1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

It's happened...its time for a telecaster

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Cloudayo, Mar 19, 2013.

1. Cloudayo

Cloudayo TDPRI Member

I've been a MIA Stratocaster kind of guy for quite some time, I have a nice blonde finish strat that I've had for a few years now. Unfortunately I was bit by the telecaster bug and its time...and I'm asking for the telecaster communities help.

I have say up to $2500 (I would prefer not to spend all of it as I need a new loop pedal and would most likely do a bit of custom work on the tele once I've received it) so anything from 1500-2000 would be absolutely perfect.

Looking for a maple necked blonde telecaster similar to this
    *Note that I really am not a fan of the butterscotch blonde (prefer more of a whiteish blonde perfect blend being the picture below), or black pickguards (although pickguards are relatively easy to replace).
    : [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 19, 2013
  2. xMercury69x

xMercury69x Friend of Leo's

3. Cloudayo

Cloudayo TDPRI Member

I've done a bit of research on the GE Smith series, they look a bit more new age then I would want, still a pretty good option if nothing else comes up.

4. TwangBilly

TwangBilly Tele-Afflicted

Yup. Love mine! I've had it over four years and couldn't be happier. It is very similar to a Nocaster in many ways. Vintage pups, big neck (custom radius used on this model only), vintage hardware etc. You might also look at the
    '52 AVRI or '52 Hot Rod. Also both great guitars around your price range, especially if you look at used ones. There are some very nice used examples our there. Here's a YouTube link to a video of G.E. Smith talking about his signature model, he gives some info Fender doesn't give on it. Happy hunting! Let us know what you get.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnQYoRYedF0&feature=youtube_gdata_player

5. rebelwoclue

rebelwoclue Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

-'52 Hot Rod
    -American Deluxe Ash
    -The Classic 50's Tele- is very close to what you have pictured.
    Being that you are a strat player, you probably would want the modern "C" shape- The American Deluxe Ash would have a nice rolled neck- give it a try.(The GE tele has a baseball bat neck-fyi)
    And happy hunting!

6. Cloudayo

Cloudayo TDPRI Member

Ah yes I should have specified that I'm quite partial to the C shape necks, I also don't mind D. The thinner and rounder the better though.

7. Cloudayo

Cloudayo TDPRI Member

Anybody ever dealt with the american vint 58s?

*sorry for the double post

8. Zillinois

Zillinois Friend of Leo's

It really depends on what kind of specs you like - vintage or modern. I'd suggest the "American Deluxe" Telecaster, as being a sort-of-former MIA strat player, I prefer modern specs, and this model has a lot of great options, as does the "American Standard" series.

9. therecordfable

therecordfable Banned

8502 American Ash if you can find one '03 preferably.:D
    You'd be quite pleased and have some cake left over to play with.
    Good luck with your search.

10. Peas

Peas Tele-Meister

You might like the Classic Series 50s.

White Blonde with C shaped neck. And it even already has the white pick guard. Retail for $799.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Cloudayo

Cloudayo TDPRI Member

Last edited: Mar 19, 2013
  12. xtrajerry

xtrajerry Doctor of Teleocity

Ive played it.. nice guitar.. thinnest neck of the new American Vintage Teles.. Couple guys posted about strings slipping of the board because the edges were rolled others had no problems.. guess it's more to do with playing style than anything else..

13. rebelwoclue

rebelwoclue Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Still a bit chunkier than a strat C and it has the 7 1/2 radius neck- but a very nice guitar! I am sure your hands will easily get used to it.

14. Iknowimcrazy

Iknowimcrazy TDPRI Member

Very nice choice indeed!

15. BartS

BartS Friend of Leo's

For that kind of money you can get one built and finsihed for you buy a custom builder anyway you want or get yourself a nice custom shop.

16. Cloudayo

Cloudayo TDPRI Member

Aye, I know if I go full price I can get a really high end custom shop but I'd prefer to have some money left over, currently surfing for used '52 reissues hoping to get one for maybe 1600. I'll post NGD pics when/if I get it.

17. LKB3rd

LKB3rd Friend of Leo's

I don't think spending that much is necessary. I would-and did- go for the "50's Classic". Use some of the extra cash to get a set of pickups to suit your taste. It comes in a "White Blonde" like you like. I have a '71 Tele, an American Deluxe, a Highway One, and a "50's Classic" Esquire, and the '71 and 50's Classic are my favorites.
    To me, an expensive Tele seems like an insult to Leo Fender who wanted them to be reasonably priced as a design feature.

18. xtrajerry

xtrajerry Doctor of Teleocity

If you look around brand new in box AV's for a little more than $1600, not going to be a lot of them available on the used market.. Would be better off looking for a used Nocaster.. Private seller should be able to swing it under 2K.

Back to the AV's.. Have you seen the blond 58? It has the C neck you're looking for. Nothing wrong with the 52 but neck is on the hefty side..

19. Cloudayo

Cloudayo TDPRI Member

Back when I use to play a lot more metal I was quite partial to Schecters, I'm pretty comfortable with the bigger more baseball battey necks.

20. Starrman44

Starrman44 Tele-Afflicted

You could always get a Honey Blonde Nocaster. I picked one up in January. You could probably get one for close to $2000 give or take a hundred or two.

BTW, nocasters necks come in various sizes. I've even seen some advertised as a chunky C. Here is an example of one below. Obviously this one is out of range price-wise, but sometimes they'll show up here and there.

http://wildwoodguitars.com/products/r10822.php

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.