ISO Double Bound Black Tele

Discussion in 'Welcome Wagon' started by PhilthyPhill, Sep 22, 2020.

1. PhilthyPhill

PhilthyPhill TDPRI Member

Hi All!

I'm brand new to the group, and I'm hoping y'all can point me in the right direction on a tele hunt. I'm a bit particular on looks, but I'm basically looking for a TL-62... but I'm hoping to not spend so much. I'm for sure open to non-fender options, and hoping experienced folks like yourselves can point me towards some brands/makers that might have what I'm looking for.

What I want (see profile pic):
    -Gloss Black Double Bound (white/cream) Body
    -A dark fretboard like rosewood or ebony (ideally I don't want to buy a guitar just to swap the neck out)
    -White Pickguard (easy fix if it doesn't come stock)
    -Single coil at the bridge

The closest I've found is the LTD Ron wood signature, I don't mind the humbucker at the neck, but that's a maple fretboard. The Squire John5 HH configuration doesn't do it for me, as I'm looking for the signature tele sound of a single coil at the bridge...and I can't seem to find any Squire Classic Vibes in black anymore, though it looks like they made them.

Thanks!
    Phill

2. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

I actually have TWO black teles with white binding!
    1. Reverend Pete Anderson Eastsider T (see sig pic)
    2. FGN Iliad - very rare in the US. Impulse buy. Totally great, under the radar brand guitar (MIJ, Fujigen factory).
    Edit: Oh, I see neither one of these fits the bill. It kind of sounds like you might want to look for a suitable body and neck on Stratosphere or somewheres. Good luck!

Attached Files:

3. 68Telebass

68Telebass Tele-Afflicted

Welcome aboard!!
    Good luck with your quest. Post a few pics when you get there!!

4. unixfish

unixfish Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

There are also a few that are dark but not black. These are, however, more pricey.

Welcome.

5. havlma1

havlma1 Tele-Meister

I happen to be lucky to find one some time ago (gallery here). They made them only in 2013 as a limited run of 250 guitars.

I'm afraid if you search for Fender made (or Squier), there is none like this the lower or mid price range. I have found only Fender American Ultra Telecaster RW which costs like 2 grand or even more, which is about 2k EUR here in Europe. Maybe you can find some MIJ on reverb or similar market, or even that Squier I was lucky to find - the build quality is fantastic (except for the 3way switch, but it is easy to be upgraded).

PhilthyPhill likes this.
  6. Boreas

Boreas Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

If you know exactly what you want, perhaps work with the Fender Custom Shop or a custom builder? It may save you some time and effort, but not money.

PhilthyPhill likes this.
  7. Injam

Injam Tele-Meister

upload_2020-9-23_9-1-33.png

havlma1 likes this.
  8. Injam

Injam Tele-Meister

Now I want one.

Controller likes this.
  9. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

You may wish to contact Bob Logan at Logan Custom Guitars. While it may sound pricey, he generally delivers an excellent, flawless, even, guitar, tele-style in the range of 1100-1200 US dollla. The one I acquired direct from Bob was even less. There's a sub-forum here for Owner's clubs and one of the most active and rabid is the Logan guitar owners clubs.

Here are the links:
    https://logancustomguitars.com/elec...ack-top-bound-relic-tele-electric-guitar.html

https://www.tdpri.com/threads/logan-custom-guitars-club.151668/page-356#post-10117089

Logan has a black tele style on his site currently. Not double bound, and mildly relic'd, but for flawless and double bound, all you have to do is ask. He's also a Vendor member here and much appreciated. You can pick whatever pickup configuration you would like.

Welcome aboard and best of luck with your search.

PhilthyPhill likes this.
  10. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

ooooops double post.

every now and then, randomly, you might click on the "Post Reply" button and you see the little graphic indicator in the upper right hand corner of the screen, indicating that the posting is in process...and then it just dies on you, like nothing happened.

Oh, but it has. However, you may be too impatient, like me, to flip to another page and then return and there it is. In this case I just went for it and got rewarded with the TDPRI equivalent of a Darwin test.

May I say now you have been double welcomed?

PhilthyPhill likes this.
  11. PhilthyPhill

Yea, that'd be too much $ to go through fender. Other custom builders for sure a good route

Tonyapple likes this.
  12. PhilthyPhill

Thanks for the tip!

13. PhilthyPhill

WOW, you're the lucky guy then. I had no idea they only did $250!

havlma1 likes this.
  14. Boreas

Your best bet may be to roll your own. You can often buy decent unfinished bound bodies online, then buy whatever neck you want. It won't be a Fender, but that isn't always a bad thing. I would guess you could do it for under 5 bills (depending on continent of manufacture), but may never be worth more than a couple hundred to anyone but yourself.

15. PhilthyPhill

I've looked on allparts and warmouth, and they both seem to be out of stock on black double bound bodies. I'd be fine with the assembly of a guitar, but the paint I'd really like to be taken care of professionally/beforehand.

16. Tonyapple

Tonyapple TDPRI Member

I was on a similar hunt. The options were either Fender Ultra for $2000 or look for a MIJ on reverb. I wound up purchasing an SX Furian for $175 902FC21E-0D26-49B4-859E-6FB42071994F.jpeg and ditching everything but the double bound body. Purchased a Fender Roasted Maple neck which is really nicely made. I used all aged hardware. Put a TV Jones Classic in the neck and the SD Broadcaster in the bridge. I have a standard Tele so I was looking for a different sounding guitar. Did my own wiring with quality components. All in I think it was $800 but it was exactly what I wanted.

VillainSean, Mouth and PhilthyPhill like this.
  17. PhilthyPhill

I would love to do this if I could find the right donor guitar!

18. FrankJames

FrankJames Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Welcome to the forum !!

19. Boreas

Keep looking! You may need to expand your horizons!

If you or someone you know are good with a router, you could grab any old black body and do the binding yourself, or have someone do it for you. Basically rout, apply, respray clear over repair. But you could get chipping of the original finish if not done well.

20. RicoC3PO

RicoC3PO TDPRI Member

You could do a custom body from the warmth site, then buy a neck from Stratosphere. I think that would produce a pretty killer guitar for a good price.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.