Its crazy to me what boutique companies will charge...

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by caspersvapors, Jul 21, 2019.

1. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

2. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Even if that were the best amp I had ever played through, I would not buy it. I do not care for their marketing approach and find the approach to be offensive.

puddin likes this.
  3. Nickfl

Nickfl Tele-Afflicted

It's ugly and crass in a less than clever way (mildly funny, but not clever), but it's actually something orginal, which is more than you can say for most boutique stuff. The use of remote cutoff preamp pentodes in particular is intriguing.

4. Wally

Ugly, crass...yes. Funny....mot in anyway to me. Thoughtless 13 year olds might laugh. Oh well......the way of the world...

stevemc likes this.
  5. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

And your target clientele can be fickle. And potential consumers can be distracted by all sorts of things that aren't just limited to something like changes in trends.

6. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

All their products are like that, and that's not even as bad as what that guy posts on forums. I think he seriously has a couple of screws loose.

Wally likes this.
  7. swampyankee

swampyankee Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

It's beyond boutique, it's a handcrafted art piece. For those that care...

ElJay370 likes this.
  8. ElJay370

ElJay370 Tele-Meister

I played through a Black Volt at NAMM last year. They look super cool, and sound just as good as you'd expect. It probably would've sounded even better if I had been allowed to really crank it.

The circuit might not be anything special, but each amp is hand built and unique. It's not a washing machine, it's a musical instrument. It's art.

Anyone who takes the time and effort to create things that are well made and aesthetically pleasing deserves to be rewarded for it.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2019
    telemnemonics likes this.
  9. strat a various

strat a various Friend of Leo's

I have a friend who builds boutique amps. They are great sounding amps. He doesn't really need the money, but he charges what he thinks the amps will sell for, why not? It's not that complicated ... if not enough amps sell, lower the price ... if you sell out, raise the price. For a lot of these guys, there's a waiting list. They could raise the price even more. That they don't is a testament to their love of music and musicians.

10. L.A. Mike

L.A. Mike Tele-Holic

Last edited: Jul 26, 2019
    Flaneur likes this.
  11. Flaneur

Flaneur Friend of Leo's

Not the kind of specs- or price- that suit me but an interesting and attractive amp. I imagine products like this can help and direct home builders, who are electronically adept but looking for some aesthetic inspiration. Black Tolex and silver grill cloth aren't for everyone.

puddin likes this.
  12. Dukex

Dukex Tele-Holic

That amp is not for me, but...
    I buy what I want, when I want, at the price I want, and I don't consider others' opinions or feelings.

Correction: the exception is my wife. :D

13. L.A. Mike

L.A. Mike Tele-Holic

Looks like the consumer is paying a premium for appearance.
    Lots of people do that.
    They want a certain "look".
    A leather jacket with fringe would go good with that amp

[​IMG]

Chunkocaster likes this.
  14. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

Those amp prices seem reasonable when you see the listings of near $1000 buck overdrive pedals.

The modelling amps that go for three to four thousand are much the same considering they are probably put together for around $100 bucks worth of parts if that and will be obsolete in a few years.

telemnemonics and Wally like this.
  15. Piggy Stu

Piggy Stu Friend of Leo's

Nothing crazy in charging millions for a little work

crazy is in paying it

I will build you an amp if you pay me millions

Chunkocaster likes this.
  16. Wally

Build a 5E3 from a kit...or even from a parts list and schematic. No matter who builds it, that amp is not worth what it takes to build something like a Dumble clone...To build it properly with excellent Sonic results. A young friend of mine ordered a Dumble clone from Bludotone a bit over two years ago. Yes, there was time spent at several different points in those two years as to what and how the user played, what he was expecting, etc. His Bludotone ODS type amp got to him a couple of months ago. Sonics???? In the little time I got to play through it, I was very impressed. I would like to have it for...well...longer than I can afford, right? I really wanted to see inside it, and he did too.
    So, he let me pull the chassis. Magnificent build quality. Cost..$5K. Compared to what some people pay for some amps, I consider that $5K to be a bargain. I have played through brand new Mass produced amps that I would not buy at any price...much less the $2K+ that was paid for them new. I would gladly give that $5K for an amp of the quality and performance of that Bludotone.....IF I were of a younger age, needed such an amp, and had the wherewithal financially....it would be a bargain, imho. A Tone King Imperial MKII? Bargain....probably I would feel the same about any design by Mark Bartel.
    Would I play through a cheap amp while spending big money on a guitar? No! A mediocre guitar with a good neck and set-up played through a great amp is worlds better than playing a high dollar guitar through a mediocre amp...imho and ime.

17. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

So true. And to add to the shop overhead are the phone calls and walk-ins from amp "assemblers" who lack any electronics knowledge, test tools, and little or no soldering experience - they buy kit amps (and many sellers state "electronics experience required" or something to that effect), "glue" it together with solder following the plastic model kit-style instructions or layout....and it either sounds like *&$# or doesn't work at all.

15-30 minute non-paid phone calls; walk ins who want "help" or "advice", and most techs are polite and spend 30 minutes or so (IF it'll solve the problem) - and the walk in says "thanks dude" and walks out or hands him a tenner.

This is increasingly common. THEN add the emails and Private messages (which trigger emails) - which is why many techs refuse to participate in forums like this. I no longer have a shop and only work for long-time friends, but get 6-12 THREADS a week that end up with multiple messages. And even during the 9th message covering the same situation I'm just not able to be rude and say "dude, If I still had a shop do you have ANY idea what you'd be costing me in time - i.e. work I'm NOT doing while helping you for free?

And then some get chided for being abrupt at times on forums, where some also pay to support them. Or are chastised by members for correcting blatant technical or safety errors by just posting the facts without "softening" posts that aren't opinions - they are factual.

And the professionals are donating hours a week that could be used doing paid work. So SINCERE thanks for those who post thank-yous to guys like Wally, Rob and others with full or part-time businesses, and the retired techs who spend time helping folks instead of playing golf, or shuffleboard, or senior mud wrestling....:lol:

I'm actually not so sure that's going to happen with the Kemper, Fractal and Atomic technologies, which make the old Line 6 PodXt and such look like SpaceX vs Wright Brothers. And 2 years ago I would have absolutely agreed with you. But I bought an Atomic unit and it'll take me a year to really fine tune all the capabilities.

What I DO think will take a dive are the current range of FRFR powered speakers. Those still have miles to go.

18. Chester Burnett

Chester Burnett Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Couple of things. Factor in that you’re paying a premium for the cab/artwork. I don’t care for it but let’s say you did. Assume the buyer isn’t handy and couldn’t build it themselves. Further assume that they have no building skill and had never picked up a soldering iron in their life. At that point I think a hand wired amp closing in on 3k makes some sense. I probably wouldn’t plunk down that much but I don’t think I’m the target audience and it sounds like the op isn’t either. Certainly anyone capable of building an amp isn’t the target either.

Plenty of people don’t. Plenty of people are fine with a basic cabinet and grill cloth but plenty of people appreciate a nice ascetic and are willing to pay for it. I’m not going to insult them for their values that may differ than mine either.

19. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Tele-Afflicted

These are different though. They aren't made from $500 worth of quality parts, easily assembled in a standard interchangeable manner. These are made from recycled, reclaimed parts. You can probably double the labor time to put one of these together, maybe more. They are pretty attractive and interesting, but out of my price range. Plus, I'd never gig it - it looks more like furniture you'd take care of. More power to those who can decorate with gear though!

20. Wally

Feisty, I don’t care for the way those black volt cabs are done. Check the angled ‘butt’ joints with the splines at the corners? Maybe inside the cab there is some support for those joints, but I would have to look long and hard at that aspect. I also don’t know how much I like blankets for grille cloth....or maybe that cloth is not as heavy as it appears to be. At any rate...not on my radar for many reasons...most of them personal. I don’t need one is the main reason.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.