1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

It’s a sickness, really...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by graybeard65, Nov 27, 2019.

1. graybeard65

graybeard65 Tele-Meister

Saw an amp used in a guitar demo, and was curious, so I followed the trail down a rabbit hole, reading reviews and watching demos.

OP reviewer talks about NAD, and needing to go to work, but being distracted all day by the new amp sitting at home, not yet unboxed.

the choir chimes in with the usual “post pics!” And “let us know how it sounds!” And “man, that’s one sexy amp!”

OP posts again - tried it, and loves it - truly the best amp ever made, better than his X, Y, and trusty Z amps, oh the cleans are to die for, but the real magic is in the gain, and it’s got all that and three bags of chips on tap - basically, the amp is the new gold standard of all amps, and will quickly take the place of every stage amp anyone has ever heard of...

that’s in the first paragraph...and then...

Once I added my EP booster and an OCD, it was fantastic and amazing! Oh, and he put a 10-band eq in the loop, and that really brought it to life! And when he or she added this drive and that drive, on top of the EP and the 10 band, wow! Then it needed a volume pedal (“...it was like a gas pedal that put it into serious overdrive!”) and a magic cable...and three other pedals...and and and...

then back to what an amazing amp it is - truly the best amp, a really amazing amp, an amp that we’d always known could be built had finally been created

now he’s swapping JJ’s and Mullards, and Chinese tubes, and wow. With just the right rectifier the sag and presence were mind-blowing and life-altering, and then when he or she added the perfect cable made to NASA specs using aged cryogenically treated non-GMO, free-range copper, shielded with pixie dust and fibers from the pyramids, the amp was even BETTER.

and the choir chimes in with this pedal and that pedal, how were the early-low mids then?! Was it a straight plug or the angled one? What kind of battery was in the EP? Which version was the OCD...ad nauseum.

But the amp was perfect.

2. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

But you're mistaken.....it's not a SICKNESS......it's a PASSION!

3. Jackroadkill

Jackroadkill Tele-Holic

I've got a few gallons of Snake Oil left if the reviewer would like to purchase it.

graybeard65 likes this.
  4. NewKid

NewKid Tele-Afflicted

Sounds good. What was the name of that amp again?

Fretting out and Obsessed like this.
  5. Mechanic

Mechanic Friend of Leo's

I’m a firm believer in the philosophy of Keef. Straight into the amp, maybe a touch of reverb and call it good. I’ve 2 amps that I go back and forth on, Fender SCXD and Roland 40gx. Pretty much played clean, but I’m liking Black face with the gain up to give it a little hair in both amps. For grab and go to my mind I’ll use the Roland due to its robust build. The SCXD is a hibred with a tube amps frailties. Besides the Roland is lighter. Mods and pedals are just more money that could got to another guitar to add to the pallet or maybe I should just shut up and play more.

DLReed and graybeard65 like this.
  6. bftfender

bftfender Poster Extraordinaire

really enjoy an amps tone..what it produces in the designed volume range..where the mojo happens. ironically seems to be about live level use. I stopped buying amps cause the lineup is set..but..why..why stop... its enjoyable & if one can can afford it...have fun with it

thinking of picking off an entire line.. might do the jcm900 line up. That could be some fun. no rush..jut pick em off when they are priced decent.

7. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

For my Money, there is but one test: How well does it sound next to a drum set on stage?

-ST

Ps, the amp must be turned on, I need to be playing my Guitar through it, we need an awesome drummer behind the kit and, we need to be playing the same song at the same time.
    YEP!!!

Deaf Eddie, stormsedge and bftfender like this.
  8. LowCaster

LowCaster Tele-Afflicted

Just watched the Santana rig rundown on YT. Straight into the amp. OK those a good amps, either a vintage Mesa Boogie or a Dumble! Just some high end switching system and some kind of buffer to get the signal from the stage to wherever the amps are located. And a very long cable to get rid of some highs...

nojazzhere and Zepfan like this.
  9. bftfender

bftfender Poster Extraordinaire

Yes !!

graybeard65 and String Tree like this.
  10. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

So many Amps sound great in the store by themselves but, when it is time to play nice with others, they fall short.

bftfender likes this.
  11. stormsedge

stormsedge Friend of Leo's

Well, it's either the guitar, the amp...or me. I've heard what should be my worst/cheapest guitar played by someone capable...and it is not the guitar. I suspect it is not the amp(s). ((sigh))

I'm buying some pedals anyway...

graybeard65 and LowCaster like this.
  12. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

I think it is all about the honeymoon period. Once past that, adding some tone sculpting pedals and changing tubes is just part of the adventure. Enjoy the ride.

stormsedge and graybeard65 like this.
  13. Zepfan

Zepfan Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

We tend to like what we're hearing at first, but after a while we start looking past those first expressions.

stormsedge likes this.
  14. alnico357

alnico357 Tele-Afflicted

I'm a firm believer that all kinds of folks using all kinds of equipment can sound great or terrible. Since we are dealing with a weak voltage producing our electric guitar tone, adding additional boxes to manipulate that voltage is OK and not to be discounted as "impure."

15. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Super Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    I see both guitars and amps mostly as platforms toward my sound. There’s not an amp made that works perfectly for me right out of the box, all by itself. But I can usually tell pretty quickly if the amp is going to be a good platform for me. In such a case, I might call it the “perfect amp”... meaning, it’s the perfect component for what it does in the chain.

16. alnico357

alnico357 Tele-Afflicted

The mission statement of my amp is giving a good clean tone at stage volume. Dirt comes later and can be covered by my Barber Direct Drive and Gain Changer. I would not buy an amp without reverb.

17. graybeard65

graybeard65 Tele-Meister

More than anything, I'm just amused by how much additional hardware the OP added after determining that the amp was perfect. To me, that's like calling a woman "the perfect woman", and then suggesting that she get her teeth fixed, get contact lenses, change her hairstyle, lose a few pounds, work on her diction, and dress differently.

Don't get me wrong, I love the process, and do the same things myself - I'm just bemused by what we as musicians call perfect, and then set about changing.

nojazzhere likes this.
  18. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

I used to play with a guy who used wonderful, high-end guitars.....usually either an AC15 or AC10 (both great!) and then half a dozen effects pedals that just TOTALLY MESSED UP his sound. I never understood it. I guess there was some "musical insecurity" going on, and he felt he needed to hide behind (or within) the noise. He was a very decent guitarist, but (in all modesty) I would get compliments on my sound, where he didn't.

19. stratoman1

stratoman1 Friend of Leo's

What gets me is when I see people buying a new guitar and decide they need a new bridge, tuners, wiring scheme, pickups, etc. Before they even get the guitar.

graybeard65 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.