It happened again... NAD!

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Minivan Megafun, Mar 20, 2020.

1. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

So this is the "low-power tweed twin"? How many watts are these? And what is a tube cage? (picture would help)

2. rickthescot

rickthescot Tele-Holic

Don't forget yer earplugs, cause I am quite certain you will get carried away with this one. Congrats.

3. Ess Eff

Ess Eff Tele-Holic

Congrats... they're great amps.
    IMG_20200216_131935.jpg
    IMG_20200216_132636.jpg

Tim S likes this.
  4. Deathray

Deathray Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Sweeeet! HNAD!!

5. Flaneur

Flaneur Friend of Leo's

Woah!

Turn it UP!

:cool:

6. Minivan Megafun

Minivan Megafun Tele-Holic

It's the metal cage that Fender has started putting on the back of their tube amps starting around 10 years ago. Even the vintage reissue amps have them. Updates for safety reasons I guess since they're 60 year old designs.

[​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

7. Minivan Megafun

Oh, and yes this is the low power Twin. 40 watts.

I've turned it up and honestly my Bassman is probably louder. Don't get me wrong, it's still friggin loud!

8. Alamo

Alamo Doctor of Teleocity

Pefect for stacking your CDs in the bookshelf :D

Congrats on the Twin, envy ensured.
    one of these days I hope I can afford one too.

Minivan Megafun likes this.
  9. Chicago Matt

Chicago Matt Friend of Leo's

FWIW, These amps sound beautiful with the 6L6GE power tubes and 12AX7 preamp tubes they come with. But I like to experiment (old with more time on my hands :)). I prefer mine with 12AY7 tubes in the first three slots. The lower gain 12AY7s are what the amp originally had in the 50s. It's easy to try, just plug and play. I like this setup better, especially when cranking the amp into distortion. It even suggests you can do this in the manual. https://www.manualslib.com/manual/239143/Fender-57-Twin.html#manual

If you get more adventurous, you can try 5881 power tubes in place of 6L6s. There is a little less headroom this way, but I don't miss it a bit, and really dig the sound. I'm using current production Tung Sol 5881s. They sound great. But if you want to try this, keep in mind that most 5881 tubes are 23 watts as opposed to 6L6s which are 30 watts. So you need to re-bias the amp for 5881s in this case. Fortunately it's fairly easy to do since there's an internal bias pot - with this disclaimer: You may need to add a resistor to the bias circuit to increase the range of the pot to accomodate both 5881s and 6L6s. I did.

Anyway, enjoy your new amp. Mine is the one I'll never part with.

elihu likes this.
  10. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

congrats. Regarding that mismatch, imho it would be of interest to note the Sonic quality of that mismatch and compare it to a matched situation. Of course, without having the ability to balance that particular pair of tubes one will never know the true difference. This is one reason why I leave the bias balancing act in the vintage Fenders that have it and add a bias voltage adjustment to the balancing act. One can balance mismatched tubes or run a mismatch. Some folks like a mismatch as long as there is no hum present.
    Note that one can pull one of those rectifiers for a different response. This take the 5E7 close to the 5E7 Bandmaster, 5E5A Pro, and 5F4 Supers. These four amps are very similar designs....and yes, they are NOT 5F6A Bassman or 5E8A Twin type of amps.

11. nick0

nick0 Tele-Meister

Congrats on your new amp!:)

12. tah1962

tah1962 Tele-Afflicted

Congrats and enjoy!!

13. Minivan Megafun

Had an interesting weekend. Picked up a few pairs of 6L6's from my amp tech and rolled through a bunch in the amp.
    Vintage Syvanias: Sounded good but had some distorted undertones - was not playing well with this amp.
    TAD: Sounded ok but this pair of tubes had such a low cathode current rating that even with the bias pot maxed out they still would only get to around 32ma.
    JJ: Sounded really good. Had them running around 42ma and they seemed like the ones. That is until I noticed something sounded off when playing today. Checked the back of the amp and the filament on one of them wasn't glowing at all. Tube was cold to the touch. Pulled it, cleaned the contacts, got it working, but could not get the contacts to stay reliably connected. when I pulled it and compared the JJ to the stock Groove Tubes 6L6 I noticed that the pins on the JJ are just a bit narrower. I suspect the tube sockets need to be tightened for the JJ's to be reliable.

So after all that I had no choice but to put the stock GT's back in. And you know what? They sound almost the same as the JJs. There's about 10-11ma difference between the two GT power tubes. Ive got the hot one sitting around 46ma and the other floats around 34-35ma. Thing is, the amp is quiet and hum free. So... I guess I'll just leave them alone.

I did put a trio of TAD 12AY7's in V1, V2, and V3.

14. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Good find on the loose sockets....drain the caps and retension them. And....your GT tubes may in fact be JJs. What is the model code that GT printed on them? Have you compared how they are built?

Alamo likes this.
  15. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

Looks brand new! Congratulations.

16. Minivan Megafun

Update: I emailed Fender with the serial # to get info as to when it was made (the inspection sticker is blank and there's no date stamp). Fender got back to me and this one rolled off the line on Feb 28, 2012. So she's 8 years old.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.