It's 32 degrees and you're driving on the highway...

What is the fastest speed that you can driver safely, given the road and temperature conditions?

• 0 - 20 mph

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • 21 - 40 mph

Votes: 9 13.2%
  • 41 mph +

Votes: 57 83.8%

• Total voters

ZackyDog

Friend of Leo's
...The roads are clear but damp, and have a little salt on them. What do you think is the fastest speed that you can driver safely?

Thanks.

It's around midnight. Not a lot of cars but trucks. Not windy but a curvy highway; the normal speed limit is 55 mph.

Last edited:

ZackyDog

Friend of Leo's
Not enough info to assess. Time of day, wind factors, road surface, traffic levels, road contours, actual specified speed limit, etc.

If you have some specific driving safety message you’d like to pass along, then just do that.

Thanks for caring, though.

OK.

It's around midnight. Not a lot of cars but trucks. Not windy but a curvy highway; the normal speed limit is 55 mph.
revised OP

Fretting out

Doctor of Teleocity
Platinum Supporter
Are you making this thread while observing these things?

If so I wouldn’t be driving at all ;)

Unless you’re in the passenger seat

teletimetx

Doctor of Teleocity
OK.

revised OP
Well that’s a start. Pacific NW might have road conditions such as “clear, but damp”, but elsewhere on the planet, not necessarily. Yes, I lived in Portland for 2 months, so I can estimate what you’re trying to emulate, maybe.

Seriously, IMO, if you have a message, then just do that.

Kind of deciding I don’t really care.

Peegoo

Doctor of Teleocity
The fastest speed what I can safely drive are precisely one mile per hour below the speed that I'd doing when I'm lose traction and go spinning off into the rhubarb.

Results not typical. Do not attempt. Your actual mileage may vary. Professional driver on a closed course. This does not constitute medical advice; consult an attorney before suing a doctor. Batteries not included.

Quexoz

Tele-Meister
32, damp but salted? Only real concern is icy bridges, barely. If it's not safe to do 40, I am off, or on my way off the road anyway.

ZackyDog

Friend of Leo's
Well that’s a start. Pacific NW might have road conditions such as “clear, but damp”, but elsewhere on the planet, not necessarily. Yes, I lived in Portland for 2 months, so I can estimate what you’re trying to emulate, maybe.

Seriously, IMO, if you have a message, then just do that.

Kind of deciding I don’t really care.
There's no message; I just wanted some kind of sanity check. There have been major accidents lately on CT highways, and now I think that I know why.

I lived in Portland, Oregon hospitals for 3 months, recovering from a near death experience with the flu. I lived in the Seattle area for 22+ years; now I'm back where I grew up in CT.

telemnemonics

Telefied
Ad Free Member
10% over the speed limit.
Maine winters the roads North of Augusta and East of 95 are (or were when i lived up there) white hard pack all winter.
I've driven 200 miles on sheet ice.
I've driven 50 miles in a blizzard that mostly allowed me to see most of the length of the hood, drove by the feel of the shoulder from Bangor to Bar Harbor.
Some places and times leave no other option than to drive under bad conditions.
All speed or direction adjustments should be very gentle.
When sideways and backwards on ice, just relax and wait for some grip or your speed to diminish.
Nothing fear can improve!
In Maine the worse the weather the fewer the vehicles.
In Boston the sense is less prevalent.

telemnemonics

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Seriously though the listed specs, 32f, clear but damp pavement, and salt?
That's just not an icy condition, not at all.
Unless the municipality isn't used to winter and the "salt" isn't really there.
First freeze of the season I don't assume the roads are well salted.
Or if there was flooding torrential rains for a solid hour or more that washed away all the salt.
If I'm unsure or there's any doubt I try the brakes to determine how much if any grip I have.

stormsedge

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
It all depends.

Edit: Funny...around here, the instant the temps hit 32F around here, people start driving like there is ice everywhere...not the case. It takes hours for the roads to cool enough to freeze over.