1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

It's coming.............The Curse of Oak Island season 8!!

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Dismalhead, Nov 6, 2020.

1. Titletone

Titletone Tele-Meister

Can't believe this show is still going. I watched a couple of seasons and quit when it became apparent that they could have a single one hour show instead of a full season with the 5 minutes of new material each week. I think the kicker for me was when they invited an elderly lady to the island and she gave them an object (can't recall what it was). When asked where it came from, she told them that it came out of one of the three chests that someone dug out of the pit. Right there- they were told that the treasure was found long ago, but they still go on as if it was never found. Apparently, it was only buried a few feet deep. Insane.

telestratosonic likes this.
  2. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Telefied Silver Supporter

I watch it. Spoiler Alert. There's going to be another hole. Gary Drayton will find another Butt -on.

telestratosonic and Dismalhead like this.
  3. memorex

memorex Friend of Leo's

More buttons, spikes, coins, no treasure. I wonder if Gary Drayton does the beachcomber thing during the off-season. At least then, he might find a wristwatch or two.

4. Oldsmobum

Oldsmobum Tele-Holic

Crew member 1: “looks like we found something!”

metal detector guy: “it looks like it could be... a nail”

narrator: “A NAIL?!?!!”

I just spoiled the entire series for you.

Uncle Bob, telestratosonic and wacolo like this.
  5. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

I admit I watch it.
    With all those holes they should have just dug a quarry and be done with it. Looking at the ocean pier thing is a waste of time.

Dismalhead likes this.
  6. 68tele

68tele Friend of Leo's

I tried watching a few years ago. Hate the formula: 1 minute of content...20 mins of commercials...repeat. Utter crap.

Is their target audience the highly medicated bedridden?

7. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

I think you got the highly medicated part right. :D

8. dickey

dickey Friend of Leo's

Booooooooooooring!

9. hollowman

hollowman Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

the longest dry hump ever...

however as an amateur historian who should have been an archaeologist, (perhaps in another life) I am hopelessly addicted. I'll be watching.

my and my geek friends who watch it created a drinking game. "could it be?" oh crap, another shot! that lasted one night, lol

10. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Telefied Silver Supporter

Supposedly they are going to change North American History. Personally I think it will more likely be a Guinness Record for putting the most North Americans asleep in an hour. But like many I'm hooked. I just wish they would call in Tony Beets to supervise the digging. Make it Happening!

11. Greggorios

Greggorios Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

The few times I watched was a couple seasons into the search and all I could think about was why don't they go find another mystery to explore. This is overkill.

Only reality TV I ever thought was worth a watch or 2 was the chubby guys in the pawn shop in Las Vegas. They were entertaining.

12. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

This reminded me of a girl I dated, off and on, for almost three years.

Couple/half dozen dates, no misbehaving. I'm off to someone else for six months, ends. Call this girl again, same pattern. Off to someone still different, 8 months, ends. Call this girl again, same pattern. Etc.

She always feigned a lot of hormonal urges, and professed to have missed me terribly. But apparently, didn't miss me that much.

But she was a good dancer, and looked great on my arm I suppose. Kept every date, didn't dodge my calls. Wrote me a lot of nice letters. But at some point this is been there, done that. I think there needs to be a progression to an actual end - at some point.

Sometimes watch those Pickers, out of Iowa. Some actual, valid details discussed there.

Greggorios likes this.
  13. Sequimite

Sequimite Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

We watch it like "Mystery Science Theater" snarking and heckling all the way.

I'll bet they have a big enough audience to get a quarter million an episode. All that equipment is to spice it up for the viewers.

FrankJames, hollowman and Dismalhead like this.
  14. Phrygian77

Phrygian77 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

The first few seasons were hard to watch. The repetitiveness, even within each episode, was painful. My fiancee and I joke about the way the narrator uses exclamatory interrogatives. "The Knights Templar? On Oak Island?" He does it constantly, in every episode, no matter how significant or insignificant. "A rock? On Oak Island?" Really? Imagine that!

I think the most interesting finds so far are the structures they unearthed at Smith's Cove.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2020
  15. tap4154

tap4154 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I watched a few episodes. I like when they find natural objects underground, then draw masonic symbols or the shape of a chest on them. Kinda like looking at clouds, and seeing objects in them.

Greggorios likes this.
  16. jman72

jman72 Tele-Afflicted

I have a copy of "The Big Dig", one of the first books written about Oak Island, that I got from my school book fair in 1980. I was fascinated by the story, and have watched every episode of the show.

Alas, I too am growing weary of the wait, but they keep me hanging on with just enough tantalizing evidence (like the bone fragments and the lead cross). I think that there was probably something there at one point in time, but that it is long gone.

Interestingly, my wife LOVES the show, and even watches reruns. Go figure- I never would have thought it would be her thing, but she is more hooked than me.

Dismalhead and Phrygian77 like this.
  17. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

My GF says "Oh, look another rusty nail" every time I put it on.

Phrygian77 likes this.
  18. Henley

Henley Tele-Holic

30 million people would watch a show based merely on the possibility that something could happen.

19. Texicaster

Texicaster Friend of Leo's

Or Skinwalker Ranch!
    Or the Betz mystery sphere!

Oldsmobum likes this.
  20. johnnycnote

johnnycnote Tele-Meister

Ha! Same here. Eight years using the best tech on the planet and all they have is a couple of coins. Looking for spare change in the street would have been more profitable (less the TV money of course)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.