It just hit me...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Jakedog, May 11, 2020.

1. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

That I don’t play electric guitar with a pick any longer. I’m not even sure how it happened. I was just sitting here watching TV and noodling, and it occurred to me that I haven’t used a pick in forever. I was always kinda hybrid style, playing with a pick and middle finger. But now everything is all thumb and fingers. I don’t remember the last time I used a pick on my electric. I’ll bet it’s been over a month.

So I pulled a pick out of my pocket and tried it. Not only do I suck at it, but it sounds awful!

Oddly, I still totally need it to play acoustic...

2. RetroTeleRod

RetroTeleRod Poster Extraordinaire

Works for Lindsey Buckingham. :)

radiocaster, DonM, Jakedog and 3 others like this.
  3. unixfish

unixfish Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I do that a bit - but not much. I tend to use my index fingernail like a pick - but much playing like that and it would be worn off.

I never really learned to fingerpick. I probably should. Right after I learn to play better. :lol:

carpenter and Jakedog like this.
  4. Bluego1

Bluego1 Tele-Afflicted

If it wouldn’t invalidate my 4-figure pick collection I’d give it a shot;).
    Actually, I’ve been using a couple picks from specialty makers that are smaller than a Jazz III. Man, I’m close to the strings, but I’m really starting to dig it. Feels like I’m cheating almost; I can imagine going to fingers. I’ve actually dabbled a bit.

carpenter, Jakedog and stormsedge like this.
  5. Danb541

Danb541 Tele-Afflicted

Jakedog Knofler

Matt G, Jakedog, djh22 and 1 other person like this.
  6. lammie200

lammie200 Friend of Leo's

I have saved myself a tremendous amount of money not having to buy picks since I began playing guitar in my mid teens. :)

Jakedog likes this.
  7. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

Have you gigged without a pick? I ask because 1) hardly any of us have gigged in the timeframe you mention, and 2) that's where the real test is, I think

as an aside, i know that under normal circumstances, the answer would be "well, of course I have, duh"

Jakedog, drlucky and nojazzhere like this.
  8. stxrus

stxrus Poster Extraordinaire

I've tried it a few times but I really a pick. A really heavy pick - V-Pick Screamer

Bluego1 likes this.
  9. Sneaks

Sneaks TDPRI Member

I too have ended up in the same boat over the last couple of years. It started out hybrid picking "Sultans of Swing" and kind of "progressed" from there. I found the tone so much better and controllable that before long the sound of a pick was thin and nasally to my ears. That's the hard part when you try to describe the tones you may be seeking. It's a whole different sound/level of attack etc. I realize that my homegrown version of attempted hybrid picking is rudimentary at best, but you can still pull off some new and interesting licks once you get into it a bit. When I did use a pick solely, I would choke way up on it with just the very edge protruding and it was kind of a half index fingernail/half pick approach. I still have no problem utilizing the nail tip when needed and only reach for a pick when I need it for the really heavier, faster "brootz" (which I rarely play any more) rhythms. Still fun to see the local Guitar Center "assistant's" faces when they try to offer me a pick to try out a guitar and I politely decline. Unlike you, I started the no pick approach on acoustic years before even considering or trying it on electric.

Matt G, Churchjack, carpenter and 3 others like this.
  10. Bruxist

Bruxist Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Same. Stopped when my kids were little and I was worried about having the choking hazards around.

But I am equally bad with fingers or a pick and possibly with my toes.

11. Sneaks

Sneaks TDPRI Member

…..and Ritchie Kotzen, Mark Knopfler….oh oh oh...let us not forget the "esteemed" Mr. Steven Seagal :lol: Not mocking his guitar playing abilities, just him in general :rolleyes:

smsuryan, DonM, boredguy6060 and 2 others like this.
  12. Skub

Skub Poster Extraordinaire

Same thing happened me loads of years ago. The biggest bother I found was my nails didn't stand up to gigging. They split,wore away and generally didn't stick the pace,so at the start I had to keep a plectrum as the reserve team!

Eventually I settled on painting several layers of acrylic over my nails and this worked well most times,except when a string sometimes went behind the nail and wheeked it off mid song! :eek:

I don't gig any longer,but my nails are still crap,so I use tissue paper and superglue like you would working with fibreglass.

Because I have nails,I have to use a pick for bass,so all the purists can shoot me now! :p

Matt G and Jakedog like this.
  13. tery

tery Doctor of Teleocity

Nobody has ever dropped a finger on a dark stage .

elihu, Sneaks, PhredE and 2 others like this.
  14. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

check it

posttoastie, Jakedog and Bruxist like this.
  15. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

On a possibly related subject.....aren't you a vocalist, as well as guitar player, Jakedog? The voice is something that has to be kept in shape, like any muscle. I've always been a "lead" vocalist, even when I had a "singer/frontman"........but I sang while playing at home the other day, and I'm WAY out of shape. Not gigging is hurting my vocal performance, and I bet many of you guys as well. I'm gonna start singing more, just to be ready for coming days.

GibbyTwin, Jakedog and Skub like this.
  16. Skub

Skub Poster Extraordinaire

I have lost a nail though! Oh the drama. :lol:

Sneaks, PhredE, Jakedog and 2 others like this.
  17. 1293

1293 Poster Extraordinaire

I just bought 2 dozen picks. Already lost 23 of them. I'll be back to pickless tomorrow.

nojazzhere, Jakedog and tery like this.
  18. tah1962

tah1962 Friend of Leo's

Here’s another NO PICK player. :) Andy Martin.

upload_2020-5-11_16-34-20.jpeg

19. Lobomov

Lobomov Friend of Leo's

OK .. ??

Wouldn't be my first choice :D

Sneaks, Jakedog, JL_LI and 1 other person like this.
  20. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

Maybe 8 years ago I decided to try to teach myself finger picking. I started with one song. I added another and another until I could play almost everything finger style. As I added more songs, my finger style improved and began to branch into a number of finger styleS. I’m using my thumb for jazz now and can manage 16th note triplets, something I could never do with a pick. I use thumb nail upstrokes to kick up a little dirt. All in all, I’d say I’m a finger style player. Still, there are five songs where I really like the tone and attack I get from a pick. I can play them finger style and would if I were in GC, but fingers and picks are tools in the kit with fingers having one distinct advantage. I’ve never dropped one in the middle of a solo. :lol:

Last edited: May 11, 2020
    carpenter and Jakedog like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.