It ain’t the years, it’s the miles.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by TheGoodTexan, Nov 17, 2019.

1. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Haha

2. getbent

getbent Telefied Ad Free Member

happy birthday man!

brookdalebill and TheGoodTexan like this.
  3. Harry Styron

Harry Styron Tele-Afflicted

As I recall from your posts, you achieved baldness at an early age, so that’s one major disappointment that you dealt with as a young man.

One of the compensations of being an older guy is that you learn to appreciate other people for their admirable character traits, rather than seeing men as competitors and women as either sex objects (or not).

With the baser urges diminished, at least in my case, I’ve been able to form some deep and rewarding friendships with men and women, some of them very quickly after meeting them.

Whatizitman and TheGoodTexan like this.
  4. Recce

Recce Friend of Leo's

I am 63 and I think do I have twenty or thirty some odd years left?

Last edited: Nov 17, 2019
  5. P Thought

P Thought Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Exactly that just happened to me the other day!

TheGoodTexan likes this.
  6. Teleguy61

Teleguy61 Friend of Leo's

47 and you think you hurt?
    I'm 71, very active, and there are pains that I never knew existed.
    Just keep on keeping on brother.

TheGoodTexan, stormsedge and Ricky D. like this.
  7. Jim622

Jim622 Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Its up to you how you feel from here on. I'm in your spot now also. At 43 I got back in shape and went back in the reserves. Not that you should, not my point. At 50 I was passing the PT test at 20 year old levels. I had a knee injury and retired with my 20 years, 2 years ago. I gained easily 40 pounds, I'm scared to get on a scale. I am putting other people before myself out of necessity. We need to make time for us.I know what I need to do and how to do it. Its that getting it moving that's getting harder, because I'm not getting it moving. So your not alone, but we got this.

TheGoodTexan and Ricky D. like this.
  8. Shuster

Shuster Poster Extraordinaire

tenor.gif

TheGoodTexan likes this.
  9. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

That's the beauty of gettin' old, there ain't a soul left around to argue with you, since they're all whippersnappers.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2019
    TheGoodTexan likes this.
  10. 2 Headed Goat

2 Headed Goat Tele-Afflicted

Happy B-day! Just think in a few short years, you'll be eligible to shout at clouds any ol' time of of the day!

re Mr. Knievel (RIP)

Here's a B-day salute to your childhood hero (mine too!)

TheGoodTexan likes this.
  11. Frontman

Frontman Tele-Holic

I had my first kid when I was 47, she’s 5 now, so that makes me 52. My wife is a lot younger than me (and a lot richer), which keeps me more motivated than I might otherwise be.

There are some aches and pains, being a paratrooper and years of riding horses are hard on the body, but otherwise I am in good health. I always avoided booze and tobacco, and growing up in poverty prevented obesity. My blood pressure and resting pulse today are the same as when I was 17. Though I wish I still had the hair I had back then.

Nowadays I walk or ride a bike a lot, I average more than 10,000 steps per day, and playing with little kids is a good workout. Keeping my body moving gets me around (I have a car, but use it very little) and helps keep age from catching up with me.

TheGoodTexan and stormsedge like this.
  12. braveheart

braveheart Tele-Meister

I know,you're right...:) but I always get sentimental days before and on my birthday...brooding over life,death,the past,the present and the uncertain future...

13. Alter

Alter Tele-Meister

I have friends over 60 that climb mountains, run marathons, etc. Not saying excess is needed, but a healthy relationship with exercise will do wonders. Especially if you want to keep practicing/playing/having fun with an instrument.

TheGoodTexan likes this.
  14. LoveHz

LoveHz Tele-Holic

I hit 75 in January. Nowadays it's not so much the miles (we seldom play anywhere we can't get home in under an hour) it's packing up the gear at the end of the gig. This year if anyone asks what I want for Christmas my answer is "a roadie".

When I was 18 all I had was a Vox AC30, a Gibson ES330 and a set of spare strings -- IMO you can't fault the sound of a 330 into a proper AC30, but those amps are too damn heavy now. And back then all venues seemed to have a house PA although many of them were probably rubbish. Nowadays we carry PA, lights, monitors, pedals, spare everything and even a change of shirt!.

I'm currently looking at one of these new fangled Fender Deluxe Tonemaster amps -- at 29 lbs maybe even the Twin.

Grump over -- I'll get back to bed now.

TheGoodTexan and stormsedge like this.
  15. bobk

bobk Tele-Meister

Happy Birthday,I hit 48 in May, and yeah it does all catch up with you eventually,cool thing is you can use your knees to predict changes in the weather.....lol

TheGoodTexan likes this.
  16. dougstrum

dougstrum Tele-Holic

47 happy birthday! In another 20 you'll look back on how spry you were.

As long as you still have a couple of cylinders hitting and and few forward gears you can still get down the roado_O

TheGoodTexan likes this.
  17. stxrus

stxrus Friend of Leo's

Happy Birthday!!
    I saw a cool cartoon with three ladies that said, "The years have been kind to us. The weekends have taken their toll"

Toto'sDad likes this.
  18. tery

tery Poster Extraordinaire

Don't let them tell you that you have grown old .

19. Recce

Recce Friend of Leo's

I hope I am right. You look around and realize that people get something or break something and are gone just like that.

20. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

My wife and her younger sister were only separated by about a year and a half, they grew up together, did everything together. The sister was the junior of the two. For years they had gone to garage sales on Saturday morning. One Wednesday morning my brother in law called me and was speaking unintelligibly, I finally got him to shut up, and tell me what was wrong, he said he couldn't get his wife to wake up! I told him to hang up and call 911. He did, but it was too late, she was gone. From that instant on, I knew that each day we wake up, and we are still able to get up, is a gift. Now, I try my best to appreciate to the fullest that all we have is our lives, the other stuff is just trappings. I've gone through many deaths in my lifetime, but none affected me as much, save for my son's, as my sis in law's. She was my pal.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.