It appears my 70th anniversary Broadcaster might be leading me down the tele path

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by budglo, Sep 27, 2021.

1. budglo

budglo Tele-Meister

So I’ve been playing electric for 20 years and never been tempted with a tele of any kind. I’ve been primarily a strat player with some Gibson’s sprinkled in. I’ve always wonder what I’ve been missing so in December I bought a 70th anniversary Broadcaster. I really love this guitar. The neck is amazing as are the pickups. So now I’ve been looking at the 51 nocaster and thinking…..hmm. The fat necks on some of these. Especially since as I get older(I’m 63) . I find the fatter necks are easier on the hands. Ohhh my! I’m sure this has never happened to anyone before.

2. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I've never had my hands on one, but the '51 Nocaster is known for having a fat neck. If you're shopping for one, be sure to get a detailed description. The CS will occasionally deviate from standard, vintage specs.

Hey! You're in violation of Rule 1, Clause 1. One cannot talk about a recently acquired guitar without posting pics of same. :D

TelePlank likes this.
  3. WingedWords

WingedWords Friend of Leo's

4. Texicaster

Texicaster Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Hmm...

My 70th anniversary Broadcaster is the closest cure to GAS I've ever experienced...so far :D.....

It's my 4th Telecaster and "better" than the others I've had. '52 and '58 AVRIs and a Baja.

Bedroom Thrasher and budglo like this.
  5. budglo

budglo Tele-Meister

You’re right . There you go. There appears to be a 51 nocaster about an hrs drive from here that I may check out.it lists the neck as .910 at the first and 1.00 at the 12th with a 7.25-9.50 radius.
    89505DA0-1355-472C-AA72-6ED8B40A5A48.jpeg 5BB2A297-2C50-4E5E-B4B0-5691BF6DE900.jpeg

6. budglo

budglo Tele-Meister

I agree. Fender knocked this one out of the park completely.

Texicaster likes this.
  7. telemaster03

telemaster03 Tele-Meister

I haven't played any of my Teles since I bought my 70th Anniversary Broadcaster at the first of July. Diggin' the amp as well.
    [​IMG]

8. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Thanks. That's a cool guitar. Yeah, that '51 is one of the CS versions with a compound neck instead of the usual.

9. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Why would you want 2 of basically the same guitar? Playing one means you can't be playing the other, no?

10. budglo

budglo Tele-Meister

I thought about that , but I won’t really know if that’s the case until I play it . My experience is there are enough differences to be different . Pickups , neck , wood selection ,etc. I have 2 strats, one a CS 59 journeyman relic and a 59 AVRI strat. Both are similar, but feel and sound way different to me. I always find no 2 guitars are alike. I don’t generally go with wildly different guitars . Not within the same species , at least.

11. LOSTVENTURE

LOSTVENTURE Friend of Leo's

If it's an authentic reproduction, It will have a big neck. That's my favorite feature.
    But, if you don't care what the headstock says, try to find an early (2006-2009) Baja. That has an incredible soft V (think 1955's profile) and the most versatile pickup/switching configuration I've encountered in over 60 years of playing. Just so you know.

televillian and budglo like this.
  12. thejackofhearts

thejackofhearts Tele-Meister

CONGRATS!!! That's a fine looking guitar

When it came to Teles, I had a very similar experience to you. Teles always intrigued me however, after owning a HW1, AVRI, and Ultra I never bonded with any of them and eventually got rid of them thinking maybe Teles aint my bag. And that was the case until I picked up the 70th Anni Broadcaster. Good Lord!!!
    It's just an all around beast of an instrument. And the pick ups....flat out insane insane! The sounds you can get out of it is incredibly flexible. It's a shame that it came out during lockdown and it didn't get the love it truly deserved. I've said it before, I think more people are going to really bummed out that they slept on getting that guitar. Its just that good. Enjoy in good health!

PS...I swear that thin coat nitro jumps off the guitar when you're not looking. I can wait to see what it looks like in another 5 years.

unixfish and budglo like this.
  13. thejackofhearts

I would say that the Broadcaster is a completely different beast than the Baja. If you haven't had the chance to play one of the 70th Anni Broadcasters, give it a shot...the pick ups will blow your mind. :)

14. Sax-son

Sax-son Tele-Afflicted

i am building one now with very similar specs. I would consider buying a Broadcaster, but currently paying off a Les Paul Standard and don't want to obligate myself to any more payments for a while. They look like great guitars though.

15. thejackofhearts

DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! They are THAT good.

budglo likes this.
  16. budglo

budglo Tele-Meister

One thing that surprised me was how great the pickups are. Even the neck pickup sounds great, but that bridge pickup is awesome! After doing some research, they use the same exact pickups as they use in the Custom Shop models , so I shouldn’t be surprised.

thejackofhearts likes this.
  17. Richdonn

Richdonn TDPRI Member

Baja tele has a CS Broadcaster bridge pickup. Love mine.

18. 985plowboy

985plowboy Poster Extraordinaire

Hard not to love a Broadcaster.

19. Wrighty

Wrighty Friend of Leo's

How does the tweed amp in pic.1 compare to the tartan one in pic. 2?

20. budglo

budglo Tele-Meister

I much like the tweed for sure!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.