1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

It's 1988, and Little Charlie and the Duke Have a Date

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by Drak, Mar 4, 2021.

1. Drak

Drak Tele-Holic

I actually was at this show, I found it on YT and I couldn't believe there was a house shot in existence.
    30 years later, like living it all over again.
    Most of the people there had more than likely seen both of these guys separately, I had, several times.
    They actually played separate sets that night, there's other YT's on this guys channel if you're interested.
    But to catch them together that night was just jaw-dropping for everyone there.
    I bet Danny Gatton's ears were itching that night.

Anyway, on to the show.
    I love the distinct difference between the always-pristine gorgeous tone of Duke's Epiphone Zephyr...
    Against Charlie's HB powered Gibson which can get a little dirty when he digs in.
    They just never ran out of musical ideas...
    The 'Real Show' starts around 6:30 in, then it just never lets up.

You won't be clicking off of this one till it's over, so buckle up.

2. Cali Dude

Cali Dude Tele-Afflicted

I lived in Northern California back when little Charlie and the cats were ruling. I saw them several times over those years. Just a great band, with a truly Special guitar player in Charlie Baty.

3. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Great players!
    RIP, and thanks Charlie.

GGardner likes this.
  4. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Doctor of Teleocity

Boy, Little Charlie had the timing, chops, and perfect tone for the jump blues.
    Pretty, fat, but with snarl and bite too.
    ES-175 w/ PAF's, right?

Wonderful playing by both!

brookdalebill likes this.
  5. stratoman1

stratoman1 Friend of Leo's

I saw Little Charlie at a small festival here on the beach a while ago, probably about 15 years. Great little band, I'd never heard of them before. Duke pops up in my Pandora feeds sometimes. Well worth listening to

6. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Charlie, although a skilled player, was expert at drawing the ire of sound crews. He got his due one night in a poorly wired nightclub in Davenport, IA, while a member of the "Pretty Things/Yardbirds Blues Band" when we removed the (electrically insulating) foam windscreen from his vocal mic after soundcheck. You could see the arc from his mic to his lip from FOH. "Sorry, you just sounded muffled at soundcheck..."snicker snicker. I have had other "normal" encounters with the guy during festivals, but he had a stick lodged firmly up somewhere that particular evening, and we weren't having it.

7. billy logan

billy logan Tele-Meister

Old Deaf Roadie - Hopefully you posted your ...... post in perfect ignorance of the fact that today is exactly one year since Little Charlie passed away?

obituary.aspx

8. suave eddie

suave eddie Friend of Leo's

I too was living in N.California during their heyday and got to see the Nightcats several times.

What I always found interesting was that Charlie started out playing harp and Rick Estrin started out playing guitar.

SnidelyWhiplash likes this.
  9. Drak

Drak Tele-Holic

I've been searching a lot of LC and Duke lately and found this really old LC gem.
    They look like kids! (kinda)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.