...it was all in the pick after all.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by backsideslappy, Jun 18, 2013.

1. backsideslappy

backsideslappy Tele-Afflicted

I've dropped a heap of money this year on pedals, cables, pickups etc trying to get my sound up to snuff (I'm not a gigger, but I like to think I can at least play reasonably, and I'm on that same quest for good tone as most other people on this forum).

While I'm by no means disappointed in any of my purchases - I've picked up some phenomenal OD and fuzz pedals and my cables are quiet as a mouse - none of the upgrades have really "improved" my playing (I know, I know, that's something only practice can do), they've just made it sound different.

The other day I ordered some new picks, as the pick gremlins have taken all of my existing ones wherever they take picks. I grabbed 12 tortex pitch black jazz .73mms in the bundle of picks, and they are absolutely fantastic. I've not bonded with the previous jazz III's I think because they were too slippery for how small they are. I generally use the .71 gators but the jazz tip on these ones gives me much more control over tremolo picking and skipping between strings quickly.

It's funny what can get you totally excited about sitting down and playing for hours - these pitch black jazz III's have done just the trick.

2. OceanBoy

OceanBoy Tele-Meister

You know, I'm kind of in the same boat as you. I've been trying a few different pedals over the past year and I was using Tortex (60 mm) picks exclusively. I noticed lately that there is a clicking sound that has been part of my attack that is getting annoying lately :)

I ordered some John Petrucci Jazz III Ultex 1.5 picks online and I'm kind of curious how they will change my tone. It might take a while to get used to new picks, but I'm hoping the effort is worth it. It's a big change.

http://www.jimdunlop.com/product/john-petrucci-jazz-iii

3. P Thought

P Thought Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Picks are one place where the "rubber meets the road" analogy applies. They make a definite difference in sound and feel, and there are many choices. I like to play one for a while in any given guitar, then switch them up, and it's almost like getting a new instrument, but much cheaper, even if it's an "expensive" pick.

4. screamin eagle

screamin eagle Poster Extraordinaire

Clayton 1.52...try 'em.

5. homesick345

homesick345 Poster Extraordinaire

fingers around the house, picks for gigs

works great, & I haven't bought a pick in ages - cause I don't loose them anymore

NOTHING sounds like finger picking.

6. E5RSY

E5RSY Doctor of Teleocity

If you like the Jazz IIIs, I recommend you give the ULTEX Jazz IIIs a shot. I think you may like them even more, if you can imagine that.

7. terminiola

terminiola Tele-Meister

For some reason, the jazz shape is the only one allows me to hybrid pick with anything approaching facility. All the ones mentioned are very good, I like the pickboy jazz celluloid, 1.5 mm.

8. Breen

Breen Friend of Leo's

^^^ +1 for me. I only can ever use Stubbys.

Picks have a change in sound for me. Tone I don't know as much but sound most definitely. Like picking with a pick vs hands/fingers.

9. Jimmy Dean

Jimmy Dean Tele-Afflicted

I just picked up some Graphtech Tusq picks. I had been using Dunlop nylon .72 picks since the 80's. When dropped on a hard surface they soud like a ceramic. I have never liked stiff picks, but these are amazing, no pick noise just clear tone. These things sound so great that I'm not going back to the Dunlops. Best dollar I ever spent on improving my tone.

10. johnnyrotten

johnnyrotten Tele-Meister

Somebody gave me some wood ones for my birthday, really love them!

11. gitold

gitold Poster Extraordinaire

I've been using Jazz III's since the 70's. I've tried to use every pick imaginable but the Jazz III always wins.

12. dmagalhaes

dmagalhaes TDPRI Member

Try the Jazz III's Max-Grip's with the little nubs like the Herco's, those won't slip. Matter of fact they exfoliate your skin!

13. Stubee

Stubee Poster Extraordinaire

I discovered these--the red ones--after a rather inexplicable decades-long foray into other pick shapes/styles & am wondering: "WTH was I thinking??"

I started in 1970 with Fender Jazz heavies & maybe gave them up as 'slippery' but no matter: the Jazz III stays put & is perfect for me now.

14. J-man

J-man Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    I used to use those small, Dunlop red "Jazz" picks. Then I went through a phase of never using a pick for anything, now I use Dunlop Nylon .88s. It's weird because I've used various nylon picks in the past and never liked any of them (too much flex). I don't know whether my playing has changed or whether I just found a good compromise.

15. rokdog49

rokdog49 Friend of Leo's

Try some of these if you need to lighten your wallet:

http://gravitypicks.com/

I received one as a gift and I have to say I like it. I keep it locked up in my safe at night.

16. PaulStrattele

PaulStrattele Tele-Holic

Picks are the one thing I'll try on a whim. They definitely have their own character. Some I like, others get deposited in a fishing tackle box. They are always there for the friends that show up with out a pick.
    My current fav is the Dunlop Max Grip 1.5. I still like the gator grips and Fender Celluloids but I wish the Fenders we thicker.

17. Joe-Bob

Joe-Bob Doctor of Teleocity

Yup! I've been trying to tell you guys for quite some time now that new picks are the cheapest set of new pickups you can buy! ;)

18. playforfun

playforfun Tele-Holic

Gonna try the gravity picks they look cool. The blue chip picks are real good too

Attached Files:

19. colchar

colchar Friend of Leo's

I've been switching around picks a lot lately and, funnily enough, I started using one of those again last night. Not 100% certain I will stick with it, but I am using it right now.

If you like Jazz IIIs but do not like how slippery they are you should try the Max Grip ones:

http://www.jimdunlop.com/product/max-grip-jazz-III

Personally, I like the brighter tone from the Pitch Black picks but you might like the Max Grip Jazz IIIs.

20. Ed P

Ed P Friend of Leo's

Tried a buddy's Blue Chip while playing my dreadnaught the other night. I am a TOTAL cynic about this stuff, but he had to pry it out of my hands to get it back.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.