1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Is your guitar tone a lie, or does it exist? prove it!

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by c0rnfed, Apr 17, 2013.

1. ' burn 08

' burn 08 Tele-Afflicted

c0rnfed, here is another thing to think about, how come one person can play a guitar and get one sound, put it down, and a second person pick it up, not change any settings, and the same guitar sounds different?

2. djalt

djalt Tele-Holic

They're having the same problem in the world of wine drinkers.

From Wikipedia (I know, I know):

The effect of glass shape on the taste of wine has not been demonstrated by any scientific study and remains controversial. It is however believed by some that the shape of the glass is important, as it concentrates the flavour and aroma (or bouquet) to emphasize the varietal's characteristic. One common belief is that the shape of the glass directs the wine itself into the best area of the mouth from the varietal. [1] This is based on false ideas about the nature of taste buds on the tongue, such as the thoroughly discredited tongue map.

3. Chud

Chud Poster Extraordinaire

I will say that some wine glasses are more conducive to getting your nose all the way in there, but other than that the shape of the glass is a lot of hooey.

4. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

That right there is a quick reminder of where the term "corksniffer" originated.

5. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

If you wanna learn all about the ingredients of "Tone" just read the ad copy of any product on guitarfetish dot com.

:lol:

We wound 'em HOT! HOTTER than the BUTTCRACK of the SUN! This pickup has COJONES. And the HIGHS!! OH my. They are like perfect little CRYSTALS. AMP-SEARING MIDRANGE.

6. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

I will give you this c0rnfed, you make an interesting case for the why does one pay 200 bucks for a pickup intended to replicate one that originally sold for 10 bucks or less? A 52 Tele was about 200 bucks out the door in '52.

7. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

In 1950, the average cost of a new car was $1510.00. ;)

8. Toto'sDad

My first car (1957) cost $250 off the lot it was 5 years old, (52 Desoto) and I was thirteen years old. I immediately drove to the edge of town and gave my mother her first driving lesson. Neither of had a drivers license and of course we weren't even aware that auto insurance existed. Sometime later that year she got a drivers license. (but not right away) Things were a little different in those days. My step father lost control of both my mother's and my life that day. (he would never recover from the shock)

9. Tdub

Tdub Friend of Leo's

I'd rather know how to work a guitar, than to know how guitars work.

10. fabricator

fabricator Tele-Meister

Sounds to me like you're trying to over-simplify something that ain't overly simple.

There are a LOT of factors that contribute to any guitars' tone - some more so than others, of course - and a lot of them will be difficult to scientifically quantify.

Especially if you're on a budget.

11. fabricator

fabricator Tele-Meister

"I'd rather know how to work a guitar, than to know how guitars work".

Totally understandable, but don't knock the guys who ARE interested in designing and building guitars. Without them, we wouldn't have the amazing equipment we have today.

Just sayin'...

12. surfneptune

surfneptune Banned

The strings on a semi hollow will pick up the vibrations of the top. Putting energy back into the string. A solid guitar will not vibrate with that much enthusiasm. It's too thick.

13. surfneptune

surfneptune Banned

$200.00 in 1952 had the same buying power as $1,732.84 in 2013.
    Annual inflation over this period was 3.60%.

From one of those web calculators.

So a $10 pickup in 1952 is the same as a $86.64 pickup in 2013.

14. tele12

tele12 Friend of Leo's

What's happening is the Hollowbody guitar is AFFECTING the oscillation of the strings more than the solidbody is.

15. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Positive feedback. The sound waves vibrate the top, vibrates the strings and the pickup and a positive feedback loop is created. Also possible with a solid body but you need more volume. IMO

16. refin

refin Friend of Leo's

My guitar tone can beat up your guitar tone

17. TwangBilly

TwangBilly Tele-Afflicted

It's all to do with what effects the string vibration and how. What effect and to what degree different things effect the string vibrating is dependent on every aspect of the string itself.
    I think the principal behind some of the purported physics of guitar science is
    mis-based. Good old fashioned common sense will tell you that anything effecting how that string vibrates will effect tone in some way. Simple enough in theory, but it all gets pretty complicated and technical in practice.
    Just a few things I've learned about electric guitar. And to the OP, great topic and welcome aboard!

18. Toto'sDad

Does the presence or absence of nicotine in one's underpants have a significant impact on tone? Or if present, is this simply an indication of entirely too much cigarette smoking, and provides virtually no impact on the "tone is in the underpants" theory?

19. BoogerRooger

BoogerRooger Poster Extraordinaire

Seems to me that as so often in discussions about 'tone', the thing missing is any mention of music. That's all guitars are for, to allow someone to make music.

I like what Dave Hunter says in the intro to his book about amps. 'It's not rocket science. It's much more complex than that.'

OK, you can map out components and follow the paths of the electrons but what actually happens to produce sounds that affect us deeply emotionally, is pretty hard to explain.

You can plug a guitar into a nice amp and play an open A chord and it'll sound amazing. Do it again and again and it gets boring. Play a piece of music with feeling and what happens to the 'tone' then?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.