkmw Poster Extraordinaire

brookdalebill and Torren61 like this.
  6. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

brookdalebill, LeicaBoss and dkmw like this.
  7. aerhed

aerhed Friend of Leo's

8. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

I can easily see how this could happen. He had it easy with a cell phone.

Don't ask.:oops:

Boomhauer and Torren61 like this.
  9. intensely calm

intensely calm Tele-Meister

So, nobody in Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan, Virginia, or Canada will take his calls?

Lucky he had a cell phone, with some battery charge, and to have reached - anyone.
    Also, very lucky to have been found at that time of day, he could have been out there til morning...

"Moderately chilly", the meaning varies depending on where you live, and he didn't live there.

So, what will he do next?
    Skydive naked from an areoplane... kickstart my heart... (sorry, that just popped into my head)

10. imwjl

As much as "Here, hold my beer." is popular, drinking is so much a part of culture in these parts you probably had most of those WI, MN and UP folks with a beer in one hand and I hate to think about what might be in the other.

Boomhauer likes this.
  11. ClashCityTele

ClashCityTele Tele-Afflicted

This one?

Torren61 likes this.
  12. intensely calm

intensely calm Tele-Meister

Ah the UP! (Upper Peninsula for those who are wondering).

Soooo true. I lived in Milwaukee for a decade, and drinking was part of - most outings, and living rooms, and basements, and garages...
    A different Festival every weekend all summer long, and in the winters there were leagues, bowling, darts, drinking....
    The summers were hot, so you needed to cool down, then there was football, and baseball, and basketball - beer here!
    Oh, the drag strip, gotta have a beer to get the asphalt and rubber outta your lungs and eyes.
    And I was the responsible one in the crowd.

When I moved to FL, one day I stopped at a restaurant and had a beer with my lunch. The waiter said "you're not from around here are you... from up north?"
    He actually guessed Wisconsin. He had lived there for some time and knew the drill. Of course, people all around the world have the occasional lunch with their beer(s).

And NO, I don't sound like I'm from Fargo.
    Typically people say I have NO accent, therefore I don't exist - I'm a Secret Agent Man (who does not jetski).

Boomhauer and Torren61 like this.
  13. Torren61

Torren61 Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

"Service was scant, but the man was able to use a cellphone to call his friend in Florida."

intensely calm likes this.
  14. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

It's not salt water, and it probably fits the definition of "lake"...but it's a monster. "Inland Sea" is closer to the truth. I was a grown man when I first saw Superior the first time. We drove the North Shore, then back down around the south end. Visiting museums and watching the waves crashing at Copper Harbor gave me such massive respect and awe of this lake.

A jet ski out of sight of the shore on Lake Superior? Idiot...

15. dkmw

dkmw Poster Extraordinaire

We have a saying in my little circle of watermen, ''the ocean does not care''.

That could be extended to the Great Lakes, I guess.

william tele likes this.
  16. ClashCityTele

ClashCityTele Tele-Afflicted

He obviously thought 'How would Florida Man get out of this pickle?'.

imwjl and dkmw like this.
  17. MrCairo46

MrCairo46 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I heard that Gordon wrote and recorded the song because he had a dream about the ship sinking. Later on it had limited success so the Canadian Government ordered a Canadian Sub to sink her to boost the influence of Canadian songwriters and musicians.

18. Boomhauer

Boomhauer Friend of Leo's

Ah, the ol' Michipicoten. Good to see a familiar name! She's one of the smaller ore boats, if memory serves (that said, I'm talking 700ft vs 1,000ft). Glad nobody was hurt, and I'm glad this had a relatively happy ending.

imwjl likes this.
  19. Slowpoke

Slowpoke Tele-Afflicted

I just love the song and I think Gordon Lightfoot is a brilliant song writer. I have an MP3 of the song Wreck Of The Edmund Fitzgerald and play it when I'm home alone and can turn up the volume.. S

20. imwjl

Yes, if you're in Duluth or Superior you have a good chance of seeing that "boat" is a ship.

I know Lake Michigan and Superior the best and except for the lack of ocean creatures they get seriously nasty and dangerous. It can be very deceiving. If you're in a sheltered bay or shallow place without onshore wind you have a very different picture than times there are rip currents or big winds blowing long distances.

When the story mentioned the fog horn I had to think what if it were the James R Barker. If you're in Duluth or east side of Michigan where you can see and hear the "boats" its horn stands out from the rest. The Michipicoten was one of the last of the steamers still working but it got a diesel engine in recent years.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.