It's 32 degrees and you're driving on the highway...

What is the fastest speed that you can driver safely, given the road and temperature conditions?

• 0 - 20 mph

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • 21 - 40 mph

Votes: 9 13.2%
  • 41 mph +

Votes: 57 83.8%

• Total voters

doof

Tele-Holic
Here in Canada, 32F (or 0C), with clear roads, you better be going at least 60mph or you're gonna be slowing everybody down. Now, once it gets to being ice covered, then we'll talk reducing speed.

PCollen

Friend of Leo's
...The roads are clear but damp, and have a little salt on them. What do you think is the fastest speed that you can driver safely?

Thanks.

It's around midnight. Not a lot of cars but trucks. Not windy but a curvy highway; the normal speed limit is 55 mph.
I'd be cautious about black ice. 15-25, depending on traffic, with my emergency flashers on .

boris bubbanov

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
Here in GA where there's probably not going to be salt on the roads, you stay home after making a desperate run to Kroger for milk and bread.

Really?

I bet there's some form of product on the main roads around Helen, Blairsville, Dahlonega, Clayton.

I'm up here in Cherokee County NC (first county North of GA) and every road I drove today was fully treated. And every road I drove yesterday in Polk Co (TN) was treated as well.

boris bubbanov

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
The things we haven't talked about enough are:

1) What's the temperature of the soil at present? Meaning, how soon will the precip on the pavement turn (potentially) to black ice in areas where the treatment has been scoured away? and

2) What going on with the sun? If you're driving in lots of direct sunlight, you've got way more margin than you'd have if it was heavy overcast.

boris bubbanov

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
32F, of course.

I had a scare one time when warm moist air was streaming up from (the Gulf I suppose) and the air temperature was about 50. But the pavement was dead cold, and the water vapor condensed out onto the road and it iced up in the heavily shaded over areas. So, 32F is magical (and funny how the readout on the car stays at 32F for the longest time) but in other ways, just getting up to 32F or even above - isn't enough.

I think a lot of motorists crash out because they assume 32F or more air temperature means easy sailing. I don't stay home just because things get colder and I don't assume, just because the coast is almost clear, that I can go back to texting on a phone.

Last edited:

57joonya

Tele-Afflicted
They put so much salt on the roads here in nj, that your pretty darn safe doing the speed limit on damp roads . Good tire condition is always a huge plus . I have a four wheel drive truck , but have had. I need for it whatsoever , 99.99 % of the time . When the snow starts accumulating, that’s when ya gotta practice a bit more prudence….on the road that is

Doctor of Teleocity
Fairly slowly, because I wouldn’t take the highway under those circumstances. Too far between exits, and all it takes is one to mess up everybody’s plans.

boris bubbanov

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
No chance of that happening around here.
South Louisiana we shut down all the roads for a light frost.

I hear you.

But honestly, I think South Louisiana roads should be closed when in doubt. Why? It isn't the roads per se - it is the driver experience level with this and the uncanny way that the most foolish drivers will be out there and everyone else knows it and would stay home. If there was a way we could reverse that (we never will) then it would be simple to drive in.

I learned to drive in Upstate New York. I'd always yearn to drive in So. Louisiana in sketchy conditions but instead we'd venture out on foot - and watch the unprepared locals all drive into the canals and etc. My yearning to drive in tough conditions was sated until I could get to W. VA or Colorado or something.