It feels like the nightlife party culture was more a thing of the past, is that because I'm old?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by blowtorch, Jan 24, 2020.

1. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

I swear though, I used to come and visit my sister 40 years ago while she was attending college in this town (Madison), and people really partied, and not just on campus...now it seems the streets roll up at 11PM, even on a weekend :p
    Frankly I'm glad for the change if only for my young (19 and 22) sons' sakes.

Have you noticed this cultural change where you live, also?
    Or am I just old now, and don't notice these things because I'm not hip and young but old and out of touch?

2. 8trackmind

8trackmind Tele-Afflicted

They are all at home "gaming" or watching Netflix.
    I used to party more in a weekend than my 30 yo son has in his entire life.

jtees4, Toadtele, DonM and 14 others like this.
  3. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I think you are right about age. When I was in college and living in New Orleans, there was an area west of town called Fat City, it was party central for the young crowd. When I moved to Houston, many of the apartment complexes had clubs that served beer, had a dance floor and DJ music. I think it was because relative to the general population the Baby Boomers were the principal demographic, so having party places was in high demand and a way to meet people. I met my wife at one of the apartment clubs. Now our demographic is knee repairs, medicines and playing oldies in grocery stores.

My grand kids are not into partying, mostly social media and texting. All their music comes through ear buds as a distraction.

brookdalebill, kuvash and Greggorios like this.
  4. blowtorch

"I used to party more in a weekend than my 30 yo son has in his entire life."
    That is my feeling as well.
    Sometimes I worry they are missing out on that particular joy of youth, but then again...

5. PlainAllman

PlainAllman Tele-Afflicted

Yeah definitely the younger generation is not as into partying as Gen X was. Also they’re not as into driving cars, riding bikes, playing guitars, shooting guns or anything else really fun. :confused:

6. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Friend of Leo's

Yes. My wife and I like to go out at night on weekends (dinner, show, bar, friends, etc...). Our kids (16 and 18) stay home watching weird crap on their phones. They have a car, too.

It's weird. I don't get it. But I'm done racking my brain about it. They're old enough to not have their parents make them leave the house. I can't believe I just wrote that.

kuvash, emisilly, DonM and 6 others like this.
  7. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Drunk driving laws are much more strictly enforced than they used to be, so many people choose not to risk it by a night out partying with their friends.

Toadtele, MarkieMark, Georox and 20 others like this.
  8. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

My kids all meet up at their student flats these days... clubs are expensive and full of idiots dropping date rape drugs in anything. They are just not as stupid and as flush with cash as we were.

i know both my kids are regularly up till the early hours with their mates several night a week. They play games, cook meals, watch tv and seem to have a great social life.

Matt G, Greggorios, stnmtthw and 4 others like this.
  9. blowtorch

yeah, weird times.

10. blowtorch

Yep, that's my kids, too.
    I had braced myself for the partying stage though, and that just never came.

Don't get me wrong, I am not complaining, at all

but now i feel a little guilty for what i put my folks through. I mean, I never wanted to cause trouble for them, but I am certain I did anyway

elihu, tubedood, verb boten and 3 others like this.
  11. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

18 was legal back in my day... 21 now ... that's one reason...

bgmacaw, Straydogger and 8barlouie like this.
  12. Matthias

Matthias Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Most of the parties I went to was because I had nothing better to do, not because they were particularly good! I like to think Gen Z have it figured out better than me...

stnmtthw and Marc Morfei like this.
  13. fendertx

fendertx Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

My oldest graduated college with little to no partying, and the youngest is in her second year with no partying to speak of. I guess a lot of the kids looked to different means of enjoyment.
    I was holy hell from 17 to about 23 when it came to booze and recreational stuff. Like you @blowtorch I was bracing for my kids to do it as well.
    So far so good

Straydogger likes this.
  14. stormsedge

stormsedge Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Thank God I lived through that...meh, no longer interested, and no, most don't do it like the bad old days (imo).

Greggorios likes this.
  15. Deeve

Deeve Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

My kid is in her second year at University and her party profile is dramatically different from mine (I went to school in the 70s).
    This is probably good.
    It took years to repair the damage I inflicted on myself.
    Peace - Deeve

16. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Tele-Afflicted

I suppose it’s harder for them to get away with things now than it was for us.

when we were teenagers, if a cop caught you with a bottle of booze, he’d take it and threaten to tell your parents. Today you get arrested and have to go to court.

17. blowtorch

yeah, it's like karma doesn't exist in this matter (thankfully)

18. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Tele-Afflicted

My first three kids did almost no partying. My youngest is making up for it.

fendertx likes this.
  19. cigarman513

cigarman513 Tele-Meister

Im 26, never been to a "party"... Never really drank until I was 18, after high school. That being said, I drink a l lot. It seems all my friends are more into getting stoned than drinking.

I go out Thursdays and Fridays with fellow construction workers but most of them are way older than me. I'd love to have some friends my age that drink alcohol.

61fury and Greggorios like this.
  20. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Depending on the province, it's 18 or 19 in Canada for alcohol and 18 or 19 for jazz cabbage. A-and there's still a quieter party culture than when I were a lad.

Greggorios likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.