1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

It looks like next Monday will be a NGD.

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by John Backlund, Sep 10, 2020.

1. John Backlund

John Backlund Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Eastwood is sending me a metallic blue/cream Rockerbox bass. I don't currently own a bass, so it will be a welcome addition to my guitar arsenal.
    Screenshot_20200910-115304~2.png

It's a fitting companion instrument to my other two Rockerbox six-strings, and is in a color I didn't have for that series....
    IMG_20200627_105025566.jpg

Sooner or later, I want to add a model 100 bass to my collection too, maybe this winter....
    Screenshot_20200910-121049~2.png

Last edited: Sep 10, 2020
    G-52, glenlivet, Asmith and 22 others like this.
  2. johnny k

johnny k Poster Extraordinaire

sooner or later you will have the biggest backlund guitar collection in the universe !

Deathray, Fretting out and tubegeek like this.
  3. John Backlund

I'm quite certain that I already have THE largest and most comprehensive privately held collection of Backlund guitars in existence.

That, and four dollars, will probably get me a cup of coffee at Starbucks.

Someday, I might turn our backyard shed into the 'Museum of Backlund Guitars', and charge visitors a couple of edible canned goods to 'tour' the collection. I should probably buy another shed to serve as the 'Gift Shoppe' to funnel my admirers through as they exit the museum shed, where I could shill Backlund guitar beer cozies and model 100 refrigerator magnets, etc.

G-52, Asmith, 39martind18 and 9 others like this.
  4. johnny k

johnny k Poster Extraordinaire

And that t shirt with the space girl and the space cat.
    edit Do you think it would be possible for you to make them avaible to peasants like us ?

5. Fretting out

Fretting out Poster Extraordinaire

I’d buy a Backlund guitars shirt

I’d want it to have a picture of his bus on the back

rangercaster, Deathray, Dan R and 2 others like this.
  6. John Backlund

I'm not sure, I'm a bit concerned that I might actually make a buck or two selling stuff like that, and God knows, I don't know if I could withstand the shock of such a life-changing development.

;)

7. John Backlund

The 'bus thing' is probably over. My DOT medical expires on the 12th of this month, and I'll be damned if I am going to put out $135 of my money to accommodate a bus company that has had me drive one time in the past six months.

At least I won't have to pay sh#t for income taxes next year. :)

8. Fretting out

Fretting out Poster Extraordinaire

Just remember if you plan on ever using a CDL it’s easier to get the physical and maintain it, once it lapses you have to go through all the b.s again to get it

My father has a cdl and rarely uses it but keeps it up because he says it would be a hassle to get it back and would rather just pay the 80 dollar physical fee

And when he got a cdl when he was 18 he accidentally got a higher rating for tractor trailer and he told the guy at the dmv that it was messed up and he was only supposed to be rated for dump trucks etc. the dmv guy said “well that’s what you got”

Deathray likes this.
  9. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

The Eastwood Backlund guitars are very well made ...

Mine is ...

10. ZenGuitarist

ZenGuitarist Tele-Afflicted

John, I love your designs and whenever I see one I get an attack of GAS. When I saw this beauty on Eastwood's site I simply couldn't resist ordering one:

Backlund1_Reduced.jpg

It will probably take a couple of weeks for it to make its way to my door. It's going to be a long couple of weeks.

11. Deathray

Deathray Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

With, or without a bus, I want one!

I think the level of interest in Backlund Guitars t-shirts has now reached the level of Clamoring.
    You hear that, John?...Clamoring :D

12. John Backlund

Nice!

Here's a little 'heads up' concerning the rotary pickup selector switch used on that model, be gentle with it, as some have come loose from inside the guitar and the entire switch would just spin in it's hole, making it impossible to select pickups, and I hear that they're a bee-otch to access and re-tighten back up.

My red/cream Rockerbox suffered this little 'snafu', and I haven't taken it in to a tech yet to have it repaired.

UK guitarist Bill Nelson's three-pup Rockerbox did the same thing.

ZenGuitarist likes this.
  13. ZenGuitarist

John, thanks for the heads up - I'll check the rotary switch when the guitar arrives.

Bill Nelson owns one? That's pretty cool. I was a big fan of Be-Bop Deluxe back in the 70s.

I gotta admit I'm really excited that I'm finally going to own one of your designs. :cool:

rangercaster and John Backlund like this.
  14. John Backlund

The deal with shirts, is that I can't charge enough for them to be worth doing.

I have a natural aversion towards buying t-shirts that cost over $12, and wouldn't ask others to pay more either. Actually, I don't think I've bought, or worn, a t-shirt myself in over a decade.

It would probably cost me up to $15 each just to have a small, and affordable to me, batch of a couple dozen of them made up.

Shipping would probably add another $5 to the cost, so from the buying end of it, we're up to around $20 retail just to break even.

I know some other shirt sellers do it, but I don't have the balls to demand $25+ for something like a printed T-shirt.

Deathray likes this.
  15. ZenGuitarist

John, do you know if Eastwood is planning to bring back the model 100 bass? I tried searching for it on their site but got a 404 page. BTW, I love their 404 page:

Eastwood_404_Reduced.jpg

John Backlund likes this.
  16. John Backlund

I can't speak for Eastwood, but I highly doubt that they will build more of either the 100 or Rockerbox bass guitars. They don't sell in enough numbers to justify the costs to make and market them.

I think there's a few new ones on eBay and also Reverb, but they're all full-price from what I can see. Used examples of those guitars are bound to pop up now and then, however.

ZenGuitarist likes this.
  17. ZenGuitarist

Thanks John, I'll keep my eyes open for one. Right now there's only one I can find that the seller will ship to Canada but it's a red one. I would prefer a blue one.

18. Deathray

Deathray Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Alright, I stop harassing you about it:p.
    But have you seen what Fender, and Gibson charge for some of their T-shirts?
    I can speak from experience, that some of the Fender shirts I’ve bought were beyond cheap, quality wise.
    A bada$$, rare as hen’s teeth, Backlund Guitars shirt could sell for $29.50 very easily.
    Ok...now I’ll quit harassing you about it:D

19. hemingway

hemingway Poster Extraordinaire

If you sell enough t-shirts people are going to start wanting the guitars again . . .

tintag27 likes this.
  20. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

ZenGuitarist likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.