Isn't it amazing anyone plays in bands anymore?

bottlenecker

Poster Extraordinaire
I make weird music for people who like to listen to ugly people. Not everyone wants their entertainment spoon fed to them from a happy meal. There are some real freaks out there who want songs of bitterness they can believe, and it takes some wrinkles and scar tissue to sell it.

Orpheum

Tele-Meister
I make weird music for people who like to listen to ugly people. Not everyone wants their entertainment spoon fed to them from a happy meal. There are some real freaks out there who want songs of bitterness they can believe, and it takes some wrinkles and scar tissue to sell it.
Totally agree! There will always be people to run away from standardized and perfectly formatted products to find the authenticity and reality of real bands on a real stage.

loopfinding

Poster Extraordinaire
The internet and prosumer gear has made it so that everything is someone’s solo project.

Let’s take dance music as an extreme example, a music that you can make all by yourself, that historically has been primarily solo artists - in the 90s you still had tons of duos, and a lot of heavy-hitting duos, even if they were in the minority. You see barely as many these days.

It's not so bad in music for traditional instrumentation, but it has gotten worse.

Last edited:

PhoenixBill

Tele-Holic
I think there’s still hope for live music though. I have seen the reaction of some teenagers when they saw a great musician perform a Few feet away, really up close and personal without a PA or anything. Even jaded adults can be moved when they hear a good sax player blowing in a living room, perhaps at a party for example. The power and dynamic range surprises folks who just hear music on their iPad.

ReverendRevolver

Friend of Leo's
There'll be a pushback towards (not musical) in person goings on for young people in the relatively near future. As in they'll be sick of the status quo of normalized non in person interactions. The retro nonsense always gets recycled, but this will be a relatively new thing.

What does that mean for music?
Not much. Until it does. But for the same reason digitized recordings put to vinyl are popular, in person stuff is likely to be too.

Being in a band is more about playing in front of people and that interaction for me. It was before most people I knew could record video and put it online. I have a DVD somewhere of my grunge band when my brother figured out how to do that. But if I wanted to make music videos, I would need a different skill set. Being In a band is about music, creating something, and dealing with often times conflicting personalities of band members, bookers, sound guys, people in the crowd, and bar tenders.
Not every "youtube prodigy " who plays eruption with 49 edited takes has the musical skillset or the conflict resolution capacity to be in a band with other people creating something and gigging.

At the same time, I cannot make a youtube video, and I'm sure many other people who've been in bands wouldn't know how to edit something up to look more impressive than they'd be live.

So, being in a band is a specific thing, as is making good youtube content. They're different, and will always trend up and down. I'll be here playing the guitar quite badly regardless of which one is popular. Such is life.

Guran

Friend of Leo's
On a tangent... We were in a studio recording a couple of new songs last weekend. One of us asked the studio guy "What about the kids nowadays, are they playing in bands?".

"Well" he replied, "a few, but not many. The regrowth is kind of weak. I dunno what to do about it".

Let's think about it this way: When we started playing in the early eighties, fueled by the DIY ethics of punk rock, it was about six years after the first Ramones album. Rock'n'roll was about 25 years old.

During the first 20 years of rock, there was a lot of development, a lot of progression. Then, with punk rock, came the back-to-basics reboot. After that not much significant has happened. Sure, it kind of happened all over again, but still. Allright, subgenres of metal has appeared, but that's sub-genres...

So you start plaing today... Punk rock, close to 50 years old. Classic rock, 60 years old. Some-very-metal stuff 30 years old. So asking why the kids don't play in bands now is a bit like asking why we didn't play big band swing when I started playing.

On the other hand, last week I was in Stockholm. I went to a jazz jam in a club. The players were mostly in their early twenties and they were good. That place was packed. I sensed hope!

Skyhook

Friend of Leo's
The internet era is so decadent that anyone laying on the couch can look up a video of a perfectly produced song with an MTV video featuring often model level attractive people. When you take that into account who's gonna care about what you do?
I will!
Because I make my music for me!
Don't get me wrong though... I'm thrilled to bits if somebody else likes it as well, but I'm the target audience!

pbenn

Tele-Afflicted
The change might be: Free rehearsal space ('80s recession) vs $250/mo paid rehearsal space (now).
Side effect of real estate values, unwanted books and furniture on the curb.

Dr Improbable

Tele-Holic
Full stop. You are awesome.

blowtorch

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Oh, it's time for a "Old folks complaining about the state of today's music" thread.

it's all kind of revivalist, isn't it?
Like those guys who get together on weekends to re-enact civil war battles
You know, not that there's anything wrong with that

But where's the "next big thing" in rock music?
There hasn't really been anything new, in terms of a gigantic popular wave within guitar-driven rock music, the kind that sends kids to guitar center in droves, since grunge (which of course was itself revivalist).
Unless I'm so old and out of it I just don't see it/haven't heard of it.

Which is always a possibility

bgmacaw

Doctor of Teleocity
it's all kind of revivalist, isn't it?

We all build on and are influenced by what's gone before and by the culture of the time. Early rock bands built off of genres like blues, folk/country and skiffle. Just like today's bands use modern inventions like the internet, bands back then used inventions like fuzz pedals and tape echo machines.

The Linda Lindas take a more or less classic garage band sound and mix it with lyrics that appeal to certain modern influences. Måneskin takes their influences from a wide range styles. Rust 'n Rage build from a variety of hard rock influences.

Flat6Driver

Poster Extraordinaire
Who
Cares?

People do what other people do. Period.

In the 80s that was emulating EVH playing Eruption (which I don't know why is a skill to attain).

In the 1600s people listens to baroque and JS Bach was the master of it. Until it wasn't popular and his own son started writing the music of the day.

Tastes change. Hip hop, self produced, etc is what it popular and that's what people are doing.

Nobody on this forum seems to lament the lack of fingerprinting folk artists.

I think this is a common refrain on forums. Why isn't the thing I like more popular. Followed by why are all these new people now doing the thing I like?

Happy Thanksgiving.