Is Weight a Joke?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by DavidM1, Feb 4, 2020.

1. DavidM1

DavidM1 Tele-Holic

OK, next question...

How does anyone know how much a guitar they want to buy weighs?

Is it:
    A. Turn up to a store with kitchen scales and a “I know what I’m doin’ ” look on their face?

B. Hunt out Craigslist bargains with kitchen scales under one arm?

C. Only buy from sellers with access to reliable kitchen scales and who also have an honest face and/or web site?

D. Just play any guitar and think “that’s pretty good” if it’s pretty good?

2. SpringTank

SpringTank TDPRI Member

I've heard a lot said and claimed about weight over the last 20 years. And while many seek and obviously enjoy the comfort of lighter guitars, one has to consider the sound.

A few years ago I bought a Les Paul. I played seven of the very same model. The weight varied noticeably as did the sound.

The lighter ones had a spongy, less defined sound whereas the heavier ones were brighter and more focused/defined. I chose one somewhere in the middle.

I'm not going to say that heavier sounds better than lighter or vice versa because that is subjective, but there is a noticeable difference one has to consider. All depending on what kind of a sound you want from your guitar.

Some people appreciate the sound characteristics of a heavier guitar. Others prioritize and prefer a lighter, arguably more comfortable feeling guitar.

3. Henry Mars

Henry Mars Tele-Afflicted

I used to play a Peavey T40 Bass 4 hrs a night 5 nights a week. I still have back problems and that was 40 years ago. Makes me want to play air guitar.

2 Headed Goat likes this.
  4. SpringTank

SpringTank TDPRI Member

That's a good question I've always wondered. People seem to know the weight of every guitar within a 1/2 pound or so.

Others may not agree with this philosophy but it's my method of choosing a guitar. Play it unplugged and listen to it. Is it lively and resonant or dull and stiff? Strum the strings open and put your hands on the body and see if you can feel it vibrating. If you can, plug it in and see how it sounds. If you can't, hang it back up and find one that does.

5. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

I haven’t weighed any of mine but I have a special knack for telling if a guitar is heavy or not when I pick it up.

Actually it works for a lot of stuff not just guitars!

Muinarc and DavidM1 like this.
  6. Askwhy

Askwhy Tele-Meister

Easily answered in person. There is this internet thingy that seems to be catching on that may make it possible to buy a guitar without seeing it first. In that case weight, as well as as much other objective info as can be provided, can help a buyer in that situation make a good decision. It's all theoretical for now, but i think the time is coming where at least some sales may be made this way.

Wallaby likes this.
  7. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I sure hope it doesn't happen that way. I own a number of T types, all weighing almost exactly the same, and even with the same pickups and they don't sound the same unless I force it out of them. All in all I am much happier with the guitars I bought in person, than those I bought having never played them.

DavidM1 likes this.
  8. DavidM1

DavidM1 Tele-Holic

Here’s a pic of a great sounding tele that wasn’t bought online. :)

E9253B56-4B26-414D-83A0-DA1DA54B9E72.jpeg

Last edited: Feb 10, 2020
    Askwhy likes this.
  9. bosstone

bosstone Tele-Afflicted

I started playing electric Fenders and Gibsons in the early 60s and we all thought that the heavier the more resonant. My cousin had an extremely light Strat with stock without the whammy bar who thought the same way so got rid of it. None of my 5 electric Fender guitars are over 7lbs, 3 oz and my Ibanez is just over 7lbs. My custom made Tele has a USA Custom quarter sawn, roasted neck and a paulownina body. It comes in at 6lbs 4oz and I love it for its sound, resonance, sustain. A guitar doesn't have to be heavy to have these characteristics and the lightness is a huge benefit in my opinion. Any guitars I purchase will certainly not weigh more than 7lbs.

10. kLyon

kLyon Tele-Meister Gold Supporter

Now that one there is an anchor.)

(Sound great, though...))

Henry Mars likes this.
  11. maxvintage

maxvintage Friend of Leo's

I like them light. I just do. I'm happy to die on light guitar hill.

I've never bought a guitar online

12. dreamsinger

dreamsinger TDPRI Member

When I built my Tele the swamp ash body I got weighed a whopping 8.5lbs by itself. I knew from the gitgo that was a no-go so the solution was to run the back of it through a thickness sander about 1/4" worth and route out a lot of chambers, tummy cut and forearm bevel. Then I found an unusually figured piece of swamp ash that I book matched and glued to the back. Final body weight 4lbs. It's resonant, sustains and makes the Joe Bardens sing.

13. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

weight is NOT a joke, it is a reality.. without it, we would all float off into space.. The Joke is on those that think Light weight guarantees improved tone... OMG the Joke is really on them.

rk

Durtdog and Old Deaf Roadie like this.
  14. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Weight doesn't matter to me. I have mahogany, swamp ash, & solid maple instruments, and believe that fatigue comes from an improperly balanced instrument and lousy setup to a much higher degree than simply weight alone.

15. Askwhy

Askwhy Tele-Meister

But what if it is light AND nitro? ;)

16. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

well. . there ARE exceptions.. in the minds of the delusional :p

r

Durtdog likes this.
  17. nomadh

nomadh Tele-Afflicted

Thats what bugs me about the fender pine models. I grab it and expect to need restraint to keep it from flying across the room and instead it feels like someone glued it to the stand. I know what good pine should weigh. I'm not paying that price for a cheap piece of waterlogged construction lumber. I wouldn't want that lumber if it was for a wall stud.

18. 39martind18

39martind18 Tele-Holic

NOT FOR ME, IT'S NOT:mad: (feelings hurt):(… wait... never mind!:p

19. kingofdogs1950

kingofdogs1950 Tele-Holic

I'm a geezer and somewhat infirm: light guitars for me.
    I currently own guitars that weigh between 6.0 and 8.25 lbs.
    My favorite is a Yamaha AES620HB at 7.25 lbs.
    Back in 1970 I bought a used Gibson Les Paul Custom. A splendid guitar (later stolen, grrrr..)
    It came with a warning sticker on the pickguard:
    "Warning! Use both hands and bend at the knees."
    It was a heavy mother but I loved that guitar. And I took the sticker off.
    I remember thinking at the time that the guitar is heavy and heavy is good.

Mark

20. Telecasterless

Telecasterless Friend of Leo's

I'm really enjoying playing my Epi Les Paul instead of my Gibson Les Paul. Though initially I feel it was primarily due to its 1) ease of playing 2) nice tone, I have also come to realize that it is SUBSTANTIALLY lighter and surprisingly, I really enjoy that!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.