IT gurus, help! Win7 to Win10 conversion

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by geoff_in_nc, Dec 11, 2019.

1. geoff_in_nc

geoff_in_nc Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

My wife runs her own bookkeeping business, and her laptop is on Windows 7. She knows Win7 is losing support (if it hasn't already) and wants to upgrade to Win10. Can an upgrade in place be done and keep her applications and stuff installed, and also keep her data? Her laptop is about 4 years old I think - it's an HP ProBook 440 G2 w/4GB RAM which is probably low for Win10.

EDIT: if it's possible to upgrade, which MS package should be purchased?

Last edited: Dec 11, 2019
  2. vid1900

vid1900 Tele-Meister

3. Smokin OP

Smokin OP Tele-Holic

4. OldDude2

OldDude2 Tele-Holic

NO

I have been doing IT for a very long time, buy yourself a new laptop with Win 10 they're as cheap as Tv's right now unless you have a old high end i5 or i7 processor and 16 Gb of ram or more.

blowtorch, LeftFinger, imwjl and 2 others like this.
  5. geoff_in_nc

She's backed up thru Carbonite I think it is. Bookkeepers losing data is generally frowned upon. :)

She's been considering getting a new laptop, but hasn't committed yet.

blowtorch likes this.
  6. HotRodSteve

HotRodSteve Friend of Leo's

I've been in the IT trenches since 1990 and upgrading an old 4gb ram laptop from win7 to win10 would be my idea of hell. Win10 is a pig of an OS and an old laptop will be painfully slow trying to run it. If she needs windows you're much better off buying a new laptop, unless she can use Linux, which will run nicely on an old laptop.

blowtorch, LeftFinger and jvin248 like this.
  7. Tim G

Tim G Tele-Meister

Windows 10 takes 8mb of ram to run, it will work on 4mb but is painfully slow. I run a bookkeeping, payroll, and tax business. I would suggest that she get a new laptop, Windows 10 Pro, and at least 8mb of ram. Window support stops for Windows 7 on 1/20/2020. All tax software and most bookkeeping software, if she uses the latest version, will no longer work on Windows 7.

ROADMAN likes this.
  8. Peegoo

Peegoo Tele-Holic

Back up all data to *three* separate storage devices before doing the conversion. This Win10 'upgrade' has a history of corrupting even simple flat files.

If I ran a business there would be no way I'd do an OS upgrade. I'd go wholesale: new machine with new OS.

If you're running Win7 the machine is ready for retirement anyway.

blowtorch and LeftFinger like this.
  9. geoff_in_nc

Thanks for the responses folks.... I'm going to push for getting a new laptop.

blowtorch and LeftFinger like this.
  10. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

I'm writing this reply on a machine that was upgraded in place from 7 to 10 with no issues.

More than 4G RAM would be nice though. I'd want to at least double that, if the machine will take it.

vid1900 likes this.
  11. Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog Tele-Afflicted

I don’t know the answer, but if anyone tells you “yes”, I recommend she back everything up anyway.

vid1900 likes this.
  12. buster poser

buster poser Tele-Holic

Haven't supported end users since 2010, but still an IT pro, and still build all the boxes around our house. You're correct, extended support ends 1/14, so no more security updates.

In-place upgrade is possible, but may not work for all applications... you may have to reinstall certain programs. MS's FAQ is really good: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12435/windows-10-upgrade-faq

I agree with the folks who say just get a new laptop, but failing that... at least do a clean install of Windows 10 on the current machine. Back up the data files for the programs she uses, get the serial number and license info together for the bookkeeping program, email, etc., and get the data onto a flash drive or into a service like OneDrive or DropBox. If you can get another 4GB of RAM installed, that would be even better (vid below, it's not hard).

I would say with a new machine, the bulk of the difference you're going to feel is due to the fresh operating system vs any boost from the computing performance gains manufacturers have made since you last purchased. Moore's law died a few years ago, and bookkeeping programs aren't generally resource intensive. ;)

Good luck

13. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

Ya, let her system recognize it and do the upload on its own.
    You might get ready to do your office upgrade at the same time.
    Do not do office 365 or cloud office....keep in on the pc... (IMHO)
    Backup any docs, jpg, mp3, accounting db on backup thumbdrive or something.

Telecastoff1 likes this.
  14. ddewerd

ddewerd Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I second getting the new laptop.

Another thing I found I've found very useful is to use this little utility called Classic Shell.

http://www.classicshell.net/

It makes the Windows 10 Start Menu act like Windows 7 (all the Win10 stuff is still there though). I hate the Win10 interface!

I've worked with Microsoft products both personally and professionally since MS-DOS 1.0 (and even OS/2!). I've always thought Microsoft's idea of a software upgrade was to just move all of the menu items around so you can't find them!

Cheers,
    Doug

geoff_in_nc likes this.
  15. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Poster Extraordinaire

Just in time for Christmas. Get her a new laptop running Windows 10 Pro (not W10 Home).

16. geoff_in_nc

I loved OS/2... Even if it was a little ugly.

uriah1 likes this.
  17. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

Yes on buy new. We're about done with our last 40some Windows 7 replacements. The OP mentioned HP Pro series. We're buying the mini PC versions with 8 GB and 256 SSD for $356. Business class laptops for not much more. COSTCO has Surface Pro 6 down-costed and with keyboard for about $300 savings.

I'm only re-staging existing systems if they are premium models with fast storage. The software license and labor approaches what the "HP smart buy" models are at CDW.

We have around 750 employees so didn't just jump into it without some homework. The business class Dells we tried are fine, Lenovo no longer in same league and HPs have been a pleasant surprise where the price and support have been good.

Consumers should get the business class systems I'm describing and that's what we suggest to employees. For little more you don't get crappy subsidized by software, better support and better systems.

The OP's wife should look at Microsoft Surface line but they're top shelf for everything so won't be as cheap as basic business systems. I use Macs most of the time but I love my Surface and our users love them. I've deployed the tablet types with keyboard cover, the series 2 and 3 laptops, and super premium Surface Book models. No extra crappy software, top quality, super post-sale support.

Good luck.

18. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

Be a real retro man.
    Get GW Basic and some floppies:)

OldDude2 likes this.
  19. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

I thought really ugly but I was polite about it. In the early to late 1990s I shared space with different platform experts who were assigned to corporate projects or corporations. I was Cisco certified dude in the UNIX, Apple and networking camp. then I got assigned to what we know as e-commerce. Being in that group we could see a lot of places where coffins would be nailed shut.

I was the laughing stock of NT certification class when I didn't know the registry and my slashes faced the wrong way.

:)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.