1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

issues staying on TDPRI

Discussion in 'Forum Problems & Issues' started by Stan Martin, Aug 17, 2019.

1. Stan Martin

Stan Martin Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I keep getting booted out and either have my Norton AV flag an issue or my web browser comes up with different connection errors like this:

Make sure the web address https://pridebrocker.com is correct.

Noting the web address will change. Is there anything on my end I need to do to resolve this, aside from running AV? Also after I log in to any forum I will receive a trolling email notice from what appears to be a TDPRI notice about a guitar topic.

I do not have any notifications enabled.

Best
    Stan

2. 8barlouie

8barlouie Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I can only speak from my own experience. Norton AV gave me nothing but problems. Actually makes you feel like having a virus would be a welcome change of pace.

Piggy Stu likes this.
  3. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Poster Extraordinaire

Sounds like you may have gotten malware or a virus somewhere along the line or you're just running into some all-to-common redirect ads. In my experience, Norton AV is only good for slowing your system down and does little to block semi-malicious browser hacks that many unscrupulous advertisers use sneak in under Google's ad serving inefficient radar.

If you're on a Windows PC, I strongly recommend using a hosts file to block this junk. This file will also work on many Linux systems, I don't know about Mac. Unfortunately, Google (Android) and Apple don't let users have this level of control on their phones. I hate that I have to use this level of protection but the level of these exploits have risen to the point that it makes it necessary today.

Of course, if you have malware or a virus, a hosts file may not help and it may even block you from protecting yourself using it. In that case, you may need to have your system cleaned by a tech if you don't want to do this tedious job yourself.

8barlouie likes this.
  4. Toast

Toast Tele-Afflicted

In my past experience, Norton was the virus. Finally removed it and was much happier.

rangercaster and 8barlouie like this.
  5. Greggorios

Greggorios Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I don't think I've heard of anyone using Norton in a very long time due to ongoing problems with it. Try another anti-virus. I've had luck with a combo of Avast and Malwarebytes but am sure our fellow forum folks will have other/better options.

6. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

I used to have problems staying on this site, also.

It was always a misunderstanding

:)

bftfender likes this.
  7. bftfender

bftfender Poster Extraordinaire

i got booted for 2 weeks..just telling the truth

8. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

that'll do it :)

bftfender likes this.
  9. 440mhz

440mhz Tele-Meister

I'm a retired tech and I agree you may have malware or website highjacker. I've had success with these 2 free malware removal programs Adaware or Spybot search and destroy. There are also free online scans like House call as well. I'd try running one of them, they are user friendly as well. Best of luck with it.

Greggorios likes this.
  10. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

It seems like something has sneaked past the AV, anti-malware, or Anti-intrusion, whatever you have. Perhaps it’s a browser hijack. Update your AV and run a scan. Assuming Windows, open Internet Properties and see if malware has set an unwanted proxy. Make sure your hosts file is 100% default as-installed by Windows. If these things are foreign to you, get pro help.

I’ve used Norton AV products since the 90s with zero issues. YMMV.

Greggorios likes this.
  11. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

Do you guys have TREND micro maximum in place of Norton. REALLY good and recommended by a computer guy who gives HONEST advice on a radio station.
    ( No commercial affiliation).

Greggorios likes this.
  12. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

P.S All the experts say have ONE ONLY form of protection as they can conflict. Free stuff off the internet may conflict with a cheap $40 protection.

13. fretWalkr

fretWalkr Tele-Meister

Agree you have a redirect virus. Last time it happened to me I ran malwarebytes (free version) to remove it. Then I got McAfee because that's what we used at work. We were doing fed gov contracts so security was a big deal. That was a couple of years ago and I haven't had a problem since. Good luck.

14. Stan Martin

Stan Martin Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Thank you all for the quick replies and advice. I will check into those options.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.