1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

It's 2020. How much should a "good" tele cost

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by MAXXFIELD, Nov 16, 2020.

How much should a "good' tele be

1. $0-300

11 vote(s)
    3.9%
  2. $300-500

51 vote(s)
    18.1%
  3. $500-700

79 vote(s)
    28.0%
  4. $700-1000

74 vote(s)
    26.2%
  5. $1000-1500

41 vote(s)
    14.5%
  6. More than $1500

26 vote(s)
    9.2%
  1. Mur

Mur Tele-Afflicted

FWIW, I'm happy with CS or Squier ...have both and sound great on both.

2. Brek01

Brek01 NEW MEMBER!

My price is around the £300 region. I have just bought a chele with American two piece swamp ash body, which I have just bought a roasted maple neck for, as I want to put the original neck on a strat I have refinished in white. I am amazed at how ‘resonate’ it is, only ever heard people talk about that with les Paul’s. This thing moves when you strum it. It sounds damn good even with stock pickups. Total cost inc extra neck is £300. My only other tele I have owned was the fender baha, I didn’t get on with it, one of the strings at the cowboy end was always out of tune when playing chords. Nut looked fine, intonation was to spec, well as to spec a 3 lump bridge can be. Sold it.

3. mfguitar

mfguitar Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

To me "good" means I could play out with it, not have any issues and be comfortable playing it. I voted for $700-$1000, while you can certainly get playable options for less there not as plentiful as a few years back. I bought a CV once for under $300 just to see how they were and it was fine, my MIM was probably around $300 years ago and that guitar was very serviceable but you can't touch them anymore for under 5 around here. I would expect to pay over 5 for a parts-caster with good bones and I know I can buy a Logan for around $1k that will be really nice.

4. trackerdan

trackerdan Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

I bought a new in the box USA built Fender American Professional solid Rosewood necked Rose Gold Tele from GC for $1250.00, and it sings.

myteleplaysjazz likes this.
  5. Chupacabra

Chupacabra TDPRI Member

2ad63f0f2333d5bc0e423689f90ef38d.jpg

teletail, mojek and SheldonP like this.
  6. John_B

John_B Tele-Meister

After calculating my investments in 2 total 100 o/o mods on 2 nice used MIM Teles (all in at $770 each & my free labor) AND looking at the new Surf Pearl maple neck Player Tele for $700 that I like so much AND the new American Performer Vintage White (cream yellow) maple neck Tele I would also love to own..... I'd say average is $1000 USD.

Attached Files:

7. DADGAD

DADGAD Friend of Leo's

In 1970, I bought a used USA Tele for $125. In today’s dollar that would be $838.88. So, that’s the amount I’ll vote for.

8. hmemerson

hmemerson TDPRI Member Platinum Supporter

I've seen numerous Fender built Telecasters that really float my boat, visually.

Unfortunately they have NEVER built one that fit my fretting hand, and for less than THEY would charge via the custom shop, I got so much more building my own via Warmoth, Pete Biltoft, et al.

Regards,
    Howard Emerson

9. billmcgill47

billmcgill47 TDPRI Member

In order of cost, 1. Classic vibe, 2. Baja, 3. USA deluxe/Elite.

10. ADAOCE

ADAOCE TDPRI Member

Found a dean tele copy on Craigslist for $100 then out new pickups and electronics in it as well as set it up and it plays like a damn dream. Put a strat pickup in the neck and added a series toggle switch too. I love this guitar.

Attached Files:

11. afireinside

afireinside TDPRI Member

Grab a used USA G&L.

mojek likes this.
  12. mrgeeze

mrgeeze TDPRI Member

$2k
    A great telecaster can be had for this amount +- 10%.
    You only need one of them .
    Buy it and play it.

really don’t want just a good one.
    Done.

53Strat likes this.
  13. warchol

warchol TDPRI Member

I also own a $350 Chinese Thinline with 2 humbuckers that is an excellent guitar. It required a pickup upgrade (Fralin p92 & TV Jones Classic Plus) and new Callaham bridge saddles to achieve it's potential. That said a "good" tele by my experience costs:

Guitar: $350
    Fralin: $160
    TV Jones: $150
    Callaham saddles: $40
    --------
    Real good tele: $700

Jay Jernigan likes this.
  14. Jay Jernigan

Jay Jernigan Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I went with $3-500 because of the key word "good" in quotation marks. Not "great" or "incredible."
    Not "killer" or even "awesome."
    And I have played a couple of sub $300 Teles that were good.
    They are all tools of the trade and if I can tick the requisite boxes I'm good to go.
    I have to admit that I am a bit of a bottom feeder so tone, sustain and intonation are high on the list and not much else matters, except for maybe vibe.
    It seems, also, that I can't resist making modifications on Fender types so I'm best served in that price range.
    Or lower.

15. pippoman

pippoman Tele-Meister

I’m the same way - I want it right, and yes, the Richie Kotzen checks all the boxes for me. I got mine used from a brick and mortar store, otherwise I never would’ve known I liked that big old fat neck! Per my personal preference, the rotary switch had to go, but I’ve saved it in case I ever sell it. After two years playing it, I don’t see that happening.

Jakedog likes this.
  16. Chuckboy

Chuckboy TDPRI Member

Just over $1K - the Brad Paisley Esquire with the "Secret Agent" under-the-pickguard pickup for $1400 on Reverb would be my choice, all day long.

sequencepro likes this.
  17. Yuro

Yuro TDPRI Member

Guys, there are "competent" Teles, "Good" Teles, GREAT Teles and Grail Teles.

How much for a real '52 to 56 that's resonant, plays like the angels and looks the business because is IS the business? How about a star guitar tele? The fair price is whatever someone will pay for it.

I have to agree that a lot of barely competent Teles sell for too much in the retail shops. If you're buying used online, you can't see that the neck alignment with the body is a little off. Squires of a certain age had plastic gears in the tuners and would not stay in tune. Then there is the wood. Cheapies have wood with too much moisture in it. They have all the resonance of a feather pillow. They usually weigh a pound or two more than they should. Do you like poly finish on your Tele? I don't. Hows the setup? If you want to do it yourself anyway, I guess this isn't an issue...but are the frets nice and even? Again, if you're a DIYer with a full cadre of Stu-Mack luthier tools, you can fix anything...buy cheap and have at it.

I only have ONE "Tele". It was hand made from old lumber collected by Michael DeTemple. It is exceptional and it wasn't cheap. I don't need another. I started buying at the top and worked cheaper. I got a '61 Gibson 335, then a '57 Gold Top, then a Masterbuilt John Cruz '62 strat relic, then this Tele. Yeah, it's pretty nuts, but I have these reference guitars now that I can judge anything on a store shelf against.

BTW, I think both Collings and Knaggs guitars compare favorably against any of these grails.
    They're not cheap either but they sing in a way that only a few Fenders and Gibsons do.

18. Yuro

Yuro TDPRI Member

Wow, wasn't there also a Jeff Beck Esquire with that sneaky neck pickup prior to the Paisley?

19. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

Whatever Jimmy Page or Steve Cropper paid for theirs.

My ‘92 MIM was $300-ish used. In 2015 I think ?

I thought I over paid then but, you couldn’t pry it out of my hands now.

$3000 or $3500 for a relic Nocaster or similar?

If it is exactly the way you want it, I have no problem with that.

I’ve played a real ‘57 and a real ‘53 and a real ‘51 - and there’s no difference !

So getting one for 10x less money is great.

20. arlum

arlum Tele-Meister Platinum Supporter

My least expensive Tele cost $500.00. The most expensive was purchased for around $3000.00. While most electric guitars models would get my vote in the more than $1500 position Telecasters are a different animal. Leo used a cheap simple design along with inexpensive parts and put together a wonderful instrument. My $500.00 Fender MIM Telecaster played just fine. The pickups could have been improved but I left it stock. It feels good in my hands and the plain white body looks plenty good to take a stage with. I would think the Telecaster is the best "bang for the buck" electric guitar ever designed.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.