Is Windows Update necesarry?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by gitlvr, Jul 20, 2013.

1. gitlvr

gitlvr Friend of Leo's

Hi. I do not use Internet explorer on one of my computers. I use Firefox exclusively. When i select "tools" from the tool bar up top, there is no option for Windows Update(naturally), only if I choose Internet Explorer. I am wondering, since my copy of my Window OS continues to receive updates(notification at the bottom), which I have to download and install when ready, and I am not using IE, do I need to occasionally go to Windows Update anyway. And should or can I do this from Firefox, or do I need to use IE?
    Thanks.

2. AndyLowry

AndyLowry Friend of Leo's

Yes, it's important. They're forever patching vulnerabilities. You can get to the updates function in Control Panel; set it to automatic and forget about it.

3. gitlvr

gitlvr Friend of Leo's

Thanks, Andy. Yep, that's done. To be clear, as long as I have automatic updates on, I don't need to visit the Windows Update site?

4. lendryesky

lendryesky Tele-Afflicted

The updates usually don't have anything to do with IE, and patch vulnerabilities in a wide range of Windows services and the kernel. As mentioned it's usually pretty important to stay updated, as annoying as it is.

5. lendryesky

lendryesky Tele-Afflicted

No, you don't need to go to the windows update site as long as you have automatic updates on.

6. gitlvr

gitlvr Friend of Leo's

Thanks to all who replied. Much appreciated.

7. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Since I manage a fund that has billions of dollars in it from my royalties electronically, I have to really be careful about keeping my windows updates, up to date.

8. tazzboy

tazzboy Former Member

Yes it is.

9. emu!

emu! Poster Extraordinaire

Since we are on the subject of updates...

how important is it to keep patches up to date for:

Adobe reader
    Adobe flash
    Apple Quicktime
    Java

10. KenH

KenH Tele-Holic

Very important. They are all susceptible exploitation, especially Java.

11. AndyLowry

If you don't actually use Java, it's best to uninstall it (or at least change the settings in your browser so it can't run there).
    Adobe Reader is so vulnerable that I long ago switched to Foxit. There are other PDF viewers, too, like Sumatra.
    Fortunately, Flash is gradually going away in favor of HTML5's video handling, but we're not quite there yet.
    If you're using Quicktime for video playback, you might find VLC worthwhile-- it handles most any codec there is.

12. Boubou

Boubou Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

Yes I used foxit, the problem is the online forms for insurance are online pdf and can not be opened with Foxit

Sent from my iPad using TDPRI

13. AndyLowry

During the Foxit installation, there's an option to install plugins for whatever browsers you're using. Of course, Chrome has its own PDF viewer.

14. elsewhere

elsewhere Tele-Holic

There is really no reason for a regular consumer to not keep everything in your Windows computer up to date. Some corporate environments might be a special case, or some special software that's not compatible with a new version of something else, but 99% of people should just update every time the program announces there is a new version. That would save a lot of pain.

And yeah, Windows Update uses IE, just like many internal Microsoft tools. That sucks but there's nothing you can really do about it.

15. HarveyTBirdman

HarveyTBirdman Tele-Meister

Billions you say? Manage a very small percentage my way please, I'd even write you a song.

The only catch is the song is going to heavily feature the phrase 'upper decker double blumpkin'. Because it's catchy.

16. Boubou

Boubou Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

I did not know you could update windows with Internet Explorer.
    I go with Windows update.
    Funny!
    Ah yes, as for the foxit/adobe, its not a matter of plugin.
    Its kind of like an adobe PDF maker online, you make your own claim form in PDF format on the insurers website. Only works with adobe. believe me I tried. Got annoyed with all the adobe updates, not to mention its about 10 times the size of Foxit.
    Of course it might have changed since then

17. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

I don't need no songs son, I guess you didn't know this, but I'm Elvis Presley (common knowledge around here) and I got plenty of songs. Wait a minute here, I've lost a hundred pounds, I'm having James overhauled, and I might need that song since I'm plannin' on makin' a comeback just any minute. I'll have my agent get in touch.

Thank ya, thank ya vera much.

18. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

Some would say more important than your OS updates. I support that because most all of the compromises and virus problems at my sites have been from exploits done with those technologies.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.