It didn't sell, and I'm glad it didn't (Seagull S12)

sloppychops

Tele-Afflicted
My Seagull S12 had been sitting unplayed for at least a year and a half and I decided to list it for sale locally. Not a single inquiry in months.

Took it out yesterday to check on it and ended up playing it for hours in DADGAD and Open D. Same today. Strings must be at least 3 years old and it still sounds great. I had completely forgotten how cool this guitar is. Not for sale anymore.

What guitar have you tried to sell, but ended up keeping?

IMG_2981.jpg

bottlenecker

Poster Extraordinaire
My Seagull S12 had been sitting unplayed for at least a year and a half and I decided to list it for sale locally. Not a single inquiry in months.

Took it out yesterday to check on it and ended up playing it for hours in DADGAD and Open D. Same today. Strings must be at least 3 years old and it still sounds great. I had completely forgotten how cool this guitar is. Not for sale anymore.

View attachment 1001062

If you're ok with sharing, what were you asking for it?

Dismalhead

Poster Extraordinaire
Almost sold my MIM Cabronita about six months ago. They've shot up in value and are going for around $1K now. Wanted another PRS SE. Decided to give it a spin before I put it up and I'm glad I did. It's my favorite guitar at the moment.

telestratosonic

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter

View attachment 1001062
Mine's a 1994 with 6 strings. I bought a set of nut files from Stewmac and a Tusq 6-string bridge.
I just went to a set of ball-end nylon strings.
I'm using a Fishman soundhole pickup.

Last edited:

Freeman Keller

Poster Extraordinaire
I've always thought that the cedar topped S12 was one of the better budget 12 strings.

I've tried a couple of times to sell both my old D18 and an old resonator but they didn't go away. I still need to do it one of these days.....

JDRNoPro

Friend of Leo's
I have 3 12 string acoustics....and haven't played any of them for over a year. Just get preoccupied with my electrics. Every time I play a 12, I rediscover why I like them.

One of mine is an old Rosewood bodied Ibanez I bought in 1973. Not the best acoustically but keeping it for nostalgia. I got it a year after I got out of college (for which I had sold all my electric gear out of necessity to finish). Would love to have that old vintage gear back, but it was the right decision. I also have a wonderful Taylor Jumbo 355CE that's a cannon. My third 12 string is an Art & Lutherie with cedar top and big leaf maple body, which I think is same as your Seagull. A&L has the same parent company as Seagull but has some slightly different specs and is made in a different plant - in La Patrie Quebec. It is rather spartan in appointments but is a quality instrument. It plays and sounds so good......very satisfying! This thread reminded me how good it is - I will pull it out tomorrow:)

geetaruke

TDPRI Member
I have a seagull s6 from the late 90’s. Thing’s a beaut. The entire Godin umbrella just kicks ass.

Recently I wanted to flip a Vintera road worn Tele, and it didn’t go as planned. So glad it’s still with me. It’s really a better guitar than my American performer Telecaster.

telestratosonic

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
If you're ok with sharing, what were you asking for it?
I tried selling the Seagull S12 (see above reply) several times on Kijiji for as low as $175 CAD but had no luck. I was thinking about buying a nylon-stringed guitar a la Willie Nelson. Then I got the idea of putting nylon strings on the S12. Amplified, it sounds fine to me and the wide neck makes it easy to play without hitting adjacent strings.

bottlenecker

Poster Extraordinaire
I tried selling the Seagull S12 (see above reply) several times on Kijiji for as low as $175 CAD but had no luck. I was thinking about buying a nylon-stringed guitar a la Willie Nelson. Then I got the idea of putting nylon strings on the S12. Amplified, it sounds fine to me and the wide neck makes it easy to play without hitting adjacent strings.

Weird. I would recommend trying a real nylon string guitar, though. There are some very big differences, and they're a lot more fun to listen to unamplified.
I wish I could get an S12 for 175 canadian!

sloppychops

Tele-Afflicted
I bet it sounds kind of "thuddy" with nylon strings. Classical guitars are more lightly built so there's more volume and resonance with nylon strings.

But your post got me to wondering...what if you strung it with 12 strings, but nylon strings for the heavier strings and steel strings for the lighter strings? Would be an interesting experiment.

telestratosonic

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
I bet it sounds kind of "thuddy" with nylon strings. Classical guitars are more lightly built so there's more volume and resonance with nylon strings.

But your post got me to wondering...what if you strung it with 12 strings, but nylon strings for the heavier strings and steel strings for the lighter strings? Would be an interesting experiment.
Yes, it does sound "thuddy" unamplified. Sounds terrible, actually. I want to buy a nylon-string classical guitar. I'm 2 1/2 hours southeast of Calgary. I have a plan to go to Calgary and try out the high-end Godin models. Anything made in the US is an extra 25-30% because of the weak Canadian dollar. So far, I've heard good things about the Godin nylon-string guitars.

The S12 came with 12 strings on it. I decided that I preferred 6 strings. The constant 'touching up' to keep it in tune was annoying.

FMA

Poster Extraordinaire
Same boat here. I have an S12 and thought about selling it a couple of times since it spends a lot of time in its case. Every time I think about selling it, though, I play it for a bit and change my mind. But then, I do that with a lot of guitars. I was thinking about selling my Gibson Songwriter since it has resided mostly in its case since I got a J-45, but every time I pick it up and play it, I think, Nah, I'll hang onto it.

zombywoof

Friend of Leo's
Some of the worst mistakes I have ever made were selling or trading off certain guitars. The one which quickly pops into mind when it comes to granting reprieves though is a certain 1956 Epiphone FT79. This thing popped up at a local music store. While it played fine it had some serious cosmetic issues such as binding having popped off and a beat with an ugly stick double pickguard screwed down to the top. It sat for about a year until the store owner made me that offer I could not refuse. I figured what the heck and that if I put a few hundred into the guitar it would make for some good trade bait. I did, offered it up for grabs and got some offers of guitars worth considerably more than what I had invested in the Epi. Funny thing happened though. I pulled it. I then re-thought it all and offered it up again with the same result. Somewhere along the way the guitar just had grown on me. In the end this is one of those guitars which while not doing anything terribly well just sounds so good trying.