It Seems Like Photos Posted Online Degrade Over Time?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Bones, Aug 28, 2019.

1. Bones

Bones Telefied Ad Free Member

I pretty decent with a camera and I'm OK in post and getting my photos to look good on Facebook or here while keeping the files relatively reasonable in size.

Lately I have been noticing that when Facebook for example creates a post saying " 3 ears ago today, here's what you were doing", the image quality is below what I would post by a long shot.

Do these photos get more compressed and crappier in quality over time in storage on the innernets?

2. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

For the specific example of facebook they heavily heavily compress your photo when it gets uploaded.

They used to have an option for an HD upload, but that was still massively compressed even though it was better. It's understandable when you consider how many people's photos they are accumulating.

When you quit FB they have an option to download all your stuff. It is hilarious to download your stuff and see what they did to the photos & videos.

I have no idea what they're doing now, I deleted my account in 2017.

When I wanted to share photos on FB that I took with nice cameras I would upload them to my smugmug page and then share the link on facebook rather than uploading the pictures to FB.

FB in the fine print takes some ownership of your photos too.. if you upload them you agree to give up some of your rights to the photo IIRC. For serious photography I don't see how that's desirable.

FloInPA likes this.
  3. Bones

I know they compress them when you upload them and account for that but they seem to look worse over time and yeah it's not ideal and I never post anything that may have actual value to me, but they always seem to look decent until they pop back up some years later and then they look like garbage.

4. bdkphoto

bdkphoto Tele-Meister

When you get the "You Posted this 2 years-- ago share it again" message from FB the image is softened so the type reads better. The actual image you uploaded remains unchanged.

5. TeleTex82

TeleTex82 Friend of Leo's

Maybe as mobile phone camera technology advances our eyes get more used to the better resolution of the pics we take and view every day so when we look at old pictures they seem crappier than what our eyes are now used to?

6. Intubator

Intubator Tele-Meister

Bawlmer, MD- Home of the "Mayor Shuffle"...
    Cataracts?... LOL.. Yeah they probably pull MB's out of them to save memory and they get grainier as a result.

7. Bones

I don't generally take cell phone pics, most of my photos for the last 10 years or so have been taken with 24MP DSLRs.

8. TeleTex82

TeleTex82 Friend of Leo's

Oh that's right, duh!

9. geoff_in_nc

geoff_in_nc Friend of Leo's

It wouldn't surprise me if they had "tiers"of quality related to how often (they predict) a pic gets accessed... So the older they are the worse they're compressed to save them storage space (and $$).

10. Boubou

Boubou Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

I thought Facebook itself was degrading

RetroTeleRod and Bones like this.
  11. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

As I tell my wife, "it is just 1's and 0's". So, don't worry, be happy.

12. unixfish

unixfish Poster Extraordinaire

This. As they age and are no longer viewed, they are compressed more and more. The original may still be full quality, but the "This was your site x years ago!" is compressed even further.

My understanding - $0.02 and all that.

13. nvilletele

nvilletele Friend of Leo's

The problem with digital photos degrading over time is related to byte aging.

They get progressively old and deformed, though slowly.

The bytes age bit by bit.

14. magicfingers99

magicfingers99 Friend of Leo's

Photon degradation due to electron spin down, its pretty common. Its why all the older photographs are black and white and eventually become sepia. the RGB photons have the highest spin rates and the drop to a lower quantam orbital state is easiest to see over time.

check out alot of photos from the 1980s and you'll see a lot of pastel colors, they didn't really even actually have pastel back then but as the electron fields collapse, the color shift becomes evident.

nothing you can really do without a particle accelrator and some super computers, unless you got a buddy at CERN, you just have to learn to deal with it.

Manual Slim likes this.
  15. magicfingers99

the ones will eventually degrade to zero, its the 2nd law of thermodynamics. Could have avoided it or slowed it down by using 3s and zero, but no, they wanted to save space..

Bill gates - "nobody will ever need more than 256kb of memory...." smartest man in the world locked his keys in his car....

16. magicfingers99

where do you get film for that, mines just sitting around waiting for a new roll of film...

17. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

People pay for relic'd guitars, but moan with a free service to relic their photos. Modelling amps are OK, but auto-modelling of 110 or disc format isn't?.

The world is mad.

Boubou and Bones like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.