It smelt a little fishy...

Preacher

Poster Extraordinaire
Many years ago I was watching one of the fishing shows on tv with a friend. He claimed that the shows were sometimes faked and that a diver had fish in a cage that he would hook onto their line when they casted. I'm not sure that that is the case but I'm confident that they edit out all of the times that they got skunked.

One of favorite fishing shows ever...

1664909080269.png

Jimmy Houston Outdoors

I had a friend of a friend who worked as a cameraman for Jimmy. He said it was the best and worse job he ever had. Apparently they had a lot of fun when the camera wasn't rolling which would not be suitable for TV.
However he said there were times when he would sit for hours with the film rolling and the fish were not biting.

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
that is kind of one of the reason I quit fishing in tourneys. There were too many people out there cheating. It is kind of like a golf tourney scramble where four men teams go out and keep their own score. There is always going to be two or three teams that shoot 52 (18 under par, birdie on each hole). I played in one last week and we had two teams shoot 18 under. I remember playing in one a year ago where we had three teams shoot 18 under, and then another card came in at 22 under. They claimed they birdied every hole but the four par 5s which they made eagle on each. One of the teams that shot 18 under accused the winners of cheating, he said and I quote: "no four man team can make a birdie or an eagle on every hole without cheating!"

The time that made me quit competitive fishing was a two man team contest that cost $200 to enter. My friend who had a boat had entered and asked me to be his second. I ponied up a C note and we were set to go off early one Saturday morning. His little ranger bass boat looked like a Volkswagen beetle next to all of the professionals who had come to town for this event. There was something like a hundred teams entered I believe and the grand prize was $10K cash.

We had this honey hole that had some big bass in it so that was going to be our first stop, however those pro boats were so much faster they kind of left us in the dust so we just putt putted over to our spot. We pull up against this dock and start fishing and we catch a couple of nice bass right off the bat. We are sitting almost on the bank and kind of hidden behind a dock when we hear another boat come roaring into our cove. It is one of the pro boats and they don't see us when they come in. We figured it is a free lake and if they want to fish there then that is their right.
Except they don't even throw a line in the water. They pull up to a dock across the cove, tie on and then one of the guys starts hauling this large metal cage out of the water. We watched as the guy dragged that cage onto the boat and then dropped two large bass into their live well.
My partner then starts yelling, "hey, you cheaters!" which got them moving in a hurry. Before my partner could even get our boat started they had dropped that cage and were gone like a shot across the water. We drove over to the dock and pulled that cage up which still had a pretty large bass and a couple of regular size bass in it. My partner pulled all the fish out and dropped them back into the water and then he took his wire cutters and severed the line to the cage (it was one of those nice stainless steel ones too) and let it go to the bottom of the lake.
We did end up fishing around that area hoping to catch the really large bass we had released but he never bit.

We brought our five bass in for weigh in and came in 38th out of the 100 or so teams. I don't know if those guys ended up winning or not but it left such a bad taste in our mouth that we both quit competing.
He's retired now, but a local PGA teaching pro put together a scramble team that played in some qualifiers out here on the west coast. They won all of them and ended up going to Florida and actually won the big tournament back there. Some of their scores were actually better than 18 under, and they were watched pretty closely. I don't think they had a 22 under, but I think they did card a 21 under.

After winning the tournament, a number of prizes, and $5000 in cash, the boys on the team wanted a share of the loot. The pro told them don't be silly boys, you're amateurs and can't participate int the money portion of this deal. The pro was unsuccessful in putting another winning team together. It seems they didn't much like paying their own expenses and having their team captain pocket ALL of the loot!

ale.istotle

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
The only reason they were caught was because of how absurd their weights came in. If they made them a little heavy they may have won without suspicion.

1664912402478.png

dogmeat

Friend of Leo's
here in AK we have a bunch of tournaments and prizes. the judges look close at the fish and guys have been caught doing stuff like bringing a Kenai Coho (bigger subspecies) over to the Seward Silver Salmon Derby. a judge thats in the know can recognize the difference by sight.. don't even need the DNA.

Preacher

Poster Extraordinaire
here in AK we have a bunch of tournaments and prizes. the judges look close at the fish and guys have been caught doing stuff like bringing a Kenai Coho (bigger subspecies) over to the Seward Silver Salmon Derby. a judge thats in the know can recognize the difference by sight.. don't even need the DNA.

What did the Nascar guys always say? "If you ain't cheating you ain't trying."

Preacher

Poster Extraordinaire
I must say the other competitors showed great restraint.
When asked about their incredible run of luck before the event in Cleveland, Runyan said on camera, “We’ve won three LEWT tournaments in a row: Lorain, Ashtabula and Geneva. I don’t want to sound arrogant or cocky but I am confident that we should do well in this championship also because that’s just what we do, winners win.”

See the rest of the article here

I am really beginning to really not like these guys...

Preacher

Poster Extraordinaire
Just an update...

Cominsky and Runyan pleaded not guilty to cheating and other charges this week. They had a brief court appearance in Cleveland on Wednesday.

The county prosecutor however "takes crime seriously" so we shall see what happens.