1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

It looks like Classictone may be comming back

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by Viejo, Mar 19, 2021.

1. Viejo

Viejo Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

2. corliss1

corliss1 Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm

3. jman72

jman72 Tele-Afflicted

USA Classic (TM) line of transformers. Made in Chicago, using the time honored paper layer wound methods, materials & specs you depend on!

Is this the Classictone brand re-named, but made to the same specs in the same factory? That would be nice.

4. dogmeat

dogmeat Friend of Leo's

:):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

YAY! love their stuff!!!

5. corliss1

corliss1 Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

That's what it sounds like, but I'd like to hear more before getting super excited.

6. Phrygian77

Phrygian77 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

But, Triode? Does anyone still order from them? They had a pretty bad reputation for awhile.

XTRXTR likes this.
  7. dkevin

dkevin Tele-Meister

I have ordered from them. Yes, sometimes there were issues that confounded me. But in the end, I received everything I ordered and would order from them again in the future. And would I celebrate the return of Magnetic Components and their fine line of transformers??? You Betcha!

Paul G. likes this.
  8. Nickfl

Nickfl Friend of Leo's

Some speculation and rumors on an amp garage thread: https://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=34320

if Triode has anything to do with actually making the transformers that would be a strike against it in my book. It's hard to imagine anybody with a website that bad would have their **** together enough to make a decent transformer...

Phrygian77, James Knox and Milspec like this.
  9. Phrygian77

@Nickfl Hoffman's site isn't great either, but that's because I'm pretty sure he built and maintains it himself. He been on the web more than 20 years, I believe.

corliss1 likes this.
  10. Engine Swap

Engine Swap Tele-Afflicted

Triode used to have a storefront on Irving Park, back in the "Uncle Ned" days. Been closed for a long time, but still a lot if stuff in the place last time I was in that part of the city.

11. The Ballzz

The Ballzz Tele-Afflicted

All the USA CLASSIC units use the same part numbers as Magnetic Components/Classic Tone and when you click for specs, it opens a MC/CT spec sheet! I noticed this last week. I was at the ClassicTone website for reference purposes and decided to check the link to Triode USA and found many clues and posted them here and elsewhere. I have not noted much interest over at the Marshall forum! It is nice that the ClassicTone website is still up for reference.
    Just Noticin'
    Gene

sds1 and XTRXTR like this.
  12. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

I haven't bought from Triode for a while but everything I did always turned up here to Oz, they're not the cheapest

I don't think this Classictone per se, they used to sell their own brand a while ago. I think they stopped when Classictone fired up. Could even be the same source, I had one of their 5E3 pts, did what it was supposed to and sure looked vintage in detail.

13. XTRXTR

XTRXTR Tele-Meister

I kindof agree. However the people that are making the product are rarely anything to do with the front end. It is important to have good customer service. Maybe the front office will be getting an upgrade as well. If they think not addressing their mishaps is okay then this is a doomed product line.

14. Muzzy

Muzzy TDPRI Member

Classictone is great, Triode, not so much.

15. King Fan

King Fan Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

All good points. Hopeful? Yes.

Item: the super-handy old CT website may be starting to die — looking up an OT yesterday, the spec sheet had disappeared (as of now, you could still find it on TubeDepot, but the OT itself was listed as 'not currently for sale.' Hmmm, ‘currently'?)

Also, don’t overlook the fact that CT's other retail supplier, Amp Parts Direct, who had good service, have now commissioned clones of quite a few CT xfmrs from either Heyboer ($$) or MM ($$$$).

Early days, I’ll wait and see how both projects pan out.

16. Phrygian77

A lot of those Heyboers from Amp Parts Direct are open frame, at least they appear to be, where the originals were not.

17. King Fan

King Fan Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Yeah, just at a glance, the OTs and chokes? Also, I haven't gone through the list (their parts numbers are also kind of clones of CT's, eg, 40-18019 becomes APD-8019H) but there must be quite a few CTs they aren't cloning, at least in the Heyboer line. The fact it's a small, new project may be best reflected in some of the Heyboer spec sheets, which at present look like this. As I say, it's early days; I'll stay hopeful but waitful.

upload_2021-3-23_8-57-8.jpeg

18. sds1

sds1 Tele-Afflicted

I noticed all the same things today!

I should have downloaded all those datasheets, I constantly refer to them for standard cutout sizes etc. They are nice datasheets.

gnrecordings and Phrygian77 like this.
  19. Phrygian77

I have a bunch of them offline, not all of them though.

20. _Steve

_Steve TDPRI Member

Oh no. I have been meaning to download their spec sheets for a while anticipating this might happen. Looks like I wasn't quick enough.

I've been super happy with every CT tranny ive used. I think their low-price perception clouded the judgement of some of the snake-oil chasers out there.

King Fan likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.