Is Weight a Joke?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by DavidM1, Feb 4, 2020.

1. bsman

bsman Friend of Leo's

What's up next? The influence of wood species on tone?

[​IMG]

2. RoscoeElegante

RoscoeElegante Friend of Leo's

My Tele is so fat that _______________.

Seems to be a thing.

Let's see....

Your SG is so skinny that __________________.

Also: True or True: You should send RoscoeElegante your vintage Tweed amps.

Yep, all good!

Jackroadkill likes this.
  3. FredDairy

FredDairy Friend of Leo's

I tried light weight guitars. I had a 6.5lbs Telecaster made and it wasn't too special.

Most of my Strats and Teles come in around 6.9 - 7.8 lbs. That pound of difference is OK with me. I do notice a Strat being heavy when its over 8.25. I feel like in today's mass production of Fender guitars I shouldnt have to settle for one that I don't like weight wise.

4. 19sixty3

19sixty3 TDPRI Member

That

jackal, bftfender and gregulator450 like this.
  5. Jackroadkill

Jackroadkill Tele-Meister

I spent a lot of time as a toilet-circuit roadie for various bands between the ages of 18 and 35. I wish wish wish that I'd paid attention in my younger days when more experienced folk told me stuff like "Take two trips -you'll thank me later" when I did stupid things like carrying a Marshall 4x12 in each hand up a fire escape. Turns out all those old buggers with knackered backs, knees, shoulders etc may have had a point.

Jlwctn likes this.
  6. Fuggle

Fuggle TDPRI Member

My Baja comes in around 9 lbs, making it heavier than my LP. The weight doesn't bother me too much right now, but the day may come when I switch out the body for a lighter one. 7.5 lbs would be pretty nice.

7. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I agree that playing an electric guitar unplugged is not the purpose of the instrument. (I also think it creates bad playing habits and technique, but that’s a different discussion.)

But what do people mean by “Resonance”? I do find that electric guitars that sustain a long time unplugged when set up properly also sustains effortlessly when electrified. I do like that.

Is “resonance“ something else?

Last edited: Feb 5, 2020
    boris bubbanov likes this.
  8. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Friend of Leo's

No.

9. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's

I think it matters.. at least if you stand. Guitar is a repetitive strain activity. No different than working on a factory line doing the same thing over and over. It's smart to think about what's going to mess you up in the long run. Taking care of your physical fitness only goes so far to counteract repetitive strain.

I mostly like to stand to play. My acoustic never bothers me, it doesn't weigh anything. My G&L Doheny (1-piece swamp ash) is noticeably lighter than my MIM Tele was despite the JM style body seemingly being bigger than the Tele body. (Hard to say as the JM body has a Trem cutout, larger routes than a Tele, and is contoured.) My shoulder can feel the difference. I've never weighed any of them though.

10. SPECTRUM001

SPECTRUM001 TDPRI Member

I recently rejected a 2000 American Standard due to its weight.

Came in at about 9 and a half pounds, which was just too heavy for me. Which was a shame, as it sounded good...

I also had a play on a new Duosonic that was so light it felt too much like a toy.

I guess when it is right you know pretty quick. As for the sound, I have never made a scientific link...

11. bsman

bsman Friend of Leo's

I love light guitars, and I care little for any inherent "tonal" differences, because any such differences are easily compensated for in amp settings, pedals, etc. IMO, there is no reason to be slinging nine or ten pounds, and I have sold a fair number of guitars that I found too heavy.

12. Gene O.

Gene O. Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

The Weight is a great song! I'd say 7.5 - 8lbs is ideal. Up to 9lbs is okay, but more than that starts to feel heavy. I have one Tele that weighs 7lbs and it's pretty close to feeling too light. My old ES-125 weighs 6.5lbs and that's just too light. But that's not a regular gigging guitar.

gwjensen and MilwMark like this.
  13. gregulator450

gregulator450 Tele-Holic

For me, a resonant guitar feels more lively and is more fun to play. Personally it's kind of exciting when I strum a Les Paul and can feel the whole thing vibrating. It enhances the playing experience for me, but I can't say how much it changes the sound. Also, the most resonant solid guitars I have played seem to sustain longer; the most resonant guitars I have played were not the heaviest ones either.

14. gregulator450

gregulator450 Tele-Holic

^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    This wins the thread.

15. bo

bo Poster Extraordinaire

If you're in a band that does three sets or better a night it is definitely a thing. Let your back be your guide.

16. Art VanDelay

Art VanDelay Tele-Afflicted

Gravity kills....

8barlouie likes this.
  17. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Sometimes.

Other times, no.

But I sure agree that finding a great sounding, great playing neck is the right place to start. You gotta be careful as the neck reaches 600 grams, that a too light body won't balance.

Chunkocaster and gwjensen like this.
  18. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

upload_2020-2-5_13-56-14.jpeg Deacon John has been known to play a "proper" guitar much of his career, but when I saw him at Jazz Fest 2019 he was playing a Parker Fly I think. His tone was terrible, but the guy is not young and I don't think he's all that concerned with such details anymore.

If you're of a certain age and you're just trying to stay working, playing music out, I suppose we will make allowances if you choose a lightweight guitar and it gets you through the show -even if it doesn't sound very good. Let the sidemen make most of the noise, for you.

19. mschafft

mschafft TDPRI Member

With two back surgeries I NEED lightweight guitars to be able to play them.
    I'm not interested in comparing their tone with guitars I can't physically play anymore but it's been my experience that great sounding guitars are all over the weight spectrum.

20. zeedoctour

zeedoctour Tele-Meister

Sustain is easily affected by a guitars natural resonance. Vibrations of the instrument itself (not the strings) feedback into the strings via the same path the strings vibrations use to create that resonance in the guitar itself. It's a feedback loop. If you have a guitar (this is hypothetical because guitars cannot vibrate forever) that never stops vibrating, it will sustain the signal going to the amp forever, as the strings cannot stop vibrating in sympathy unless you physically damp them.

I am a definite lightweight lover. I have a ridiculously light 5 pound strat (well it's under 6 pounds but there are some ounces in addition to the 5 pounds) that sustains really well, and has an airy tone that played clean is amazing, haunting ... quite beautiful. Yeah it has a single coil pickup at the neck that contains no pole pieces or slugs ... just wire round around a coil with a magnet at the center of the coil and shoved into a metal tube. This is how the Danelectro lipstick tube pickups were made. It's naturally very resonant.

I have another strat that weighs a little more (but still under 7 pounds) that sustains even longer than the 5 pound example, but it has a device that is responsible for this installed in the back that anchors the tremolo springs anchor claw solidly into the wood ... it doesn't decrease/increase tension on that point of contact when the springs change length. It's called a Tremedic and it has given this strat a complex range of harmonic content that flat out blows my mind, and the extra benefit is sustain that just lasts and lasts and lasts. Even with a traditional vintage 6 screw bridge plate it never goes out of tune, not even a little bit. I play it clean a lot just because the tone is so rich and wonderful and round ... and when "in between" has a quack that is just awesome sounding. The neck pickup when alone would make David Gilmour cry, but it's a weird Valco single coil design from the 50's that Gretsch eventually copied and named the Hi'LoTron. Just beautiful sounding, full and round and airy like Ry Cooder walking into a haunted house.

The Tremedic solid brass claw anchor.

cancercaster_1.jpg

People will do and say whatever they are motivated to do or say. I find heavy guitars a pain in the neck and when I can get harmonic content and sustain like this out of a light weight guitar well that's where I will be hanging out at.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.