Is Your Gear Too Good For You?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by taxer, Feb 21, 2013.

1. barney77

barney77 Tele-Meister

I make more from gigs than I spend on gear ( just) so I have to say no.

2. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

The quality of my modest stuff is about 2 grades above crap (including my collection of eBay pedals and my used Fender amp),which is about right for my playing, with the exception of my 30 year old Yamaha SG 800S that I got on ebay for $600 +shipping about a year ago and my (first new) MI Audio Blues Pro pedal. I'm aspiring to match those someday before I die.

3. Ravie

Ravie Tele-Holic

Gear is for people who play, if you like it and you bought it then I don't think so. Just because you suck doesn't mean your gear should suck. I gig regularly and my only acoustic is still just a crappy Jasmine dread Ac/Elec that cost like 150 bucks. As for the rest of my gear - I use it regularly so I would still say no. This Pro Reverb has been modded and brought back to life by me, my guitars were all set up by me, and I play them and make money with them so... no!

4. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

My gear is what I need to do the music I do. I've got everything from a MIM Strat to a Historic LP. They're tools. Some I use more then others.

5. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

My gear might be too good for me, but it's better than a cupcake.

6. Guitharley

Guitharley Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

I have a few nice pieces and I am definitely the guvnor to their throttle, but I have a couple buddies that know their way around a six string, so I let them burn the carbon out every once in a while, and it makes me happy to know what it is capable of.
    But I love and respect my gear and it loves and respects me.......it told me so

7. thinlefty

thinlefty Tele-Meister

I have only been playing for two years now so my first reAction to that question was that my gear is to good for my skills as I now own two good teles but !

Then I thought about it and looked at the guitar and amp that I started with, a early 70s LP copy from the Matsumoku factory a nice guitar in the right hands but not mine,
    as no matter how much I practiced and tried I could not get Barr chords to sound right on that neck with low frets and large radius.
    So I tried a CIJ tele thin-line and the chords sounded perfect the first time I played it, I had to have it right right away as my playing became acceptable to my ears finally.
    I have added a CIJ tele 62 ri to my collection and just now bought a Super champ xd to play through.

My conclusion then is that yes my gear is great now and better than my skills but it allows me to continue growing and getting better each day as I now enjoy hearing what is being played by myself.
    My gear is perfect for me.

Sent from my iPad using TDPRI

8. jc93230

jc93230 Tele-Holic

I don't think it is possible ever have gear that is too good, other than so expensive or pretty you are afraid to use it.

9. dblues

dblues Tele-Afflicted

Sshhhh. If it hears us talking it might sell me on eBay.

10. garytelecastor

garytelecastor Poster Extraordinaire

Well, I had a long talk with my pedal and it seems it wants to stay on my PB. Now that I have kind of caved with him, the Delays are beginning to feel disgruntled and they are talking about a walk out.

11. bluesjuke

bluesjuke Tele-Afflicted

Actually my gear is "just right".
    We compliment each other well.

12. Old Bill

Old Bill Tele-Holic

Not for me.......but I know a lot of guys that it is too good for!!!!!

13. jtees4

jtees4 Tele-Afflicted

See...I'm so bad I couldn't even spell ESTEBAN. :eek:

14. stevieboy

stevieboy Poster Extraordinaire

The best response!

15. flinx

flinx Tele-Meister

Welcome to the fold...Brutha!

16. Canuckcaster

Canuckcaster Poster Extraordinaire

I don't own any flagship models, so I guess I don't have to worry about my gear being too good for me. I agree with an earlier poster, my wife is far too good for me.

CC

17. Matt G

Matt G Tele-Afflicted

Another great TDPRI thread.

I have very little stuff. I buy the best used kit I can afford, professional quality equipment in new condition, and it will last the lifetime of a back porch player like me.

Only my acoustic six string gives me any excuses. I am finally better than it is. The rest of my equipment I now have to live (play) up to. That means I don't have to to mod anything, and can just focus on playing better.

Having said all that, for thirty-odd years I've had a fairly rare Gibson that deserves to live with a really great jazz guitarist. That gear is too good for me.

Yet I am still crazy enough to want to buy a pedal steel and learn how to play it.

Maybe the question is whether our gear is better than our ambition?

Ah, well, it all keeps me out of mischief, and if I ever have musical grandkids then of them is going to get a pretty decent head start on the guitar slingin' life.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.