1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

It followed me home....really!

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by RollingBender, Jul 19, 2020.

1. RollingBender

RollingBender Tele-Afflicted Vendor Member

B3 style legs/base coming along. I’m grafting a piece of the cut off cabinet on the front sides to get rid of M3 step.
    6E65F4F8-986E-48FB-875F-9CFEB17BABFF.jpeg

No self respecting Hammond can be without a proper Leslie. I have several of those on-board Leslie units which I have salvaged from various organs over the years. One will be used for the low speaker and modified to fit a 12” speaker. The motor from another unit will be used to drive this at head-spinning speed...
    ECF49093-8C01-4BC6-8D12-60A616F9E374.jpeg

I modeled this and a buddy of mine printed it on his 3D printer.

tubegeek, Henley and Mexitele Blues like this.
  2. printer2

printer2 Poster Extraordinaire

You have too much time on your hands.

D'tar likes this.
  3. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

Neato. An M3 would be just the ticket to go with that Leslie 122 sitting in my laundry room.

tubegeek likes this.
  4. RollingBender

The pieces and parts for the Leslie build have mostly arrived. Crossover, AC motor speed controls to set high and low speeds for the single speed motors and a solid state amp. I thought I was being smart and I ordered a plate amp ( like what is mounted in the back of your powered PA speakers ), 150 watts RMS with 3 band EQ. It is not up to the task.

I have made a line out from the Hammond, similar to RobRob’s line out mod and placed a dummy load in the new circuit also. I’ve been running it through a few guitar pedals, into my 18watt Marshall clone head and then into my homemade Vibratone. The Marshall does a good job and it gets pretty loud but it could use a few more clean watts. I think I may build something with a simple preamp and 4-EL84 tubes as a 36watt amp for the new Leslie. I have the iron, tubes, sockets, etc... laying around so I should be able to slap something together.

Here’s the re-shape of the front corner of the organ.
    8621D0CE-D202-42D2-AA48-D7BFB6F74F86.jpeg
    This makes it look more B3 and less M3.

Henley likes this.
  5. David Barnett

Are you going to do the foldback mod?

6. RollingBender

Yes. I plan on doing the poor man’s foldback on the upper and the left hand bass mod on the lower. I’ve been searching for info regarding if there is a mod to hook up the (now unused) bass pedal wires to the lower keyboard but I haven’t found anything.

Regarding the proposed 36 watt amp, I’m thinking a 36watt Spitfire head. That way I can also use it for guitar if I wanted. I’ve built 3 Spitfires already and all have an added 1-tube reverb. That seems like the best route.

A little bit of stain on the new veneer (original square corner in the distance).
    C1B0AB13-1C84-4E21-956E-72C163BA475A.jpeg

tubegeek and Henley like this.
  7. Engraver-60

Engraver-60 Friend of Leo's

My band in 1970, the bass player decided he wanted play Hammond Organ, and got a C3. That was heave A$$ beast to haul to gigs. Good on you to save this from a dump. It's a classic, and you've done really well.

8. RollingBender

Just received confirmation that the Hammond will be appearing live onstage on September 11 at our local brewery. A three band concert featuring 9 local musicians. 5 of us are in two of the bands, one is in all three. The Hammond will be part of the headlining act. Hope I can get this Leslie built before then. The Vibratone sounds really good but a spinning red horn would put it over the top on the cool scale.

awasson likes this.
  9. David Barnett

If it's not done in time, you can borrow my 122 for the gig. You'll need a Leslie kit for the M3, and then there's the small matter of transport, I'm about 800 miles south...

10. haggardfan1

haggardfan1 Friend of Leo's

Nice project! There's currently one on our local CL for $75.

Also, a buddy of mine's elderly mom, who lives in North Carolina, got a free one that came out of her church. I think it might actually be a B3 though. He keeps threatening to haul it down here and fix it up; he's certainly got space for it in his music room.

11. RollingBender

There’s definitely Hammonds out there. Took this screen shot while scrolling through an organ search on Facebook Marketplace. Three M3’s on the same page and all three freebies!

C9E6DB89-FA03-4938-A7E5-09D1AE0C1AA6.png

12. RollingBender

Got the main shell of the Leslie cabinet put together, the shelves built, motors in and speakers and crossover installed. I have a couple VFD controllers I’m using to establish the slow speed on each (single speed) motor. I will be working up a footswitch same as I did on my fake Vibratone. The footswitch is a momentary switch which will bypass the VFD controllers and feed both motors full power.

Compared to Leslie specs of 40RPM at slow speed, these are spinning a bit fast but it still is within the range of being considered “ Chorale”.

D'tar likes this.
  13. RollingBender

Some trim added, some round overs with the router and a coat of stain to match the organ.
    1DA7B3C8-D604-42ED-8C7E-A1B073AA475D.jpeg

While the stain dries, I can work on the rear control plate. AC input, speaker input, speed controls and a footswitch jack.

Nickfl, D'tar and tubegeek like this.
  14. RollingBender

15. RollingBender

Got a footswitch rigged up on the horns but I’m needing to order a DPDT relay in order to switch both speakers for high and low speed. ....getting closer!

16. RollingBender

I’ve been fighting the spinning speed issues all week. The “real” Leslie I’m somewhat modeling has 2-speed motor on each speaker...both of my motors are single speed. On my fake Vibratone, I cobbled together a light dimmer with a momentary switch to bypass. Normal operating condition is that power is going through the dimmer which would be set at the slow speed, hit the momentary switch and the motor gets full power and away she goes.

Thinking along those same lines, I bought a few of these little VFD devices...
    877187DC-8C59-4E68-B24C-0D1FE86BB99A.jpeg
    First attempt I had one on each motor (before I had the switch rigged up). All was fine for dialing in a slow speed on each motor but the horn at full power was spinning a bit fast. So, I put in another VFD to throttle back the high speed on the horn. All was fine again.

Then, add the switch and power goes where it wants and the thing started acting like the volume controls on a 5E3...speed up the horn and the bass speaker goes with it. I finally drew out the circuit to realize I would need a DPDT relay on the switch to make it all work.

Sometimes, old-school is best. I ripped out all but one of the VFD’s, connected both motors to it and went into the shop and turned a new pulley for the horns.
    362A6647-52F0-4140-ABF6-0D1B6A2604B7.jpeg
    The one on the left is the original pulley, the one on the right solved all the problems. I found that the center position with the belt twisted gives me the speeds that work well and also makes the speakers rotate opposite directions like they are supposed to!

tubegeek and mrriggs like this.
  17. RollingBender

Help!!!

the fight with getting the motor speeds and switching from fast to slow has left me bloodied and bruised.

The lower motor is behaving itself just fine...it’s the upper motor that is causing me fits. I thought I had the perfect solution when I discovered a two motor (high and low speed) from another on-board Leslie pull but it was designed to run in the horizontal position. If oriented vertically, the slow motor will either not engage or not disengage, depending on which side is up.

So I went back to the dual VFD thing and added a DPDT relay to switch between fast and slow. It works perfect. Only problem is that it also produces a loud “pop” through the amp every time the relay opens or closes.

What can I do to solve this problem????

18. RollingBender

After a bunch of research, I ordered a couple of solid state relays. There are supposed to be free of introducing switching noise into audio circuits. When I get back from a quick 3-day vacation with my son, the wife will have them sitting on the kitchen counter asking me, “ Now what did you buy?”

I took the day off work today to gather and pack for the vacation but I did spend a considerable amount of time that Mrs Bender was at work to add the B3 cheek piece to the right side and replace the wimpy handles that I had installed with a pair of beefy spring loaded road case handles to each end of the organ. I also finished assembling the leg unit and sanded and stained it. A bit more work to finish up the Leslie but it all should be ready for the gig on the 11th!!!

Last edited: Sep 4, 2020
  19. awasson

awasson Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Does the relay have a fly back diode on the coil to remove the voltage spike? I used to do a lot of trick car audio systems and used relays to motorized drawers and such. I was working with 12 volt DC and usually a fly back diode was all that was needed.

https://resources.altium.com/p/using-flyback-diodes-relays-prevents-electrical-noise-your-circuits

tubegeek likes this.
  20. RollingBender

Thus far, all of the motor circuit is AC. If the solid state relays don’t put an end to the switching noise, I suppose a DC relay trigger and fly back diodes May be the next step.

awasson likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.