Is your amp way too big for your needs?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by hemingway, Jan 10, 2015.

1. KCJonez

KCJonez Tele-Holic

That sounds expensive. Maybe someone should start a thread on who's paid too much money on his/her gear.

2. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

That would go over just slightly less well than this one, I would think. :lol:

Honestly, all of these threads about wattage, number of speakers, or cost of gear serve no purpose outside of people justifying their own purchases and beliefs. What works well for one person might be a terrible choice for somebody else, and what you use at a blues jam wouldn't fly if you're playing metal. That's why there are so many options available.

3. Crobbins

Crobbins Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

[​IMG]

4. H. Mac

H. Mac Friend of Leo's

I agree, but every now and then we gotta share ideas on how to drown out the drummers. ;)

5. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Well, I'll tell you... It takes an amp with more power than a soldering pencil to do it. :lol:

6. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

Quite honestly, I would be scared to stand where Jimi is standing. I can't even imagine what that would do to my ears....

7. bun malaey

bun malaey Tele-Afflicted

Of course my amp is bigger than my needs, it's a guy thing.

The overkill in amp size compensates for other areas that are lacking.

8. dragonfly66

dragonfly66 Friend of Leo's

Wow, most of my amps are tube and 40 watts and above. I gig with a solid state modeling amp, LOL. I play my tube amps at home in the mountains where I can play them as loud as I want. I do have two 45 watt amps that have built in attenuators. My biggest issue with high watt amps isn't how loud they are, but how heavy and awkward they are to move around.

9. T Prior

T Prior Poster Extraordinaire

imagine for a moment what Jimmy could have done with a Princeton Reverb at Woodstock !

10. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

I expect someone will post the picture of the fake Marshalls on stage pretty soon.

11. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

check out the stack of amp heads on the right of stage.... classic.... are they leaning back? or is just the pic angle?....

timbeeeerrrrrr... ;)

is there any way they'd all stay there if the bottom amp was leaning back on the legs....:lol:

the old shell game huh?...;)

[​IMG]

12. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

Band of gypsies....fyi...

quote...
    Billy Cox is using six Guild Quantum Bass cabinets with two JBL 15" speakers in each of them. Each cabinet is powered by one of those four Showman amps, a Showman Reverb, and a Twin Reverb. The total power Billy has on his speaker cabinets is ONLY 600 watts for a concert level stage rig.

13. vangoghsear

vangoghsear Tele-Meister

I play mostly clean. I need the extra wattage to stay clean and still be heard, but the highest wattage amp I have right now is a 60 watt into 8 ohms Behringer AC112. One group I play with I had to mic that at an indoor gig for about 200 people. Nowadays I am playing at a church that seats 200 or so through a 35 watt Orange Crush. The singers, bass, keyboards and acoustic are all DI through the PA, so it's just me and drums live sound. I think the 10" speaker helps me cut through the mix, and I am told they can hear me. I run the amp up about half for volume and preamp gain. The church's sanctuary where we play is up a set of stairs, down some tight rows and past the organ bench so I am always glad, weight wise, that the Orange can do the job.

So my point is that it also depends on the other sound levels, the tone I want, and where I have to carry it, whether or not my amp is too big or small for the task.

14. Woollymonster

Woollymonster Tele-Meister

So you say that maybe the first amp I bought 20 years ago, a Yorkville Traynor 80 watt twin might have been too much power for someone just taking up the electric guitar?

Well, hell yeah! It is still too much power today for any venue that I am likely ever to play. That amp is still in the family but no one plays it because it is just too loud. Sure you can turn it down to 1 or 2 and get some really awesome cleans with lush reverb. But if you want some black face sag and crunch you need to be at the Ryman, Woods Pavilion, or something bigger. Then, it would sound awesome without making everyone’s ears bleed.

I had no idea what I was buying then and I will never try to justify it. It was dumb and the salesman was happy to sell me the most expensive amp he could. A Princeton, Harvard, or Champ would have served me much better for much longer. I’m not Jimi, Page, or Scholz. Most of us aren’t.

I have had guitar players make my (our) ears bleed in smallish venues with a 65 DRRI. To the point where we got up and left. And I like LOUD music! So after having several amps over the years, I have settled into these three keepers.

Victoria 355115 28 watts (has half power circuit)

[​IMG]

Carr Skylark 12 watts (attenuated down to .1 watt)

[​IMG]

Fender EC Vibro Champ 5 watts (has half power circuit)

[​IMG]

Here are some cool demo’s from guitar players who are better than me:

Carr Skylark

Public forums are for discussing ideas, opinions, etc. These are mine. They are no more or less valid than yours. You should buy and play whatever you want.

Thanks to the OP for posting.

15. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Now I get why he liked doing those great open string trills. They breeze must rearrange your underwear. :eek:

16. golfnut

golfnut Friend of Leo's

I just picked up a 60 Watt Tone King Galaxy head with the matching 2X12 head. I like the crystal clean headroom of the rhythm channel. for maximum head room. Although I'm definitely going to have to invest in a quality attenuator for the lead channel.
    I've tried 1X12 cabs but I've always preferred 2X12. The TK Galaxy cab is one of the lightest 2X12 cabs I've ever owned.

17. fenderfan

fenderfan Tele-Afflicted

No...Being in a surf band that plays a lot, my Showman head through 1x15 is essential.

18. tonytrout

tonytrout Friend of Leo's

I don't think my amp is too big for my needs?

I play in a small three instrument band with three vocalists (I'm one of the vocalists since one other member - a female - is fighting brain cancer - and I, sadly, think she's slowly losing the battle......

My equip is as follows:

Fender 2002 RI Paisley Tele
    Fender '65 DRRI
    DiGiTech GNX2
    Dunlop & Vox wah pedals coupled together.

19. DeweyPeek

DeweyPeek Tele-Holic

Not for me! I think I could actually go a little bigger, this is me with my 1987x through two creambacks. Cranked up pretty high, mixes nicely with the other guitar playing through a twin reverb reissue on 10.

Attached Files:

20. Ian

Ian Tele-Afflicted

(Sigh)......Yeah, it is...

I've been using a Dr.Z MAZ 38 for 6 years or so. Really loved it too. The band I payed with when I got it,was LOUD....powerful loud. The drummer played like a Rock drummer,and even with a Pexiglass cage around him. So the MAZ worked great.
    The problem came when I played with any other group. It was wayyyyy too powerful.
    The transformer blew (again) a few months ago and frankly,the tone had gotten kinda sh*tty. Plus, it's heavy. I was starting to want something more portable,and less loud.
    My new Vibrolux has filled the bill wonderfully.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.