It seems Gibson is ready to erase bad memories with their newest employee

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Blazer, Mar 10, 2019.

1. Blazer

Blazer Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I must hand it to Gibson, with a new management they got their act together and stopped releasing guitars which have no market value...
    [​IMG]

And it would appear that to make SURE that they don't get temped to do anything like that again, they've hired somebody who's well aware of what a proper Gibson should be.

Good call on them, but with Mark joining the fold that sadly also means that Norm's guitars is now without a host for "guitar of the day" so they're hiring.

2. Owenmoney

Owenmoney Tele-Afflicted

My son and I both enjoy Mark on GOTD, he’s very knowledgeable and if Gibson listens to him they might really turn themselves around.

dodona and studio1087 like this.
  3. HoodieMcFoodie

HoodieMcFoodie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

4. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

You mean they finally got a new gruel maker for the canteen?..... I'll bet the staff will be happier now...:lol:

Tonetele, GibbyTwin and nojazzhere like this.
  5. Blazer

Blazer Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

6. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Tele-Afflicted

They could listen to him and the many other Gibson experts already for free. But that would be a mistake for two reasons. First, you can't build (and sell) vintage instruments, and second, it wasn't their guitar business that was a failure. Guitar sales have been profitable for decades.

kelnet, Owenmoney, TigerG and 3 others like this.
  7. Matthias

Matthias Friend of Leo's

TBH, I’m not against innovation and new designs. However, they need to look aesthetically pleasing. Take things like the Parker Fly and the Roswell Rhoads... Warwick basses... Old designs now, but they broke from the 50s/60s aesthetic while being attractive. I’d name more recent ones, but everyone seems on a nostalgia kick these days.

8. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I've never once watched a video put out by Gibson or Fender unless it was a interview with a musician I like, maybe demoing a signature model. Warren Haynes es335, Sig les paul etc.
    Is his role in designing the new product line or just coming up with a way to sell it to the people?

I guess we will get to see a new vintage burst finished fireturd?

Maybe a reliced fireturd that looks like it's lived a hard life on the road and played in smokey bars since 2010?

Last edited: Mar 10, 2019
  9. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I don't think people were pissed off because of one model.

I mean imagine this.

Fender. OMG. OMFG! OMFG! Fedner sukcs!
    [​IMG]

10. Matthias

Matthias Friend of Leo's

@radiocaster haha! I had one of those “beauties”. Got sold for an SG :D

11. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

If I were Norm, I wouldn't rush to replace Mark too fast....my bet is he'll be back in under a year. You read it here first, folks!;)

12. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

My feeling perzactly!

Greggorios likes this.
  13. Chunkocaster

If people want a purple or green guitar, computers or joysticks attached to them they generally look to a different brand than Gibson. Gibson are for the guy that loves traditional style guitars. Trying to compete with Dean or Ibanez and inventing space aged guitars is a waste of time for Gibson imo. If they want to play that game then they would be better off coming up with a second brand name that's not associated with Gibson.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 10, 2019
    Fercho and GibbyTwin like this.
  14. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I watched a somewhat recent video of Mark espousing all the great Gibson stuff. I thought to myself that comes off sounding like a shill for Gibson. Turns out I'm right.

I like Mark & sad to see him go. Fretted Americana lost Phil & that Jared guy is a bore.

Chunkocaster likes this.
  15. L.A. Mike

L.A. Mike Tele-Afflicted

Gibson made the typical mistake: successful company with money in the bank wants to get bigger, so they buy a bunch of struggling companies hoping to turn them profitable.
    I don't understand why a company like Gibson who's bread and butter is selling sub $2500 guitars would be interested in Norm's protégé unless it is to market their historic line. Which is obviously a more refined and smaller customer base. The majority of Gibson's customers aren't shelling out $4000 to $10,000 for a guitar.
    This may be the new CEO's first blunder. Historic models are a limited market. Cater to it but don't try to expand upon it. Keep your eyes on what made you successful. Guitars for working players and hobbyists.

Fercho, Tonetele and DHart like this.
  16. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

The new Gibson CEO's mode of operation, which he's put in old videos at Levi/etc, is 'digging in to a company's history and producing products from when they sold the most units'. So I'm expecting a huge wave of SGs because they outsold LPs in the 60s. Will the Norlin models return? While despised, I suspect many units were moved to satisfy the growing Baby Boomer interest in being in a rock band.

Part of this Gibson hiring from Norm's is the historic instrument angle, but also the twin benefits of real customer sales interaction (not listening to a group of internal sales people used to selling to dealers) and the youtube marketing angle.

Owenmoney likes this.
  17. Billnchristy

Billnchristy Tele-Afflicted

This has nothing to do with norms and vintage guitars and has everything to do with mark.

18. Chunkocaster

Gibson should do a road tour with pole dancers, free concerts, beach parties with giveaways etc. Live stream it on YouTube. That would increase sales and expand their profile/market.
    Throw a decent band together and tour the schools to get younger people interested in buying their guitars.

LocoTex, Greggorios and String Tree like this.
  19. Dog Bite

Dog Bite TDPRI Member

You can make some of the people happy all of the time and all of the people happy some of the time but you can't make all of the people happy all of the time :)

Wildcard_35, Tonetele and LocoTex like this.
  20. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I'd say probably a bit of both. After 10 years of selling vintage stuff, Mark has a really good idea of what would sell to that market segment, and what aspects of vintage gear would appeal to people buying new stuff.

On this forum, people always ask 'Why doesn't Gibson bring back [insert favorite old Gibson here]?' I think Mark will have a lot of say in which guitars are reissued, and maybe which cool features from the old stuff get rolled into new releases.

- D

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.