It's got to be a scam, I just can't figure out the who, what, and where of it.

jackinjax

Friend of Leo's
Three or four months ago we got an Elle magazine in the mail for a Tess Reichart at our address. Never heard of her and we've lived in this house for over 30 years. A day or so later we received a Town and Country magazine followed by a Southern Living and finally a Cosmopolitan.
It bugged me so I Googled the name thinking it would turn up her correct address. Closest I came was a lady somewhere in Louisiana. I called the magazine distributor to let them know they had the wrong address for Ms Reichart. They were.... uh, accommodating?
We live in a small subdivision and we know every family at least by name. It's not like our address isn't unique, like you could easily mistakenly write our address instead of your own. So, why?
A day or so ago on a local neighborhood forum a lady posted a picture of a piece of mail (A medical bill) with her exact address but someone else's name. She'd never heard of the person and I googled the name; again, no hits.
It's got to be some sort of new scam. Anyone?

Toadtele

Friend of Leo's
I’ve received two different promotional “Congratulations on your new home” mailings recently. Someone else’s name.
We’ve been here over 20 years.

String Tree

Doctor of Teleocity
Three or four months ago we got an Elle magazine in the mail for a Tess Reichart at our address. Never heard of her and we've lived in this house for over 30 years. A day or so later we received a Town and Country magazine followed by a Southern Living and finally a Cosmopolitan.
It bugged me so I Googled the name thinking it would turn up her correct address. Closest I came was a lady somewhere in Louisiana. I called the magazine distributor to let them know they had the wrong address for Ms Reichart. They were.... uh, accommodating?
We live in a small subdivision and we know every family at least by name. It's not like our address isn't unique, like you could easily mistakenly write our address instead of your own. So, why?
A day or so ago on a local neighborhood forum a lady posted a picture of a piece of mail (A medical bill) with her exact address but someone else's name. She'd never heard of the person and I googled the name; again, no hits.
Return To Sender.

tcadam

Tele-Afflicted
We started mysteriously receiving People magazine for about 6-8 months or so earlier this year. It was addressed to my wife, but she never subscribed. One of our daughters works in the magazine industry so we figured it was related to that somehow although she didn't know anything about it.

ChicknPickn

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
Probably nothing. Probably. But these days, having been the victim of identity theft once, I can tell you it's a great idea to have your credit reports at all three reporting agencies frozen. Not locked, which can cost money, but frozen, which is free. Then review your credit history. Last year, I found that someone had succeeded in opening a $50k Helzberg Diamond charge account in my name. I beat ID theft by having a paper shredder, a locking mailbox, and frozen credit reports. Life was unpleasant until those things were in effect.

RetiredUnit1

Tele-Holic
I started getting the L.A. Times, and they billed my card. I'm allergic to newsprint so I called them to cancel and asked why they billed me without permission. "Your wife called us and subscribed". I asked how is that possible since she died nine months ago. SOBs hung up on me!

I called my card and told them and they said "Oh geeze, they're the worst. Normally we wait until the dispute is finished but in this case we'll give you credit now"

So, some place, some one named Tess is being billed for your Elle and the fraudsters are hoping she doesn't notice.

boredguy6060

Poster Extraordinaire
I have of late gotten several emails saying my "order" was out for delivery. I haven't ordered anything, it must be for someone else! ;)
I get those type of emails everyday. There are three places I deal with online, anyone who is not one of them gets immediately deleted.

BryMelvin

Friend of Leo's
When my husband passed and I filed the final tax return, the IRS notified me that someone had already filed a return in NYC in his name. Turns out that someone at either the funeral home or insurance company or social security, helped an "undocumented" person to his social security number and name.

There are scammers everywhere. maybe even in government offices.

telleutelleme

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Use to be when air mile lapsed, they would give you magazine subscriptions. Took a long time to get rid of all the People, Home and Gardens, Nigerian Ancestry etc. etc. I pointed out to my wife none of the ones offered were never guitar magazines, car magazines or stuff I wanted.

alpinewhite

Tele-Meister
Same thing happened to us. Strange names on various types of magazines like you received. We called the company to tell them they got the wrong address for a lot of people. They laughed and said they send them out randomly, hoping someone would like them and subscribe. I guess it only costs them shipping, since they'd have to trash them when the next issue comes out. We got some travel magazine yesterday. They usually get a quick glance then end up in the recycle bin.

nojazzhere

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
I frequently get mail addressed to my ex-wife......the thing is, she's never lived here. I've owned the house for 28 years, but we've been divorced for over forty years.....so she NEVER lived here. In fact, even our daughter has no idea where she is, having lost touch with her several years ago. Maybe someone is sending stuff to everyone with our last name, trying to track her down. (?)

Greggorios

Poster Extraordinaire
The magazine subscription service business has been pretty sleazy for awhile. I always try to deal directly with the magazine rather than all of the middle men. Really all of the new "subscription" models of business are pretty suspect. I know there are certain items/products where it makes complete sense but what it comes down to is just a way to guarantee "repeat business". I guess you can't blame them for trying.