It’s Roadster Time! Post yours or your faves!

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by dkmw, Jul 9, 2019.

1. dkmw

dkmw Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

There’s something about open-air four wheel motoring, je ne sais quoi, but for much of the US now’s the time to enjoy them. I know several of us here have some fun cars, so let’s see ‘em. Or post the one you’d like to have:)

I haven’t had one since my TR4A way way way back. But I recently re-joined the club with this 2007 Boxster. 34K miles, almost cherry (just enough imperfections that I don’t have to obsess over every little bit of wear and tear.)

It’s an amusement park ride you can take to the store:cool::D

A3431FC7-6DD3-4B00-825F-D33AA5250403.jpeg 93848A71-C354-4B37-9853-1A2994643558.jpeg

2. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Sweet!
    I had a couple MGBs, a TR6, a TR8 and an Alfa Spyder.
    They were all crap...but I'm a good mechanic.
    Actually, the TR8 was a GREAT car in every way.
    If people would have noticed in time, it might have saved Triumph.

verb boten and dkmw like this.
  3. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

I got one of these for my wife as an anniversary present. We'd had it with the leaking around the convertible top of our Boxter. There's something about a hard top that seals like a drum after you've had to replace a computer and carpets from a flooded interior. We really like the neck warmers built into the seats so it can be top down weather all the way down to 40 degrees F. Sorry about the link to MB USA. I couldn't manage to post a pic from my computer. Ours is black but otherwise pretty much the same. https://www.mbusa.com/en/vehicles/class/slc/roadster

Last edited: Jul 9, 2019
    Stubee and dkmw like this.
  4. trapdoor2

trapdoor2 Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

I grew up in a yellow '29 Model A roadster-pickup (drop-top pickup). Dad had hot-rodded it in the 50s and by the time I came around it had a Buick 322 nailhead in it, transmission was out of a Lincoln, had a 2 spd Columbia rear-end. Had lakes pipes (rarely used, they were incredibly loud). I was sooooo pissed when my elder brother sold it. Dad had promised it to me (I was a little kid at the time).

My 'middle age crisis-mobile was a 1996 Mazda Miata. What a hoot. I drove the daylights out of it. Top was permanently down, even in 15F weather. Miz Diane hated riding in it...and rarely did.

drlucky and dkmw like this.
  5. dkmw

I got mine with the wife in mind as well as myself. We were about to buy one six years ago, but then we had a fire in our house and had to go out-of-pocket to fix everything while we litigated with our pos insurance company ad nauseum (one of the big companies, btw).

This time it was a surprise and I’ll never forget the look on my wife’s face. The bonus for me is that she may quit hogging the M2:) Of course the M2 runs circles around the old Porsche, but as she says “it’s a different flavor”. I’m lucky to be married to a fellow enthusiast who loves three-pedal motoring almost as much as I.

The leak thing is a well-known problem - gotta keep those drains clean. I’ve owned boats all my life so I’m used to having to constantly work on stuff and spend $$$ at the drop of a hat. I look at this car like a boat; oh well there goes some more money...

And we need more peektures:)

C158F60B-6669-4098-A40D-9FA6CFF946B3.jpeg

djh22, Stubee and JL_LI like this.
  6. P Thought

P Thought Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I had one of these a long time ago. I had liability-only insurance, and got rear-ended by an unlicensed, uninsured, unemployed, half-drunken knothead. Mangled hell out of the trunk. Very disappointing.

[​IMG].

Datsun SPL311 "Fair Lady". Mine was a 1600, and it had a hard pop-top. It was a lot of fun to drive.

7. LunarSlingShot

LunarSlingShot Tele-Meister

Trans Am.jpg

1999 Pontiac Trans Am. 5.7L V8 LS. Little over 305 hp. Not a convertible but I love the T-tops

RevBillyG, Tommy Biggs, djh22 and 2 others like this.
  8. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

I have a '98 Z3 like this one, except mine is left hand drive. Had to replace the top last year. Only 80k miles on it.
    I have the little 4-banger in it, plus it's automatic (I inherited the car), but it is still fun to drive. Around town I
    leave it in 3rd and only put it into D on the freeway. It also has a manual shift mode, but that's only needed on
    curvy, hilly terrain.

[​IMG]

BobbyZ, Random1643, djh22 and 3 others like this.
  9. geoff_in_nc

geoff_in_nc Friend of Leo's

I've had a couple MG Midgets many many moons ago. They were fun, but I wouldn't want them now... I like comfort and cargo space. I've been fooling with the idea of a Miata, but my left knee would be crippled in a month with the clutch, and an automatic sports car would be an abomination... Lol

basher and dkmw like this.
  10. basher

basher Tele-Afflicted

My fantasy car is a Lotus 7 like Patrick McGoohan drove in "The Prisoner." In few machines is the inverse relationship between coolness and practicality more clearly manifested.

[​IMG]

P Thought, LocoTex, SuprHtr and 8 others like this.
  11. dkmw

One of the cool things about the Boxster is that it actually has useable cargo space. One trunk in front (the “frunk”), and another in rear. Almost 10 cubic feet total. Engine is directly behind seats, you have to take the car apart almost to get to it.

There’s a Saturday morning gearhead gathering in a parking lot near me. They all open their hoods so everyone can gawk at their engines. I want to take the Boxster there and open both trunks and let them look for the engine:lol:

Get the Miata, man. Life is short:)

12. dkmw

Here’s a cutaway of first-gen Boxster to show the architecture:

8EBD7544-674D-4740-A48F-4A0878EAEE19.jpeg 18923843-5A40-4742-B781-F2EA34D02BEE.jpeg

beatnik, djh22 and Stubee like this.
  13. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

That's also the downside of the Boxer. Great weight distribution-- ideal, really-- but so hard to do anything on the engine due to inaccessibility that labor rates for simple jobs go way up.

dkmw likes this.
  14. rjtwangs

rjtwangs Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

FB_IMG_1449206559931.jpg

RJ

Dan R, beatnik, RoyBGood and 28 others like this.
  15. Mjark

Mjark Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

[​IMG]

16. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

I would have liked a Lancia Aurelia B24:

[​IMG]

LocoTex, Random1643, Deathray and 8 others like this.
  17. dkmw

Yep, that’s the way it is. Dealer oil change is $500. For lots of jobs, they drop the engine out the bottom for access.

You’re right, the slight rear weight bias does have big advantages on the track. Very stable under braking and great at getting power to the ground on corner exit. The BMW 50/50 distribution is faster through the middle of the corner, though. I’ve watched that tug of war for decades at the track.

18. dkmw

I love me some old boat design! Owning and maintaining that thing would make my car look cheap cheap cheap.
    You’d better really like to varnish if you own a wooden boat. At least that one doesn’t have an extraordinary amount of brightwork. But by the time you got though varnishing the thing it would be about time to start over again on the other end:lol:

Stubee and rjtwangs like this.
  19. Stubee

Stubee Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Nothing exotic here, just a plain old 5.0 ‘95 Mustang GT. It’s a 5 speed that I put an aftermarket shifter in, plus subframe connectors and a Magnaflo catback when I bought it about 18 years ago. The ragtop was my wife’s request; I was happy with my ‘89 5.0 hatchback and I think that one was a bit faster. I scared her a couple times in that one so maybe she thought I’d corner slower if the top was down. It’s been a great car with nearly zero issues except the AC going out because it’s stored 6 months a year. It never gets driven if rain is coming because of that AC absence.

I love the old thing and though it’s slow by modern standards it sure doesn’t feel or sound like it when I floor it. Here she is last year before the new top. C3A4FE44-263B-4A25-B9ED-D56F245A9050.jpeg

djh22, hdvades, Mike SS and 2 others like this.
  20. dkmw

Brutal rumbling is fun too:):) Those 80s cars brought back performance when things looked bleak.

Stubee likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.