It’s the quiet ones ya gotta watch…

LGOberean

Doctor of Teleocity
In my case, it’s my wife of 49 years. she’s no shrinking violet, and she can be quite chatty if she knows you or is really comfortable with her environment. But she is essentially more introvert than extrovert.

And yet she is quite capable of making quips that are positively startling coming from her or coming up with a humdinger of a zinger.

Over the course of our nearly five decades of wedded bliss several examples of what I’m talking about have occurred. Right off the top of my head I can think of two instances from decades ago, but yet another incidence occurred just the other day. Here they are, in chronological order.

Going back to Father’s Day in 1978, my wife gave me a Father’s Day card. The outside of the card showed a guy kicked back in his recliner, beer in hand, with his wife planting a kiss on his forehead as she was walking by. The caption underneath it read, “Who says you’re not handy around the house?” Opening it up, the punch line read, “You’re a father, aren’t you?”

That same year, I had a vasectomy. At the time we lived in a small town about 90 minutes away from Corpus Christi, and both of our parents lived here. We came to Corpus to get the procedure done, and let our folks watch their grandkids, while we spent a night or two in a motel.

I drove myself to the procedure, and then drove myself back to the motel. I lay down for a nap. When I awoke, my wife was there beside me, and she handed me a card. Warily, I read the outside. A doctor was seated behind his desk, with quite a look of consternation on his face. His little headlamp device thingy was all askew. The caption read “I’ve spoken with your doctor, and frankly, he’s very upset…”

Opening the card, the punch line read, “…you’ve got to stop telling him to kiss it and make it feel better!”

Okay, fast forward to this past Friday. Yes, Veteran’s Day, which also happens to be my birthday. For me, it was largely a day like any other, aside from my reaching the last year of my 60s.

One thing different in the day was trying to breed our rabbits. We have two relatively new does and a new buck. We tried to breed them, and the buck was quickly on board with the idea, but the does just weren’t having it. One doe just wouldn’t sit still for it, wouldn’t lift up her tail for him. The other doe even became somewhat aggressive towards the buck. So we gave up on the attempt for the day.

That evening, my oldest daughter called to wish me a happy birthday. I put her on speakerphone and came into the living room where my wife was sitting. My daughter asked what I did with my day, and my wife blurted out,

“Tell her I tried to show you some action today, but it didn’t work!”

Our daughter immediately exclaimed, “I don’t think I want to hear about THAT!” To which I quickly replied, “Our rabbitry! We tried to breed the rabbits, but it didn’t work!”

(That’s my story, and I’m sticking to it.)

Yeah, it’s the quiet ones ya gotta watch…

keithb7

Poster Extraordinaire
A strong woman can have a very effective way with words. My wife is usually agreeable and quiet. Yet if something unfair or afoul happened to one of her sons, holy crap. Momma bear appears! Wow. The biting, stinging truth revealed in one simple sentence. I’ve seen a school principal turn 180 on a firm decision after such a quip.

I’m blessed. I could be cursed if I was on the wrong end. Not yet. 35 years together so fat.

elihu

Doctor of Teleocity
My wife and I have been spending more time together and I’ve noticed she is slowly constructing her own vocabulary. Today’s new words?

I’m glad you asked!

“Supertiduperty…”

“Handicrapped Parking”

“Doo Dahs…” as in she bought something but it didn’t come with the right…

LGOberean

Doctor of Teleocity
A strong woman can have a very effective way with words. My wife is usually agreeable and quiet. Yet if something unfair or afoul happened to one of her sons, holy crap. Momma bear appears! Wow. The biting, stinging truth revealed in one simple sentence. I’ve seen a school principal turn 180 on a firm decision after such a quip.

I’m blessed. I could be cursed if I was on the wrong end. Not yet. 35 years together so fat.

I'm gonna cut ya a break and assume that last word is a typo.

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
My wife is from a family of dart throwing zingers. Once at a party a woman was once going on, and on about her fantastic new home up off Panorama Drive. She wasn't getting the response she was looking for from my wife, so she asked; You do know where Panorama Drive is don't you? My wife replied, yea it's up by the dump. Whoosh sound of deflating ego.

Knows3Chords

Tele-Afflicted
My wife is too nice to people. Drives me crazy sometimes. She is a sweetheart and would do anything for anybody, but she doesn't know how to say no to people. She gets asked favors all the time by her family, friends, and /or co workers and she will complain to me about it, but won't say no to them. I tell her all the time she needs to stand up for herself. Funny thing, is she isn't like that at home. She has no problem with that . :)

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
My wife would have been a great poker player but has no interest in it. She is hard to read, and I used to make my living reading people. One time when we hadn't been married very long, I introduced her to a friend of mine, a woman who was a published author, deriving her living from writing.

The lady went on, and on about her friends in the world of writing, publishing, and such. Finally, not being able to tell if my wife was impressed or not, she asked. You do read don't you? My wife dead panned it, and said, I once read Donald Duck cover to cover. I almost chocked, because I didn't even know if she was just razzing the woman.

I know one thing, my wife is from a family of nine where they tossed barbs at each other every day, if you going to play in that game, you'd better have a bag of barbs.

Refugee

Tele-Afflicted
In my case, it’s my wife of 49 years. she’s no shrinking violet, and she can be quite chatty if she knows you or is really comfortable with her environment. But she is essentially more introvert than extrovert.

And yet she is quite capable of making quips that are positively startling coming from her or coming up with a humdinger of a zinger.

Over the course of our nearly five decades of wedded bliss several examples of what I’m talking about have occurred. Right off the top of my head I can think of two instances from decades ago, but yet another incidence occurred just the other day. Here they are, in chronological order.

Going back to Father’s Day in 1978, my wife gave me a Father’s Day card. The outside of the card showed a guy kicked back in his recliner, beer in hand, with his wife planting a kiss on his forehead as she was walking by. The caption underneath it read, “Who says you’re not handy around the house?” Opening it up, the punch line read, “You’re a father, aren’t you?”

That same year, I had a vasectomy. At the time we lived in a small town about 90 minutes away from Corpus Christi, and both of our parents lived here. We came to Corpus to get the procedure done, and let our folks watch their grandkids, while we spent a night or two in a motel.

I drove myself to the procedure, and then drove myself back to the motel. I lay down for a nap. When I awoke, my wife was there beside me, and she handed me a card. Warily, I read the outside. A doctor was seated behind his desk, with quite a look of consternation on his face. His little headlamp device thingy was all askew. The caption read “I’ve spoken with your doctor, and frankly, he’s very upset…”

Opening the card, the punch line read, “…you’ve got to stop telling him to kiss it and make it feel better!”

Okay, fast forward to this past Friday. Yes, Veteran’s Day, which also happens to be my birthday. For me, it was largely a day like any other, aside from my reaching the last year of my 60s.

One thing different in the day was trying to breed our rabbits. We have two relatively new does and a new buck. We tried to breed them, and the buck was quickly on board with the idea, but the does just weren’t having it. One doe just wouldn’t sit still for it, wouldn’t lift up her tail for him. The other doe even became somewhat aggressive towards the buck. So we gave up on the attempt for the day.

That evening, my oldest daughter called to wish me a happy birthday. I put her on speakerphone and came into the living room where my wife was sitting. My daughter asked what I did with my day, and my wife blurted out,

“Tell her I tried to show you some action today, but it didn’t work!”

Our daughter immediately exclaimed, “I don’t think I want to hear about THAT!” To which I quickly replied, “Our rabbitry! We tried to breed the rabbits, but it didn’t work!”

(That’s my story, and I’m sticking to it.)

Yeah, it’s the quiet ones ya gotta watch…
tl:dr

BigDaddyLH

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
When we met. my wife noticed I was the quiet one.

oz.jpg

Later she said it was a challenge that I was so quiet. Now she's used to it, or is that resigned? She's always been chatty. :p