1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

It's all about the bass... baby!

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by betocool, Dec 20, 2020.

1. betocool

betocool Tele-Meister

Been working on and off, pretty hot these days in the shed, and considering all my options.

I managed to get a cover on. In my head, it looked nicer than it looks in real life, but it works:
    IMG20201226171250.jpg

This was before the sanding and making it nicer and smoother, and adding the soundhole on the top:
    IMG20201227150034.jpg

Unfortunately, the magnet idea will not work. I tested it with a few pieces of wood, and it didn't stick. The magnets have to touch each other and they have to line up perfectly for that to work. Plus, I need stronger magnets than the ones I have. My wife also suggested adding "stilts" on the inside part of the top, and screwing them from the back. And that might work, but it would probably not give the direct coupling I want to the body. In the end, I went with screws after all, which, given that it was the original idea, doesn't bother me at all...
    IMG20201228131606.jpg

The ones there are unscrewed, it was just for show. I'm happy with the industrial look.

Will update more. My next steps will be adding the bridge, the saddle and put some strings on it see how it behaves. Oh, and some bracing on the inside as well.

Cheers,

Alberto

Attached Files:

2. Sybo

Sybo Tele-Meister

Following this!!!!!

3. betocool

betocool Tele-Meister

Last time I was about to start with the bracing. So I did, 'cause I wanted to. I usually forget, as I'm as far away as possible from a trained luthier, I never put bracing in my acoustic builds. But this time I was going to go the extra step.

IMG20201231160724.jpg

I cut some small pieces of pine I had lying around and shaped them to what I remember bracing looks like from the soundhole in...
    IMG20210101143539.jpg

Additionally, I have absolutely no idea of what position affects the sound in which way. That is way above my luthier paygrade at the moment, so I just put them in a way I think makes sense.
    IMG20210101144506.jpg

I'm a step before putting the bass together for the first time, see if it works. I added a bit of strengthening for the mounting studs, as well as two screws holding the saddle (that, plus the glue between saddle and top). The last thing I need is the saddle ripping off the top while I'm stringing it up, that always freaks me out! Because the top is about 3~4mm thick and I'm adding a recess for the mounting studs, I'd rather reinforce the holes where the studs are mounted.
    IMG20210103111533.jpg

And it held! Yay! Whoooh! Allow me this little cheer, as it did creak a bit while putting the strings on the first time, but it held nicely.
    IMG20210103133035.jpg

First impression... nice! It has a few things that need to be sorted out, like the bridge setting and neck relief, but it works fine. It's "way" louder than a regular bass when played unplugged. And since I don't have a PUP for it yet, unplugged it will stay for a while. I'm still between winding my own PUP or getting a ready set. It does have a cool sound to it, maybe I should go piezo on it and leave it as it is... I could always add a PUP later. Thoughts on that?

Has anyone ever built their own bass PUP?

But now, it is time to take it apart unfortunately, and start with the sanding and oiling, before it gets put back together again. Once it's oiled it will look a bit darker in general.

Cheers,

Alberto

Zepfan, Jim_in_PA, photondev and 6 others like this.
  4. crazydave911

crazydave911 Doctor of Teleocity

Quite nice :)

John Nicholas likes this.
  5. ctmullins

ctmullins Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

Congratulations! It’s always a great feeling doing the first string-up, and discovering your new baby’s voice for the first time. Even better when she doesn’t explode.... :eek::lol:

6. wingcommander

wingcommander Tele-Meister

Nice one Alberto.
    You glossed over the bridge and tailpiece build; interested to see your design/build process.
    Did you decide against fret markers, or just forget? Are fret markers a thing for bass guitars?

7. wingcommander

I finished my guitar but I still like to see what everyone is doing, and maybe getting an idea for my next build.
    I did recently do a bit on my guitar but it was just to make a new nut - my original nut was always a temporary one; I bought a bone blank and made a new nut on the Xmas break. Sounds like a bought one. :)

crazydave911 likes this.
  8. betocool

betocool Tele-Meister

I still need to add fret markers. I have only 3 left, so I may just add the three on the 12th fret, and complement with side markers, of which I have plenty left. I noticed that I miss the side markers more often, as I don't really get to see the front markers much while I'm playing!

You're right about the bridge and saddle, I'll take a few closeups later on, but basically, the saddle is a piece of Jarrah with 4 holes to get the string through and 4 bigger holes to accommodate the end ferrules. The bridge is a simple bridge shaped roughly to hold the strings more or less, it still needs a bit of work, but not much fortunately.

Cheers,

Alberto

wingcommander and crazydave911 like this.
  9. betocool

betocool Tele-Meister

Here's a bit more detail on the saddle and bridge. The saddle is a piece of Jarrah (very dark and hard eucalyptus type in Western Australia), which received 4x 3mm holes on the length and 4x 7mm holes perpendicular. I wanted to keep the ferrules within the space of the saddle, keeping them visible:
    IMG20210104170203.jpg

IMG20210104170213.jpg

On the inside, I added some strengthening in the form of screws. Usually I would have used dowels, but I felt I wanted something a bit stronger in this case:
    IMG20210104170223.jpg

The bridge is really just a piece of Jarrah shaped with files to fit on the top. The holes line up very well with the mounting studs, which lets me then regulate up if needed to.
    IMG20210104170335.jpg

Cheers,

Alberto

ctmullins and crazydave911 like this.
  10. wingcommander

I have a few left over fret markers you can have; probably not a whole guitar's worth though.
    Let me know and I can post them to you.

crazydave911 likes this.
  11. betocool

betocool Tele-Meister

Time to let it dry until next weekend after oiling. Feels very smooth, and I enjoy the matte look.

Just three dots on the 12th fret, and white markers on the side.

IMG20210109113729.jpg

IMG20210109131859.jpg

IMG20210109135929.jpg

Cheers,

Alberto

Jim_in_PA and crazydave911 like this.
  12. DrASATele

DrASATele Poster Extraordinaire

Looking sweet!

crazydave911 likes this.
  13. crazydave911

crazydave911 Doctor of Teleocity

If only my arms were longer :(

14. betocool

betocool Tele-Meister

Time to end this until the sequel, which is when I add some electronics. It's purely acoustic at the moment, and it sounds real nice, softer than a guitar, but much louder than an electric bass. I might go and get an acoustic bass piezo of some sort, I don't see myself doing lots of distorted bass at all...

The executive summary:
    34" long bass, of which only the tuners, the nut and the bridge mounting studs are bought. Well, frets as well, but I bought a pound of them like two years ago, and I still have enough for a few more builds, two at least I hope! The wood is partly my former neighbour's patio, Tim L's pine on the neck (had to remove lotsa nails outta that pine!), Tim L's jarrah on the neck and the body stripes. Inspired by Ric, but not quite, as I like my necks bolted from the top, hence the offset behind the neck. Or cheating... I'm cool with both.

Finish is burnishing oil. It gives it a matte and smooth finish, and it feels very friendly to the touch, without being rough. The thumb glides nicely at the back of the neck.

It looks a bit rough, and as usual with my builds, some things did not quite work out, but all in all, I'm really happy with it. To be honest, that neighbour's patio wood is better suited for electrics, and only on those painted ones. Bonus feature though, because the thing is hollowed out, it is quite different to pick up than my Epi Bass. Less weight more sound. Win win!

If anyone can recommend a nice looking PUP, a flat PUP that I could just pop on the top, or a piezo, feel free to add your comments. But that will be the sequel...

IMG20210117184502.jpg

IMG20210117184403.jpg

IMG20210117184430.jpg

IMG20210117184352.jpg

Cheers,

Alberto

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.