1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

It seems that "the band" wants to change its Format!

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by 2HBStrat, Nov 18, 2020.

1. Mexitele Blues

Mexitele Blues Tele-Afflicted

Their one hit is about doing crystal meth. :confused:

2. CJM3309

CJM3309 Tele-Meister

I just want to acknowledge this Simpson's quote. Well played

In those days nickels had pictures of bumblebees on them. "Give me five bees for a quarter you'd say"

3. 985plowboy

985plowboy Friend of Leo's

You are looking for a reason to stay?
    Bail.
    Artistic differences.
    Stay friends.

Bassman8 and Mexitele Blues like this.
  4. Mexitele Blues

Mexitele Blues Tele-Afflicted

I used to be with it! Then they changed what it was! Now what I'm with isn't it, and what's it seems weird and scary! It could happen TO YOU.

Allan Allan, CJM3309 and bendercaster like this.
  5. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

A: What is the band playing now?
    B: What do you like to play?

6. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Friend of Leo's

There is great value, in simply being a part of, and an enabler for a good band, that folks want to see and enjoy, as a wage earning band. I don't know if 90's covers is all that popular, but if that is what this band (and singer) do best, its worth testing the market and see. I've been a part of successful bands that weren't my personal preference of material, and it did not take away from the success of getting hired, getting tips, and pleasing other folks. Many times, if a band simply does what it does really well, folks will find a way to cheer you on and enjoy the experience. Sometimes a band is successful, because they commit the awful, of giving folks the tunes they want to hear. Lessons learned.

The alternative, is to pursue your personal preference in music for yourself. If you are lucky enough to find two or more other folks who feel the same, and then lucky enough to have one with practice space, and lucky enough that one or two can sing, then you can have fun when you decide to get together, and you can even call it a band. This is also a worthy activity, but opposite in goals to a wage earning band.

johnny7 likes this.
  7. SomeGuyNamedRob

SomeGuyNamedRob Tele-Meister

The Melvins
    TAD
    The Pixies
    Age of Electric
    Sloan
    I Mother Earth
    Monster Magnet
    Matthew Good Band

gregulator450 and Mexitele Blues like this.
  8. johnny7

johnny7 Tele-Meister

I am of two minds on this. My first reaction would be to walk. Why play songs you do not like or would not listen to? Then I start thinking that a band is always better collectively then individually. Put your own spin on the parts you play. Work with the arrangement, make it your own. In bands I have been in we found a way to make a song "ours". I discovered that playing songs I did not like, made me a better guitarist. Some music I like, I would never play in a band because it may be too eclectic, does not fit my style of playing and may be just too technical for me to play. Some songs I just can't sing as my vocal range is not right for it. In one three piece band I was in, we chose the songs based on my vocals which made it quite limiting. No Spirit of Radio for this band even though I like Rush.

All that being said...if you enjoy the company of your bandmates and have fun playing...have fun with them and the gigs. If you don't enjoy any of it and it becomes more work than fun then leave the band and form your own to play the music you like. Life is too short to be unhappy with a hobby. :cool::cool::cool:

9. davidge1

davidge1 Friend of Leo's

My advice would be: if you don't like the music, you should leave.

But since you asked whether there's a market for 90s music, the answer is yes, absolutely. In both Los Angeles and San Diego, there are "alternative" radio stations that started in the '80s and kept playing new music into the 90s. As the 90s wore on, less and less new music was added to the rotation – basically because there WASN'T any new music that fit their format. These stations to this day play mainly 90s music.

But I don't like much 90s music either...

10. 4 Cat Slim

4 Cat Slim Friend of Leo's

It kind of reminds me of when the guys in Spinal Tap decided to go free form jazz
    for the gig at the amusement park.
    I had something similar happen in the praise/worship group I was playing in.
    We stuck to mostly traditional music, which worked well, as I could mainly play an
    acoustic and one of our vocalist had the right kind of voice that worked well.
    Our leader decided he wanted to add amplified keyboards and go more in the direction of
    what's the equivalent of arena rock as far as contemporary Christian music goes.
    I tried to stay with it for a while, but ultimately I had to leave, the vibe was so much different.
    Just not what I wanted to do at all.

11. Si G X

Si G X Tele-Afflicted

Mudhoney 'grunge adjacent' ... ?

Superfuzz Bigmuff was the first thing I heard from any of the Seattle bands. That raw garage thing is exactly what grunge is to me.

Doorlord likes this.
  12. Si G X

Si G X Tele-Afflicted

My band plays Cecelia Ann (pixies style)

I wouldn't cover any of their own songs, I like them too much. :D

13. posttoastie

posttoastie Tele-Holic

14. arlum

arlum Tele-Holic Platinum Supporter

Do you have a day job? Is your position in the band your main source of income? If it's a job you actually need to provide for your family I'd play disco, jump up and down to the beat and focus on the check. If your primary reason for being in a band is you love to play you'll only be satisfied playing in one that shares your taste in material.

15. Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog Friend of Leo's

Grunge covers might actually be worse than listening to ZZ Top/SRV covers.

16. WhiskeyRebellio

WhiskeyRebellio TDPRI Member

IMO 90's rock/grunge and even pop are pretty popular right now. All of the successful non-country cover bands that I know play a bunch of the stuff. I've had very good luck with it as well. It just makes sense that 90's nostalgia is picking up popularity.. people who grew up listening to it as kids are established and have money to burn now.

Whatizitman and bendercaster like this.
  17. SRHmusic

SRHmusic Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

"And if the band you're in starts playing different tunes..."

18. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

Dude it's all opinion. Cmon. In my opinion, Nirvana was most famous and had some catchy tunes and good drumming. Personally they were never one of my faves. STP and Pearl Jam were stadium rock barely disguised as the New Thing, which was the problem with grunge almost from the start.

The actual, Mudhoney kind of lofi punk that was the grunge scene wasn't really ever going to make it to the top 40. PS I was a dropout kid in 1989 in Portland, Oregon who saw a lot of "grunge" bands and hung out with an ex-member of Poison Idea (that dude was a drunk!) so I feel I'm on pretty firm ground here.

19. stxrus

stxrus Poster Extraordinaire

In my opinion, not as a player but as an audience member, if the audience doesn’t get up and dance then the bar/club is losing money
    As a player/band member if the audience doesn’t get and dance then we have not done our job

SRHmusic likes this.
  20. Torren61

Torren61 Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Uh... ok. :)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.