Is Weight a Joke?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by DavidM1, Feb 4, 2020.

1. stratoman1

stratoman1 Friend of Leo's

I have ranging from LP to SG with Strat, Tele and 339. Weight is the last thing I consider

2. mowgli5555

mowgli5555 Tele-Meister

Same here... I have light guitars, up to heavier guitars.
    Variety is the spice of life.

3. scottser

scottser Tele-Afflicted

Weight is not a joke - it's rude to laugh at mass.
    Mass.
    Geddit?

4. Thanasis

Thanasis TDPRI Member

Coming from playing a Gibson i was looking forward to playing a lighter guitar when I bought myself the telecaster. It feels about the same weight as the SG. Which is still fine as i play sitting down about 80% of the time.

5. Pickingthru

Pickingthru TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

Out of curiosity, I weighed mine tonight. 8 lbs.Looks and plays the same after weighing.

Ignatius likes this.
  6. bananafist

bananafist Tele-Meister

My Eternal teles in my avatar are semi-hollow and weigh5.5-6lbs each. Maple necks and no neck dive with suede straps. IMO they sustain better and resonate acoustically better than my (now all sold) Fenders. My Hahn JC is about 7.5lbs and I do notice the difference. Back and neck problems solved.

7. Ignatius

Ignatius Tele-Afflicted

I think weight is overhyped when it comes to tone/quality of a guitar. Does it matter it all? Maybe or probably, but so does every other little thing that comprises a guitar. In my many years of playing and owning many instruments, I have come to only one absolute conclusion - everything is a crap shoot. For me, if the guitar sounds good and plays well, weight is at the bottom of the list.

In terms of weight being a comfort thing, certainly there are those who have to take that into consideration. At the other end of that spectrum though, there's some irony in people who insist on carting a 70 pound Fender Twin to get "their" tone, yet they insist the guitar must be under 7 pounds :D.

I'm 58. I'm 5'7" and 165 pounds. I'm not a young guy in peak physical shape and I'm not what you'd call a big dude. But I have Teles in the 8+ pound range and I'd have no problem doing a 3 hour gig with my 9.5 pound Les Paul. I guess I'm lucky.

8. Durtdog

Durtdog Poster Extraordinaire

One guy asks a rhetorical question about weight, then we get 8 pages of other guys stating their preferences and presenting their case why their guitar (heavy or light) sounds best.

Sounds about right.

9. skhan007

skhan007 TDPRI Member

I just played the lightest weight Tele I have ever come across in my life. I was at Carter’s vintage in Nashville and they had a 5 pound telecaster! Granted it cost $6000, but it was insanely lightweight.

10. gaddis

gaddis Tele-Afflicted

Is weight a joke? It is to me. In 52 years of playing, I’ve never once weighed a guitar or even looked at a weight spec. It has zero influence on me. If you think you’re guitar is too heavy, you probably need a good strap.

gwjensen likes this.
  11. 2 Headed Goat

2 Headed Goat Friend of Leo's

Crikey, that would be akin to having the weight on a freeway overpass on your shoulders...

Henry Mars likes this.
  12. GearGeek01

GearGeek01 TDPRI Member

I have a Norlin-era 1980 Gibson Les Paul Artisan that holds down the scale at 13lbs 6oz... (ouch)... heaviest guitar I've ever owned or even heard of... I guess the Norlin story is... they were cheap to let the wood dry properly, which meant the moisture in the wood got sealed in when it received it's finish, or something like that... with the tar back "Series VII High Output Pickups" and that heavy body it creates almost zero treble, but tons of luscious mids and bass tones perfect for straight ahead jazz (Joe Pass, Barney Kessel, etc)... sounds like a bog box guitar when strung up with a set of .012"s

Then I have a 1995 (first year) G&L George Fullerton Signature guitar that tips the same scale at 6lbs 8oz... it has the most beautiful warm tone for a single coil guitar... the body is ash... lightest hunk of ash I've ever held... I also have a 1996 G&L George Fullerton which is a lot heavier weight wise and has a lot more treble to the same exact electronics... same tuners, electronics and bot have the G&L soft-Vee neck profile...

13. Gary in Boston

Gary in Boston Friend of Leo's

As with human beings, weight is a thing.

As with humans there is an ideal weight as well as body mass index.

Gary

14. Wallaby

Wallaby Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I think it's a pretty important factor, and want to know, just like all the other specs.

I'm not too concerned about the difficulty this causes manufacturers - they've been aware of the qualities of the wood they use all along, even if we haven't been as discerning as we should be.

15. teleplayr

teleplayr Tele-Afflicted

When you're young and strong weight might not be an issue to you.

But for us older players who have back/health issues weight becomes an issue. Especially when you consider standing up for three to four hours with a "Boat Anchor" strapped on.

There are several popular pro guitarists who have stated that they had issues with heavy guitars when playing shows.

With age comes wisdom... 'Oscar Wilde'.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.