Is you playing 'seasonal'? (My guitars hibernate for summer!)

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by marc2211, Aug 14, 2019.

1. marc2211

marc2211 Tele-Meister

It may be sacrilege to say, but I have found that my playing has become pretty 'seasonal' - I now know that autumn is coming in Europe as I picked up a guitar for the first time in about 3 months!

It seems that in the summer I am always outside, with my kids and family as much as possible, out on vacation, or in a bikepark with my moutain bike riding DH.

Gradually, as it gets a bit colder and the nights draw in, my guitars come out of their summer hibernartion - and a I start again, pretty rejuvinated by the time out.

Wondering if anyone else is the same?

jman72 likes this.
  2. hotpot

hotpot Tele-Afflicted

Yes once the dark nights start coming in I seem to play my guitars a lot more, just too warm & uncomfortable in Summer to bother with them.

3. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I play about the same amount year round which is daily, I venture out to play more in the summer. If I stopped playing for 3 months of the year I would forget even more songs than I do now. I'm also a lazy person so that 3 months could end up turning in to a year or more. I like to keep progressing or at least maintain the level i'm at which calls for a daily playing routine. I also enjoy playing so don't want to stop. It's kind of depressing to not play for a week or two.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
    Toadtele likes this.
  4. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

I am forced to hibernate during arthritis season, which follows no known clock or calendar,

5. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

365 - it’s always on

The acoustic is king in the summer though

6. don71

don71 Tele-Afflicted

I play everyday. Its 50/50 as to electric or acoustic. I keep them close by.

Some days its just noodling and other days its a more constructive learning something new.

7. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Poster Extraordinaire

At best it’s cyclic. Periods of woodshedding followed by periods TV watching...

8. uriah1

uriah1 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

A little more for seasonality, since you have camping and outside stuff.

9. darkwaters

darkwaters Tele-Afflicted

Yep, I find it hard to be inside in the summertime, especially living on a rock in the middle of the North Atlantic where summers are sweet and short. I'll take my acoustic outside for a practice occasionally, but my playing drops by about 90% this time of year. The good news is when I do pick up my guitar I don't notice any deterioration in playing skills or musical memory. At least that's what I tell myself. ;)

10. Stringbanger

Stringbanger Telefied Ad Free Member

Unfortunately, I take long breaks in the summer, but not by choice. My workload increases in the spring and summer.

I’m still trying to get caught up with yard work. That seems never ending. I try to play at least once a week this time of year, but that doesn’t always happen.

11. ronzhd

ronzhd Tele-Meister

I'm kinda the opposite, I drag a parlor acoustic, or my CV tele and THR 10 everywhere I go. Only thing that changes is guitar. I agree with Chunkocaster as well, I cant afford to forget what haven't forgot, LOL!

12. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

Definitely becoming more and more seasonal. I just try to hold on to what I already play during the summer months. Basically minimum daily practice. Winter is for exploring, learning new covers and recording. Spring is definitely my songwriting period and lots of recording.

13. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Friend of Leo's

24/7 year round, must gig, must play

My aging D-1 is an ' Ironman'
    Impervious to weather changes ( always out, year round) and my playing!

14. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

It's usually summer, like 10 months a year. I always look forward to temperatures below freezing because I know it will soon be over and never lasts long.

15. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

there is a war in my house right now..4th year guitar after years off bass....Got Ampeg pf50t & tweaked the P-J & Ibby up to speed...forced to do guitar in a way cause of band..but first love is bass...take the mids out a lil..P bass & motown..am addicted

16. mfowler314

mfowler314 Tele-Meister

My playing is governed by the academic year... During the semesters I'm busier so I play less but in the summer my work load is lighter so I play more.

17. Mjark

Mjark Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Nope not in the least. I play every day unless I'm traveling which I don't do much now.

18. rcole_sooner

rcole_sooner Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Mine have for the most part this Summer. Just has always seemed to be something else going on. But Summer is my favorite season to be outdoors. Just hard to sit inside with the guitar in Summer.

That and I have not taken my guitar to the pool at all this Summer. Just been into relaxing.

19. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

Nope. Every day. If I skip even a day, it's a sure sign I'm sick. I do sometimes feel some pain in my finger joints, but as Dalton (Patrick Swayze) said in Roadhouse, "Pain don't hurt." :twisted: I believe playing daily actually helps keep my fingers more limber.

I've played daily for pretty much since I started playing in '68. When I explain that to others, I typically say "Because it's cheaper than therapy." Come to think of it, after playing most every day for more than half a century, I should be way better than I am. :oops:

20. GTG_Gopher

GTG_Gopher Tele-Meister

It’s humid enough in the summer where I live to let the acoustic hang out outside it’s case, so it sees a lot more use the.

Once it’s cold enough to run the furnace consistently my T style comes out to play more.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.