1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Isn't it strange that when Eighties music is brought up, nobody mentions TALK TALK?

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by Blazer, Feb 28, 2021.

1. whole tone

whole tone TDPRI Member

I was re-introduced when No Doubt covered 'It's My Life'.

2. pinchegil

pinchegil Tele-Meister Platinum Supporter

It's a shame

3. goonie

goonie Friend of Leo's

I'm sure the last time we were having a few drinks and talking about 80s music, I mentioned Talk Talk. Or maybe the time before that.

4. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Just not a fan, really, of what most call 80's music, which I interpret as a decade of Top-100 titles. All the visual stuff with hairspray, mousse, spandex, and a general disdain for thick keyboards unless it is a B3 spinning up in a Leslie. I could go the rest of my life without ever seeing another DX7 or SPX90 (feeling pretty safe on that one ha ha}. There was some talent, for sure, but rarely was it applied in my interest areas or tastes. It seemed to me like there wasn't as much songwriting as it were creating little 3.5 minute soundtracks for videos. I hated that video ruled so much in the 80's, and the effect that you couldn't seem to get airplay if you didn't have a video to go with it.

That being said, there are different areas of music to be explored during every era. None of us likes them all. Some of my favorite artists put out albums during the 80's, but the overwhelming majority of them were established acts. SRV gained his popularity during the 80's, and there were others, as well who I admire, but not so much that I can claim 80's music fandom.

Keep in mind that this was during my touring days, as well. Our crews weren't listening to the radio or watching MTV so charts meant nothing to us. We were listening to the stuff the board guys were leaving behind in our CD players & cassette decks at FOH or illegal cassettes we made of the FOH mix the night before if we got tapped to mix the show, then sharing them with each other when we all met up back at the shop at the end of the summer. Once in a while the artists would hand the monitor guy a stack of new release CD's and tell them to share them with their friends. Even when we were home, the local cool radio station had a 100% all request format, so there were no playlists. You could hear BB King followed by Oingo Boingo followed by Poco followed by the Dead...you get the idea. You would hear some stuff that was charting, but not a whole day of it.

I have forgiven the 70's. I am sure there is still hope for the 80's, but am still not on speaking terms with the 90's lol! Now, I gotta go yell at kids for walking on my grass. Cheers.

5. Larry Mal

Larry Mal Tele-Meister

I think you might have really missed out on a lot there.

6. Lawdawg

Lawdawg Tele-Afflicted

Never too late for a rediscovery. Their first two albums, when they had their biggest hits, were catchy synthpop that punched well above it's weight in song quality. Their third album, The Colour of Spring, was the classic transitional record and may be the best starting point if you're new to Talk Talk. It's a great album.

Their final two albums, Spirt of Eden and Laughing Stock, are simply on another level and in my opinion stand as two of the best records of the past 40 years. They are highly atmospheric and organic records, at times almost symphonic, with the tracks culled from hundreds of hours of recordings from a large number of musicians. The best description I can think of would be that these two albums are sort of the missing link between Can's Future Days and Tago Mago in the early 70s and late 90s work by post-rock bands like Sigur Ros, Tortoise, Mogwai, and late period Radiohead. Really though, they are truly unique albums, and don't sound like anything else.

aging_rocker and Norris Vulcan like this.
  7. Blazer

Blazer Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

A radio performance during the era of that first album, I certainly don't hear a kinship to Duran Duran. What I DO hear is atmospheric and experimental music.

A friend of mine once described Talk Talk as Pink Floyd meets Depeche Mode and yes, that's pretty much on the money.

Aftermath and aging_rocker like this.
  8. Larry Mal

Larry Mal Tele-Meister

Here's one of the songs from the later era that will probably illustrate what the poster above wrote about how they went in a direction unlike anyone else at that point. It's an incredibly beautiful and atmospheric song, heartbreaking and wonderful.

This isn't one of the hits, although the record company put together an edit and a video, but Talk Talk and Mark Hollis were past the point where they cared about that. They just wanted to make the music they wanted to make exactly how they wanted to make, and they did.

9. Norris Vulcan

Norris Vulcan Tele-Afflicted

I really like Laughing Stock and Spirit of Eden for the soundstage, the recording...it all comes together with the music to create a jewel, an album that stands apart .

I cannot find a YT link that works on here - "New Grass" by TalkTalk, check it !

Last edited: Mar 1, 2021
    Lawdawg likes this.
  10. middy

middy Friend of Leo's

Have you listened to the first Duran Duran album? Most of their later stuff is completely different.

11. tele_savales

tele_savales Tele-Holic Platinum Supporter

I would say the overall best thing about them is their hit single Talk Talk. Off the album Talk Talk. By the band Talk Talk.

12. Blazer

Blazer Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

They never had an album called "Talk Talk"

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.