It Was Never About The Poverty, Man

chris m.

Doctor of Teleocity
As a guitar player, even if you have the chops, there are thousands of other guys that have as good or better chops than you.

Songwriting is definitely where it's at, if you can do it.

Here are my current fantasies about what I would spend $$ on if I had hedge-fund-manager type wealth:

- housekeeper
- driver
- personal trainer/chiro/PT/massage therapist
- personal chef
- private jet flights wherever I want to go, or else first/business class
- nice man cave with full studio and nice gear collection
- nice surf safari vacation every year

39martind18

Friend of Leo's
Every artist starts out all about the art, but once you get attached to labels and production companies it becomes a business like anything else. That is why so many of us will admit to liking a band's "early stuff", but not their later work....the art was lost.

Funny story about that Lambo. I served with a MSGT who retired after 30 years in the Marines. His dream was to buy a Lambo and he lived frugal and saved all that he could for that day. He went to the dealer after retiring and ordered his dream car.

It was delivered 2 weeks later without wheels. Tires and wheels are options when you buy a Lambo and he only had enough to order a "base model" so he told them zero options. I have never seen a more crushed face in my life than seeing them roll off a dream machine without wheels. The wheels alone were multiple thousands and the tires about the same.
That's just crappy! Selling a car, any car without tires and wheels- making them "optional!" Just for that, I'm never going to buy a Lamborghini!

getbent

Tele Axpert
Gold Supporter
As a guitar player, even if you have the chops, there are thousands of other guys that have as good or better chops than you.

Songwriting is definitely where it's at, if you can do it.

Here are my current fantasies about what I would spend $$ on if I had hedge-fund-manager type wealth:

- housekeeper
- driver
- personal chef
WHEN... I win the lottery, I'm gonna hire two people to just keep my garage/shop clean, tools put away and to go to the store and make sure we have all the screws, bolts, etc in stock and ready to go whenever. It will be a great job because I'll only be in the shop 2-3 days a week.

Stringbanger

Telefied
Ad Free Member
😀:lol:😍:confused::confused::eek:o_OI'm playing music ... making noise for myself, it's really ele ctric noise honestly, but I like it.
I like it, like it , like it like it yes I do.
Who are you gonna satisfy with that little thing?
somebody said when they looked at my Squier mini Strat. I just smiled and said "MYSELF."
Definitely a case of mistaken identity!?:mad:👄o_O😍

Masmus

Tele-Afflicted
Lottery Odds. You can be a Virtuoso, an incredible Composer and it's still like buying a lottery ticket.
Duke Ellington said something like "The right man at the right time in the right place with the right Music."
Write it out mathematically and Bingo! Lottery Odds.
There are far more million dollar lottery winners than millionaire musicians.

Trenchant63

Tele-Holic
I never knew the lyrics to Synchronicity II until today. Sting at the peak of The Police's popularity singing about how awful the rat race is. Thanks Sting, people everywhere are helped tremendously when they hear you telling them how awful and meaningless their lives are and how much better off they could be if they also were multimillionaires.
I thought the lyrics were cool. But I like my rock stars arrogant and having a certain distain for the unwashed masses. It gives us little people something to gossip about!!

Happy Enchilada

Friend of Leo's
I'll never have a Lambo, but I raised a pair of Eagle Scouts.
I've also never been to rehab or had my personal life splattered across the tabloids.
Plus I don't think Lambo makes a 4WD pickup ...

Bobbyoso

Tele-Meister
Gotta love Bob Weir's famous take on how success had affected him and his penchant for pistachios.

Like most things, money is a much bigger issue when you have too little than too much. In fact, I believe the Stones addressed this tangentially; you can't always get what you want...

P Thought

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member

- housekeeper
- driver
- personal chef
I don't know how it is now, but it used to be a truism that rich people didn't get that way by
spending all their money

Swirling Snow

Tele-Afflicted
My Mum knew some people with money, and I spent an afternoon guiding a young man around our fair city as he prepared to dodge the draft by attending Monaco University. First, to the tailors, where he selected day and evening styles and chose materials from great bolts of cloth they brought out while we sipped tea. Then, down the hill to the department store where he bought dozens of Goldtoes and Fruit of the Loom.

I don't know how it is now, but it used to be a truism that rich people didn't get that way by spending all their money

Mjark

Doctor of Teleocity
Gold Supporter
Every artist starts out all about the art,
Kinda sorta, artists need food and shelter just like the rest of us. I have a collection of Beethoven's correspondence and was surprised to see how much of it was about money. Pretty much zero lofty ruminations on music.

justusberlin

Tele-Meister
it is all about your mindset

budget.jpg

Chester P Squier

Friend of Leo's
I have found it interesting that the Rolling Stones tried to look like blue-collar working-class boys when Mick Jagger's father was a professor at the London School of Economics. And Mick was a student there.

And being a good economics student, he dropped out of college when his night job got to be very profitable.

Then there was Brian Jones, who apparently grew up in a home that was able to afford various musical instruments for him to learn.