It seems Gibson is ready to erase bad memories with their newest employee

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Blazer, Mar 10, 2019.

1. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

It has nothing to do with whether it's jeans or guitars; there is a correct way to run a manufacturing business and it doesn't matter if it's shoes, jeans, guitars, or anything else.

I agree that the early 90's Gibsons were very very good. I had a '92 Les Paul Standard that I badly regret selling to this day.

Flakey and ben smith like this.
  2. Flakey

Flakey Friend of Leo's

Planks with sticks bolted or glued in. I'll be impressed when they can make a decent L5 or Super 400 again.

Mr_Martin likes this.
  3. bigbean

bigbean Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

How about a “Henry’sGonzo” model les Paul Limited edition series of 999 only with a case lining made from “Mom” jeans fabric? Free sack of robotuner parts as case candy included.

Too harsh?

Maybe, Maybe not.

Flakey likes this.
  4. Geoff738

Geoff738 Poster Extraordinaire

I vote not.

Cheers,
    Geoff

Flakey likes this.
  5. Owenmoney

Owenmoney Tele-Afflicted

Good point, but I believe both Gibson and Fender have been marketing vintage reissues for years, I think they need to realize that quite frankly these instruments don’t need to be more expensive than their other models. Vintage correct shouldn’t have to mean exhoritantly priced. They all use the same basic ingredients. Bodies,necks, pickups, electronics and strings. I wonder if people could buy vintage spec instruments for the same price as an American standard Tele or Les Paul Standard 2019 versions how well would they sell?

6. WetBandit

WetBandit Friend of Leo's

I think they own Kramer don't they? Would be a perfect test bed imo... people kind of expect wild and wonky stuff from Kramer I think lol.

My 86' Kramer is a thing of beauty.

Chunkocaster likes this.
  7. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I bought a new Kramer Striker? in around 86. Single humbucker with a volume no tone control. It was a nice guitar. Not as nice a player and the mij contemporary strat that replaced it but still nice. Not sure if Gibson still own Kramer or not today? I think I do remember hearing they bought it though.

8. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

Thanks for that video Dave.

It sounds like Gibson has a new and previously successful business manager who has his head screwed on straight. That's a good thing.

I respect that this is a Fender forum but Gibson is still a USA guitar brand that is sought after all over the world. I hate to see and USA/American Treasure slide as far and get as strange as Gibson did under Henry.

9. D_W_PGH

D_W_PGH Friend of Leo's

Me, too, on that last sentence. I was kind of hoping they'd go bankrupt and get dissolved so that someone who wanted to start a business from fresh could take all of their designs and rights and not have the giant ball and chain of the legacy business around them. I think it would've created a better scenario for the brand in the long term. Rightful ownership of someone holding a lot of debt seems to me to give the brand holder incentive to try to squeeze blood from a stone.

10. D_W_PGH

D_W_PGH Friend of Leo's

I doubt that's changed at this point. Time will tell. The CEOs will probably be more like puppet dictators than enthusiasts, though. "The bank" in this case will be calling the shots, and not out of love for the business.

One of the woodworking magazine groups just filed for bankruptcy recently (F&W media). They had a decent magazine, but at some point, the grandkids of the original private founders decided they didn't want the business and sold it to someone similar to KKR (not sure how big the group was, but same premise). They lost the love of the topical material and ran the publication into the ground. Woodworking is one of the strange areas where people still buy a whole bunch of printed magazines or digital subscriptions because there's a huge inflow of new hobbyists who don't want to navigate the open waters of the internet.

F&W covered other hobbies, too, but I don't know what. There's a very real possibility that Gibson is going to be run like a marketing machine with a hack and slash mentality underneath to get three years of good numbers on the books, and then flipped again to the highest bidder (or part of it) who will also then have a big loan or spend to work against.

I think it's toast. It's too bad that the brand is so strong that a similar type of company can't pop up and operate without the burden. Without the gibson on the peghead, it doesn't matter that much how great a similar competing guitar would be, it'll be destined to the same kind of thing as a dearmond M-75T (a great guitar with expensive pickups and a good bigsby copy on it, great workmanship, and a princely used value in mint condition of about $375).

we'll all be chasing the past with them, I guess - because we haven't seen any evidence that Gibson knows how to market anything that wasn't designed 50 years ago. They're typecast.

11. D_W_PGH

D_W_PGH Friend of Leo's

And I bought two gibson guitars this week, one new and one used, but I've wised up about buying any of their mid level stuff that's marketed as premium (like les paul standards, etc).

Flakey likes this.
  12. WetBandit

That's ironic... cause that's what I have is an 86' Stryker 600st...

Great neck and pickups... everything else is pretty much junk on it... but the neck and pickups are about all that matters to me anyway.

The tuners are ok, but it has a locking nut so stability isn't an issue regardless.

If Gibson still do in fact own Kramer, I vote they try all the "experimental" stuff out there, I mean that's kinda what people would expect from Kramer anyway.

Gibson outta just make a mass survey and do what the majority want... and we already know what that is.

They still aren't making the LP I want... so until they do I wont be a customer.

Chunkocaster likes this.
  13. D_W_PGH

D_W_PGH Friend of Leo's

By the way, to the comment above, what's wrong with the current L-5s and Super 400s? I'd like to build a guitar of that style rather than buy one, but Gibson ought to have a pretty good wood library and slick setups to carve the tops well.

14. Flakey

Flakey Friend of Leo's

They have the materials but not the talent !!!! If you have the skills, tools, and construction knowledge to build a fine archtop then go for it. But I can tell you, their are many who think they can but few actually do.

15. D_W_PGH

D_W_PGH Friend of Leo's

I can do it. I have access to a world class builder and his materials (if necessary, but I've done some tracking down of my own already so that I don't have to mooch on his stuff). I don't think it's economically worth it (OK, it's not...it isn't a matter of i don't think, it isn't economically viable), but I'm looking for a challenge and I work almost entirely by hand.

The first one won't be world class, that's just reality. I've learned from toolmaking that the first one, I will learn what I'll do the most wrong. The second one will be decent (here is my second telecaster) and by number 7 or so, I'll have the details just the way I want them on the whole thing. That'll take years, but it will be sublime long-hour hand work that's not rushed - and I really dig that kind of stuff.

The toolmaking thing is a boon, because you never get stuck pondering where you can find a tool like you're thinking about for a given purpose.

It's unlikely that I'll be able to build a guitar that is more resonant and clear and wide ranging than the 910ce natural mentioned above. the other 910 that I tracked down is sunburst, and even though it's the same model from the same time period. it's not in a similar class (still a great guitar, and in an amplifier, probably no difference between the two - but acoustic, worlds).

I will probably copy the 910ce natural, which makes it even more of a waste of time.

16. warrent

warrent Friend of Leo's

17. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

I never understood the "purist"opposition to Robo Tuners. Honestly, I can't think of a more useful piece of equipment for use in an actual gig environment. Someone once commented, "They'd be fine if Gibson didn't force us to have them..." Force you??? That's like being "forced" to own a dishwasher instead of washing them by hand. Come on... how can automated tuners possibly be a bad thing? "But, those weren't on the classic Les Pauls..." Heck, the "classic" Les Pauls weren't made in Nashville, yet here we are buying Les Pauls made in Nashville, worrying about tuners that weren't made in 1958.

18. Chunkocaster

I can't remember if mine was a 600st or not but that sounds familiar. It was a cool dark blue metallic color with a rosewood board and a Floyd rose trem. Painted headstock with Kramer in gold logo. I think they came out in the metallic dark blue and metallic red back then. Had a etched neck plate with Kramer made in usa, Neptune? written on it.

edit, seems it might have been a 100st, found a pic of one similar. Could have been in 84,85 too. Someone must have fitted that emg.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 13, 2019
    bftfender likes this.
  19. WetBandit

Yup, this is mine.

20180426_192045.jpg

bftfender and Chunkocaster like this.
  20. Chunkocaster

I remember playing that model back then too. I had to go with the single humbucker because it was the cheapest way to get a decent striker. Being a EVH fan back then helped too. Yours look in great condition still, cool looking guitars.

WetBandit likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.