1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Isn't SS better for home playing

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by 3 Chord, Oct 13, 2012.

1. tap4154

tap4154 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Larger twin-speaker tube amps can sound great at low volume, as long as you prefer clean. I love my SS 25R, but playing my RK Super 210 at low volume just has a lot more dynamics and complexity going on. Very sweet/full sound at apartment/bedroom levels IMO.

2. Amerigo

Amerigo TDPRI Member

Tube clean still sounds better than SS clean. And you can use a OD pedal.

If you need a really small amp, look into a Blackstar HT-1. Digital reverb, 2 channels, headphone out, master volume. 1W tube amp. Sounds like its meant to be, nice tubey crunch.

Cheers

David

3. xtrajerry

xtrajerry Doctor of Teleocity

In my apartment the Jet City JCA22 with their 2X12 cab gives me all the distortion I want on the OD channel. Cleans up fairly nice on the crunch channel. Able to keep the volume low enough that my downstairs neighbor does not complain even after midnight I'm looking for real clean Blues junior through the same can does the trick. Mustang just hangs out and gathers dust. All those voiced are cool but get in the way of just playing.

4. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

Thankfully I like the sound of a Twin Reverb at home.
    I justs bolted some JBLs in and now I can't move the dammed thing.
    I may have glued it to the floor when I put the tolex on.

5. musicmatty

musicmatty Former Member

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::p:p:lol::lol::lol: my assss offf:cool:

6. telepath

telepath Friend of Leo's

These threads come up daily, and only serve to give people the opportunity to show off entrenched opinions.

The OP stated 'quiet practice'. Specifically. Around the house.

A decent tube amp is not ideal for quiet practice. It wouldn't even be acting as a tube amp properly at low volumes. Even the low wattage ones do not.

OP, it makes perfect sense to choose a decent non-tube amp for 'quiet home practice'
    In fact it doesn't even make that much sense to choose a Tube amp specifically for quiet home practice. Nor dragging the darned thing about.

It may go without saying (though even this is up for endless debate) you may get more fun out of a decent tube amp for louder home practice, jamming, or obviously if gigging.
    i.e. at a level that actually gets those tubes working as a tube amp.

That said - for quiet home practice - the little Bugera V5 tube amp has a 5w a 1w and a .1 setting. In other words 'quiet practice' possibilities.

And it has reverb, which is handy for practice at low volumes.
    The reverb is digital, but it sounds plenty OK, it is in a parallel circuit - not in the 'all tube' path.
    If it does interest you, dont fret that it is a 'Bugera' (and other peoples opinions on a brand name! ) it costs very little and there are many happy owners posting about them.
    I'm not suggesting it is a world-beating amp - but for the purpose you described it could be just the thing and worth a look.

Good luck :)

7. Starrman44

Starrman44 Tele-Afflicted

I live in the country, but have four kids 5 years old and under. I wind up playing around midnight or later. I run my twin reverb on about 4 with my guitar volume at about 8 or 9 o' clock. I'd probably have to run it on 2 and a half if I turned he guitar all the way up.

I prefer turning my twin down vs a Roland Cube 60 or Vox Pathfinder 15r. I've had both. Funny thing is, when my buddy plays he makes it all sound good and there sn't as much of a difference. When I play I just can't find a setting that feels as good as my Twin. I also love a Princeton Reverb, just don't own one (played my buddies).

8. deadicated

deadicated Tele-Holic

I find my Special 6 Ultra has the flexibility to give decent tone at family happy levels. These days I think you can go in either direction depending on what you like.

9. tele12

tele12 Friend of Leo's

I've plugged a couple of my tube amps and a couple of my SS amps into the same speaker cabinet. At low volumes clean the tube amps have much better detail and clarity.

10. jackal

jackal Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

I use SS for everything.

11. telepath

telepath Friend of Leo's

OK,
    But can I respectfully assure that I have done the same, a few times, and on each occasion found the opposite to apply.

Upon playing loud(er), the tube amp(s) came into their own.
    Sweet spot. Efficiencies - call it what you like.

But I wouldn't call it 'quiet home practice'.

12. Tarnisher

Tarnisher Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I've been trying to stay open minded about SS, but I still haven't found satisfaction playing anything that didn't have glowing glass in it.

Right now I have an Orange Micro Terror and a ZT Lunchbox sitting on my desk. The MT is a hybrid, and it's a blast. Chimey cleans, rich distortion, both at very low volume or loud enough to induce hearing loss.

The ZT has much more clean headroom, but it's just not fun. It sounds clinical, and almost harsh. I just don't get any joy from it.

I've also tried the Roland Cube, and while I liked it more than the ZT, it's still no match for a tube amp.

I'd love to try a Quilter, but it's a bit out of my price range.

13. Swee_tone

Swee_tone Tele-Holic

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!!!!!!!!! aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!!!!!!!!!!!
    YES!!!!!!!!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.