it's been a while and i wanted to check up on everyone

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by doctorunderhill, Jul 8, 2020.

1. doctorunderhill

doctorunderhill Tele-Meister

how is everyone doing? your health, and just as importantly your mental state. the old doctor here has plenty of experience on that end of things.
    I just wanted to see how everyone is doing with special concern for those folks with health issues-or those dealing with the health of a parent or partner- and your state.
    also I've been thinking in particular about those of you out there that have put in the dedication and hard work parlaying your love of music & guitars into a livelihood . I just know that there are folks among you who were just getting back to gigging and now facing the same catastrophe and uncertainty.
    and to anyone else who has been seriously impacted by current events just remember you can be in a room jam packed with people and still be alone.
    but your love of music and the tools we use to make it brought you here- and here, regardless of how far apart we may be geographically- you have true friends who care.
    and when you are among true friends
    you are never alone.

stay safe

2. tubegeek

tubegeek Friend of Leo's

A very kind and concerned post.
    I'd have to say I'm doing OK, all things considered.

Thanks for asking.

3. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

People here seem to be suffering from cabin fever and over indulgence in adult beverages...

I'll admit to the above ...

4. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

thank you for asking , all is fine in 24 land , how about you?

doctorunderhill likes this.
  5. Stubee

Stubee Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

I’m not a regular gigging guitar player at all but I do play regularly with friends and I’m thinking about getting that going again. My playing has been limited to strumming & noodling while we watch TV at night, but I do that every night. Guitar right here now. image.jpg

Beyond that we are generally OK and I’m more concerned about our kids and grandkids. Thanks for asking!

6. teleman1

teleman1 Tele-Afflicted

I did my once in awhile excursion to get food to pick up and take home. The place I went to I decided once I went 5 miles the other way. Why? I just wanted to take a ride.

7. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I’m OK.
    Thanks for asking.
    Most of my tribe are OK, too.
    No one is ill.
    I hope you and yours are allright.

bigbean and doctorunderhill like this.
  8. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

Tks..hope you well..feel like zombie...not person to person much since March.

Finally had a safe distance..acoustic trio practice in some
    ones backyard..that helped!! Odd talking to humans again
    not on zoom.

9. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

Thank you for the nice post.

Now several months in an "essential worker" business I've got some burnout but I think most here know I work at being optimistic. We have had sick employees, some have lost family members, but so far we have not lost a coworker. I'm in my 60s and have a project starting that gives me lots of public exposure but the company just took a stand starting next week that all customers must protect each other and our staff. The company is also very community oriented. We have a big stockpile of masks and gloves we'll be giving to customers who don't have them, and we're distributing that in needy groups and neighborhoods.

I need to figure out something for sleep and rest. We've had to do so much change and so fast but the company never shuts down so I feel like an old man version of when I was an over the road truck driver in a different era. This is month 5 of having full daytime and each week having things I have to do when most are sleeping.

Still you have to find positive. We have a lot of young and not overly sophisticated first line workers. It's been a pleasure to see many of them shine in tough times. It's been a sort of privilege or honor stepping into some tough situations with them. As a boomer I'm super proud of what I've seen in some age, race and gender categories that are often criticized. We have young leaders!

Some might recall my turn in a common theme here of our parents having problems. My mother and mother in law has recovered well from a tough year. Both will be 89. My mother is frustrated that she can't resume her hospice and other volunteer and civic work. I believe a few here know she is a retired legislator and life long civic doer and helper type. She gets mad about the generation who followed her not taking care of things the way her generation did. Not many of her peers are left but we need more grandmas and grandpas angry at all their kids who've. Important to understand this is not a get off my lawn or political anger mad. It's a bothered parent you know is right sort of mad.

Some other fun news is my 3 kids learning to drive a manual transmission.

I can report decade 6 is having some influence on my physical self. Cautious with the skateboard. Not taking some jump lines on my bike. The tough part is if I don't keep at the sports and exercise everything bad gets worse.

:)

doctorunderhill and JL_LI like this.
  10. Brad Pittiful

Brad Pittiful Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

my health is fine...my mental state has always been in question :lol:

11. telemaster03

telemaster03 Tele-Meister

Doing well, spent about two months acquiring sufficient amounts of PPE for my employer (210 employees) and caught up my work after spending most of last year away from my office. Still working but it's a challenge each day to find something to do, hence my increased presence here. Packed on about 10 extra pounds for some reason but have been working back to a better weight and frame of mind for the past few weeks. My wife's employment ceased at the end of February but she was called back on a limited basis this past Monday. I think she was ready to be out of the house.

The worst part has been the limited contact with our children and especially our grandchildren, who live a driveable distance away. Skype and phone are OK but they don't replace physical interaction. Cases are rising greatly here in Kansas since the reopening...my band is playing our second gig in the past month this weekend but I'm concerned after that we might be done for the year if restrictions keep tightening.

12. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

Thank you @doctorunderhill. We need to open something uplifting each day at least once.

My family has been well. My wife and I had been working from home for three months with no loss in income. That puts us in an uncommon place these days and we need to keep in mind just how fortunate we are. I'm back to work now. My facility is operating with 50% staffing but as an engineering manager, I'm needed on site. Coming back makes me aware of just how much I want to retire. I've been pushing it back. From the end of March to June, to September. I can't safely fly and Americans aren't welcome in too many places. Maybe I'll stay on and leave on Dec 30. I don't know which will be more stressful, 8 hours a day in an engineering lab or those same 8 hours with my wife.

I need intelligent people to talk to. Social isolation has been tough. We've had a few people to our home for breakfast but my wife and I both miss our "normal" lives going out regularly and hopping on a jet every other month. I won't board a commercial flight for many months as I see it. It won't be safe. We just cancelled two weeks in Hawaii. I trust the linens. I don't trust the resort guests. We both need to go somewhere else. I don't see that happening until there is a major change in how the pandemic is managed. Denial doesn't seem to be working.

I really feel sad for gigging musicians. In college, I had to choose; math and science or music. I made the right choice for me, but I still have a serious connection to music. I wonder what the new normal will be like. Not wanting change will never keep it from happening.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2020
  13. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

Now that my mom's senior facility has relaxed restrictions (with many precautionary practices) she is doing much better.....thanks. Up until a few months ago, I "had" to visit her daily, to help with medicine and food, but also her emotional health. Even when I couldn't see her, she was allowed visits from her Hospice care person, but that wasn't the same to her. My son-in-law's mother contracted the "cooties" in San Antonio, but we hear she is doing better. My twenty-three year old grandson actually took the precautions much more seriously than many adults who should have known better. I haven't suffered from bad cabin fever, mainly because I'm a real "homebody" and enjoy my solitude and quiet. I DO miss playing out, but have tried to use the time productively, learning new material and working on arrangements, in anticipation of getting back to "normal". Unlike some of you guys, music has always been a very serious avocation, but never my sole (or soul) vocation. My parents' generation lived through the trials of the Great Depression and WWII......our sacrifices pale in comparison.
    Everyone.....PLEASE STAY SAFE! ;)

14. ricardo1912

ricardo1912 Tele-Afflicted

Nice thought to ask. Our family is well and happy, partly helped by living in a semi rural area with some lovely walks.

Some hard bits: Lost a friend and our bass player lost his cousin and his wife. Stepson's wedding in Malta got cancelled. We're being careful. Missing friends, hugging the grandkids and the music.

Looking forward to normal. Our normal anyway. Stay safe all.

15. Steerforth

Steerforth Friend of Leo's

I’ve been cooped up far too long. When I finally get out of the house, I’m going to make Hunter Thompson in Las Vegas look like Mister Rogers! :lol:

Nah, I’m fine. Earlier this year I had a funny little dry cough and a tickle in the back of my throat for two weeks, but then it went away and no problems since. Maybe I’m lucky.

The rest of the Steerforths are fine, but they’re all medical types and have been out in the weather and working hard. They follow procedures and they’re all fine.

I hope that everyone stays safe! :)

16. KW1977

KW1977 Tele-Meister

In the past three months:

-Dad had a big cancer surgery & radiation treatment...under his tongue.

-Vocalist had thyroid cancer surgery. Still can't rehearse, much less gig.

-Best friend from high school has been struggling with opiods and OD'd in front of his family(not the first time). Thrown in jail, refuses to go to rehab(not the first time).

-Another good friend is running wild in a manic episode of bipolar. Homeless, unmedicated, running with pimps and tweakers, 5150'd in front of her kid who she just lost custody of.

-Former coworker/friend fell off a three story building(and lived)

-I'm going through a breakup, and just yesterday I was sideswiped in a work vehicle and the entire mirror assembly and window exploded inches from my face.

All during the....yeah that thing! I got a little waterworks at a Hardees drive thru this morning. My only salve has been tinkering with my Tele's and more recently got back into disc golf ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

WHO WANTS PIE?

Last edited: Jul 9, 2020
  17. doctorunderhill

doctorunderhill Tele-Meister

that my friend is a plate Full. hope everything works out for you and yours

KW1977 likes this.
  18. bigbean

bigbean Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Doin' pretty good here.

I think I found a location 7 miles from home for my various endeavors. I'm counting on having this arranged for and set up before the weather socks in and makes this house feel way tooo small between October 2020 and May 2021. Big enough and private enough with enough parking for a band rehearsal space as well.

I hope you and yours are well.

Much obliged.

It was kind of you to enquire.

19. bigbean

bigbean Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

This thread reminds me about a sax player i worked with for a couple of years who during the day was a tech in the histology lab.

He always said about his job:
    "People at the hospital call me Dr. Dolittle, because by the time you get to my lab there is very little I can do for you."

20. aging_rocker

aging_rocker Tele-Holic

Nice of you to ask. I'm sure we've all thought about it...

All good here. No immediate health problems other than the usual old-git stuff, my youngest son had a test for that-which-shall-not-be-named-for-fear-of-moderation, but it was negative.

We are all allowed out to play again here in the upsidedown, but we are very tentative about mingling. I've been working from home all the way through the recent shenanigans.

I'm still playing only at home, so no change there then.

The father of a friend, and someone I've known for decades, passed recently in the UK, again due to that-which-shall-not-be-named-for-fear-of-moderation.

I will become a grandfather (again) in a few weeks. But I can't go to visit (they are in the UK) and say hello until...well I don't actually know.

All in all, I feel fairly lucky right now.

Best wishes to all of you.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.