It feels like the nightlife party culture was more a thing of the past, is that because I'm old?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by blowtorch, Jan 24, 2020.

1. scooteraz

scooteraz Friend of Leo's

This.

When I worked in Omaha, I lived in the Old Market District. Lots of bars and brew pubs all in a walkable area. My apartment complex had a LOT of Offutt (US STRATCOM airbase; they fly the E-4 from there) aircrew in it. The airbase had base housing and was about 20-30 minutes south of my apartment complex. Turned out, they were able to walk to clubs and not be subject to potentially career ending DUI stops. Heck, we had a wine bar with food in the apartment complex that was decent. Only had to walk outside about 50 ft. LOL

The party atmosphere there was alive and well. OTOH, not as much in other areas where one would have to drive to a club or bar or brew pub, and there is no Lyft or Uber.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2020
  2. 8trackmind

8trackmind Tele-Afflicted

True story: My son and I go camping. He's in his late 20s at the time and we had seperate small tents. About 2am his tent is lit up like a drive in movie. Next morning I asked him what he was up to at 2 AM (after drawing my own conclusions based on what I would have done at that age with a mobile peep show)

Live Korean video game championships.

WTF.

3. PlainAllman

PlainAllman Tele-Afflicted

Yeah I know right? I guess every generation has its own ideas about what makes life fun and interesting. It’s just weird for me to realize my own kids can be so different from myself. :confused: I blame my wife. :lol:

4. 8trackmind

8trackmind Tele-Afflicted

The 80's were my formitive years. We always had the pedal flat to the floor. No peace love tune-in turn-on crap like our parents. It was more like going down niarga falls in a rocket powered neon colored Jack Daniels barrel that you emptied yourself ...while partaking of various things on the other side of legal.
    Full contact, no holes barred, "I did what last night?" partying. We were fairly certain the planet was going to implode in a cold war ball of fire and we didn't want to miss a single thing. We were beyond dangerous and frankly I wouldn't want todays youth to emulate Gen X.

5. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

This is the sensible way to do it. In Seminole County, FL (North of Orlando) after Katrina we got an apartment within too easy walking distance of a bunch of watering holes and restaurants that stayed open late. The car stayed in the garage. The area was bounded on the east side by the I-4 right of way. So, it was down to walking west as opposed to walking North or south by mistake. Don't fall in a swimming pool. But that was ten years ago, and plus ten now. I don't think I could manage that, now.

One time, we used a car to get over to Ruth's Chris Steak house because of a passing evening shower. When we emerged, much later, the skies were clear. We walked back to the apartment, and I retrieved the car about noon the next day.

6. stratoman1

stratoman1 Friend of Leo's

If I had kids I'd be a grandad by now. I can see it now, " when I was your age " .... followed by eye rolls, turning heads and quick exits

Or even better " daggone Pops, you were pretty much an idiot I see "

Whew, dodged that one :D

7. scooteraz

scooteraz Friend of Leo's

When I worked I FL, I had an apartment that was walking distance from the Abacoa Town Center (next to the St Louis Cardinals spring training field). There were several of these little “village” centers in Jupiter. Not quit as many places to go as in Omaha, but really nice nonetheless.

My apartment mate had a nice Vette. He’d want to drink when we went to supper outside of that area, so he would have me drive his car (since I’d drink 1 beer for his every 4, and cut off at 2 in any event when I was driving). First time I drove the car, he got on my case because I didn’t push the car harder.

The funny thing was we’d have as good a time on our back porch as when we went out. We’d order in or make a supper, and then sit on the back porch. I play guitar and we’d just talk about events. We’d drink our beer (and maybe smoke a stogie) there. For the longest time we didn’t have a TV in the apt, because we entertained ourselves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

boris bubbanov likes this.
  8. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I’ve witnessed all kinds of partying in the last (almost) 50 years, from all kinds of stages.
    I’ve played in posh and pathetic circumstances.
    The “Boomer model” of bar partying is indeed waning.
    Good.
    It was insipid.
    Fun, but insipid.
    That ain’t the way to have fun, son, no, that ain’t the way to have fun.
    Where have I heard that before?

9. cyclopean

cyclopean Friend of Leo's

not at all. you're in the wrong places.

10. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire

I taught at LSU in the early aughts.

The correct response to that is "say no more."

11. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

I found out I need a bigger door in the garage, I couldn't get the mo(w)er out the door.

12. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

The partying is alive and well. Drinking age was different 40 years ago and the change created more binging.

My daughter is a UW student now. I'm glad she's not into it, but she describes the fake ID business a roommate's friend is in and shows me the stupid and more stupid via using Snapchat dealing a kid she grew up with is doing.

It's likely moved around a bit. Lots of my young outdoor sports friends seem to do far more in private vs go to bars. I did a snow bike ride a few nights ago and college students were making a fire after hauling beer in.

Not changed, my daughter said she and the roommate she gets along with could do whatever they want if they wanted - fortunately that's not their thing. I'm sure a pa
    The partying is alive and well. Drinking age was different 40 years ago and the change created more binging.

My daughter is a UW student now. I'm glad she's not into it, but she describes the fake ID business a roommate's friend is in and shows me the stupid and more stupid via using Snapchat dealing a kid she grew up with is doing.

It's likely moved around a bit. Lots of my young outdoor sports friends seem to do far more in private vs go to bars. I did a snow bike ride a few nights ago and college students were making a fire after hauling beer in.

Not changed, my daughter said she and the roommate she gets along with could do whatever they want if they wanted - fortunately that's not their thing. I'm sure a pair of cute and athletic young women will always be a welcome sight and get others hoping or wishing.

One change is not having Halloween like back in the day or the stuff like toga party and things the pail and shovel people did in the late 1970s. U2 nor Rolling Stones have been in town recently. Merlin's is long dead. However, newer music places and the town are still out-sized or well beyond average for fly over country. The Washington Post just did a city review as a reminder that it's a place we might take for granted.

Edit: For your sons I think all you can do is try to steer and especially at those ages. My earlier paragraph..... The kid who's dealing and her roommate doing more troublesome stuff all came from fine families. Once at a much younger age that girl just said "I'm just a good girl or try to be" in response to what others were doing and words from her parents mouth. Good luck!

13. Shango66

Shango66 Friend of Leo's

Even when today’s kids do go out, they are constantly on their phones looking at posts of other people having a better time than them.
    So I guess they feel there’s no point in going out.

14. Bones

Bones Telefied Ad Free Member

15. Allan Allan

Allan Allan Tele-Holic

How much partying would you want to do around a bunch of people will cameras eagerly waiting for you to mess up so it can go online to ruin your life?

bgmacaw and boris bubbanov like this.
  16. cyclopean

[​IMG]

Toto'sDad likes this.
  17. cyclopean

what do drunk driving laws have to do with this? most people don't have cars and walk where they are going. or ride a bike or get a rideshare.

18. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Tele-Holic

I started playing in bars here in the early 70's. In our small town there were a good 5 or 6 bars that had bands six nights a week, and they were all full of kids drinking and dancing. It's not that way anymore. A band is lucky to get a two nighter these days, and people certainly don't party, or dance, like they used to.

19. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Aha.

I didn't consider this. I stiffen up like a wall when I see people "capturing" everything for posterity. I thought the whole idea of going out and blowing off steam was, nobody took notes and the time you took Sally-Marie home would be lost forever in the fog of things misremembered and not remembered at all. Only sometimes, when the phones are just not in play for some reason, can you really relax and unwind.

I prefer to remember parties, in my mind's eye. No microscopers need apply.

20. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

so, how about now? :p

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.